Lights on

Post photos and descriptions of your S1 V1, S1 V2, and/or S1 Dream coffee set ups here.
The Paramedic

Lights on

Post by The Paramedic »

I know this mod has been made before, but I just had to share it with you. It looks fan-f......tastic if you ask me. :grin:
Daylight
Daylight
Led.jpg (48.1 KiB) Viewed 69603 times
night
night
LED nat.jpg (33.96 KiB) Viewed 69603 times
The Paramedic

Re: Lights on

Post by The Paramedic »

Here's the whole setup.
Here's the setup with my Mazzer Major moddet with a mini funnel and an antistatic grid.
Here's the setup with my Mazzer Major moddet with a mini funnel and an antistatic grid.
Setup scaleret.jpg (68.98 KiB) Viewed 69601 times
Steup scaleret 2.jpg
Steup scaleret 2.jpg (67.11 KiB) Viewed 69601 times
oton

Post by oton »

Love it. Well done mate!

Could you explain what kind of lights, cables, etc. did you use please?
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Let me guess... Ikea light pods?

Whatever yours are, they look very nice and discrete. Well done.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
The Paramedic

Post by The Paramedic »

Thanks.

Yes it is the IKEA pods. They are very easy to install.
This link is to a danish IKEA but I guess you can find them in your local IKEA.

http://www.ikea.com/dk/da/catalog/products/40116541
The Paramedic

Post by The Paramedic »

I just moved. And here's the setup at my new place.
Attachments
La.Spaz.Major..jpg
La.Spaz.Major..jpg (47.87 KiB) Viewed 69504 times
Endo

Post by Endo »

Those Ikea LED lights look pretty sweet. I need to get a set.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Here are my Ikea Dioder lights. ($49).

I may move them outwards like on the other examples (perhaps too hot where they are). But since you get 2 spares (a package of 4), I thought I'd try them inwards, closer to the group head and see if they hold up to the heat.

Besides, something I didn't realize until I tried it.....the steam wand on the Mini is more inboard than on the plumbed in S1, so I even if I wanted to, mounting the left LED more outboard would be not ideal. Also, the wand would hit the LED if you move it forward all the way.
IMG_2570 (480x361).jpg
IMG_2570 (480x361).jpg (94.57 KiB) Viewed 69409 times
IMG_2569 (480x320).jpg
IMG_2569 (480x320).jpg (123.54 KiB) Viewed 69409 times
IMG_2568 (480x431).jpg
IMG_2568 (480x431).jpg (173.05 KiB) Viewed 69409 times
The Paramedic

Post by The Paramedic »

It looks good Endo.
Try turning of the light in your kitchen (after dark) and turn on the steam, it looks awsome with the LED lights :grin:

I used my 2 spare LED lights at the buttom of my machine. Not for any purpose really. Guess you can compare it to when people put lights under their cars!! It looks good but it has no purpose at all.. 8)

Kasper
oton

Post by oton »

The Paramedic wrote: I used my 2 spare LED lights at the buttom of my machine. Not for any purpose really. Guess you can compare it to when people put lights under their cars!! It looks good but it has no purpose at all.. 8)
Say what?

8) 8) 8)
The Paramedic

Post by The Paramedic »

Wow Oton really nice picture. What lights do you have installed?
oton

Post by oton »

It's a Led Strip 5050 SMD RGB Waterproof. It comes with a remote controller to on/off and change colors.
Endo

Post by Endo »

At IKEA they also sell the "multi-color" Dioder lights for $39.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20119932

They cycle between 7 colors (fancy), but I decided against them since they seems to have less LEDs and less light intensity. Still, they might be cool for ambient lighting effects. Here they are in use on a kitchen counter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJDKBCtxBPY
symbology

Post by symbology »

Yeah, the lights are nice. I might need to make my way to Ikea. :grin:
symbology

Post by symbology »

I just ordered up some stuff for my mini.

I decided to go with the waterproof flexible light strip (black).

I saw some of this stuff at a local light reseller and it looks pretty nice. We will see how it comes out.

