S1 Vivaldi II Back side: two different looks

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Louis

S1 Vivaldi II Back side: two different looks

Post by Louis »

While perusing through different pages on the forums, I stumbled across pictures of the back of Vivaldis. As many are put against a wall, there are only few pictures of the back side available on the Net.

I've found two different looks:
- one with "La Spaziale" written in black on a chromed middle portion
- one with "La Spaziale" written in chrome on a black (plastic? painted?) middle portion

I'm just curious here: what is the latest version? It doesn't seem to be related to the plumb-in vs mini versions...

Here are examples of the two:
Mini, black on chrome: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1177
Plumbed-in, chrome on black: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=599
Original S1, black on chrome: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=480
Plumbed-in, black on chrome: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobusn/set ... 8583/show/ (among the last pictures)
Unknown model, chrome on black: http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... /vivaldi_2
Mini, chrome on black: http://www.espressoplanet.com/coffee-an ... -tank.html
Louis

Re: S1 Vivaldi II Back side: two different looks

Post by Louis »

No comments/explanation on this from users?

Thanks.
jbb
God Shot

Post by jbb »

Hi Louis

My 2004 machine has chrome lettering stamped into the chrome back piece, so its different from the ones you've posted. I'll put up a picture when i get the chance.
Endo

Post by Endo »

My Mini from 2009 is black lettering on chrome.
Bitches_Brew

Post by Bitches_Brew »

it looks to me like the ones with colored side panels come with the chrome on black. the ones with black side panels are black on chrome.

the last picture of the mini with a black back looks touched up for the white background.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Bitches_Brew wrote:it looks to me like the ones with colored side panels come with the chrome on black. the ones with black side panels are black on chrome.

the last picture of the mini with a black back looks touched up for the white background.
Agreed. Photoshoped. Only Minis I've seen are black logo on chrome.

(edit: This is apparently not true any longer).
Last edited by Endo on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

My mini is a Dec'10 model with white rubbery logo on very dark gray background, like on the last picture but I have the black side panels. So far, I see that latest minies seem to share a few components with the plumbed version. So far, on mine:

* portafilters have plastic handles with no rubber ring - as on the plumbed S1V2
* it has the longer steam wand - as on the plumbed S1V2 (I have seen it offered as an option for the mini on some sites)
* back panel logo - apparently as on the plumbed S1V2

I will post a picture next time I pull it out.
comrade

Post by comrade »

So the SIV2 does comes with a longer steam are than the mini eh? I just noticed mine was longer than it shows on most vids I see online. I know it was an option but not stalk on my SIV2. When I noticed the longer arm on mine I was worried that it was swapped out for some reason. Can some one clarify that for me. FWIW the back panel of my new machine manufactured in July 2010 is chrome.

Heading state side to pick up my filter/softening system and other goodies sent to North Dakota from Chris Coffee this weekend. Should be up and running soon, can't wait.

Cheers
Endo

Post by Endo »

GDK wrote:My mini is a Dec'10 model with white rubbery logo on very dark gray background, like on the last picture but I have the black side panels. So far, I see that latest minies seem to share a few components with the plumbed version. So far, on mine:

* portafilters have plastic handles with no rubber ring - as on the plumbed S1V2
* it has the longer steam wand - as on the plumbed S1V2 (I have seen it offered as an option for the mini on some sites)
* back panel logo - apparently as on the plumbed S1V2
I stand corrected. Seems the newest Minis are no longer JUST black logo on chrome on the back of the machine.

The new "rubber-less" portfilter handle has been out for a while. The triple comes this way as well, so my PFs will no longer match. :-(

I hadn't heard about the new steam wand change. Does the new longer wand fit over the drip tray? I have the longer S5 arm, but it doesn't fit. Am I right to assume the new wand is more than the old short stock arm but shorter than the S5?
comrade

Post by comrade »

My arm does not fit over the drip tray unless you turn it 90 degrees and move it back. A bit of a pain actually. I was hoping for the shorter one.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

comrade wrote:My arm does not fit over the drip tray unless you turn it 90 degrees and move it back. A bit of a pain actually. I was hoping for the shorter one.
I may be wrong about the arm length on mine. Looking at this picture and measuring the proportions of the two arms (horizontal/vertical sections ratio), I am sure I have the longer:

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... s5steamarm

For example, I can barely fit it flush water into the very front left corner of the tray, but arm already touches the tray at that point and cannot be tucked further.

Endo, funny as I have similar concern about the portafilter handle change as when I buy the naked one from Espresso Planet (SOON), it will not match my set as that one has the rubber ring: http://www.espressoplanet.com/coffee-an ... ilter.html

I hope they have older picture there.
Endo

Post by Endo »

I took photos of both my short and long steam arms here:

http://www.s1cafe.com./viewtopic.php?f= ... e9c#p12011
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

Mine looks like the S5. On this picture the tip is resting on the grid already:
Attachments
Picture5.JPG
Picture5.JPG (106.66 KiB) Viewed 11362 times
jbb
God Shot

Post by jbb »

While my S1 is down thought I'd photograph the back and add on to this thread. This is a circa 2004 machine. Embossed/stamped clear lettering on chrome, maybe sorta similar to the style of the front lettering on some of the units that are being shipped currently. Anybody else have a machine with back lettering like this?
DSCF1520.JPG
DSCF1520.JPG (69.95 KiB) Viewed 11120 times
DSCF1503.jpg
DSCF1503.jpg (62.42 KiB) Viewed 11120 times

Return to “General Q&A”