It is adhesive backed and I plan on putting flexible magnet sections on the back (kind of like the flexible refrigerator magnets). I will add some clear tape to keep the magnets in place, but also keep the magnets from scratching the surface of the machine.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... 2FWFLS.htm
Endo

Post by Endo »

The Ikea Dioder comes as a strip version too.There is also this cheaper version, but I assume it is not water-proof. Not sure it needs to be though.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60180767

The strip may not be as bright as the multi-LED Dioder pod though.

I love the pod LEDs. I leave it on most of the day. The contrast in the cup is beautiful to look at.

Still, there are some small issues. On the Mini, it's a VERY tight fit between the hot water tap and the grouphead. The POD sits only about 1/4" away from both. Yet it's still working after 3 months (I got 2 spares anyway). It also sits over the split line between the lower front chrome panel and upper. This means you can't remove the front panel (to adjust the OPV let's say).
symbology

Post by symbology »

The problem with the Ikea strip version is it is too big, it is also hard to use it around the available spaces on the "roof" of the mini. The stuff I ordered is pretty flat, it is about 10mm wide, and only 3mm tall. It can also be cut into sections and spliced together to allow for better coverage while avoiding the center area (group head). I plan on using 30-36 LED's total. Also it will all be held in place with flexible magnet strips and can easily be removed at any time. Another big plus for these IMO, is the ability to run a string of them at the top of the black plastic side wall. These will be angled down slightly and be pointing at the side of the group head. It will offer up better lighting at the bottom of the PF, and a much more even light across the entire area.

If it works out as planned anyway. lol

I did not go with the pods because of many of the "small issues" that you have run into. I can run a string of these lights right in front of the steam arm, there is no clearance issue at all.
symbology

Post by symbology »

I got my lights in yesterday. These things are pretty bright and throw out a wide beam of light. I kind of wish I would have ordered the dimmer switch at the same time, I might need that. Maybe I will just wire in a pot with my switch. Maybe I will just use fewer lights than I had planned to. However, that would not allow for as much light coverage which is what I am going after.

These are nice little lights. Around 10mm wide, and about 3mm tall. Somewhat flexible and weatherproof. I hope to have them installed by the end of this weekend.
Last edited by symbology on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

After reading this thread, I also ordered the same lights with 12V adapter. Looking forward to your findings.
symbology

Post by symbology »

I will get some pics of my light setup posted in a day or two. I will say this.... they sure are nice to have. As others have stated, well worth the trouble.

It is kind of funny, I can actually see (clearly) the bottom of of the drip tray now. It was always just a dark void before. Seeing what is flowing in the cup is nice too. :)

Overall I am happy with my choice of lights, but after completing the install, I think I could have done some things differently.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

Any progress with the lights installation? I just received mine so any words of wisdom are appreciated :grin:
symbology

Post by symbology »

Which ones did you buy? The same flexible light strip that I bought?

They are awesome. I like them a lot.

I have my machine backed up against a wall, so I routed my power cable from the back into the side cavity. There was a gap between the back panel and the side panel. I then routed the cable up between the side panel, and the frame.

I have not installed the switch yet, but I plan to install a toggle switch in place of the lower (front) screw that holds the side panel on. I do not want to drill any more holes in the frame, or the plastic.

I will try to get some pics taken tomorrow.

-Allen
symbology

Post by symbology »

Here is a rough diagram of how I have the lights setup.

Tips

- use a smaller high temp (rated) wire for the connections around the group head. I also wrapped them in heat shrink tubing, but I think that it made them too stiff.
- I used small magnets to hold the lights in place. I pulled the backing off of the adhesive on the lights, put a magnet every inch or so, then covered them in black electrical tape (trimmed off the excess). This will allow the lights to be moved / removed and the magnets will not scratch the front panel.
Attachments
LED Setup for Mini Vivaldi II.GIF
LED Setup for Mini Vivaldi II.GIF (5.15 KiB) Viewed 68869 times
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

Thanks a lot! These are useful hints. I think I got the same lights - black flexible strip, warm white colour, 1 ft length. I also purchased from them a 5W 12V external adapter.
Endo

Post by Endo »

symbology wrote:Here is a rough diagram of how I have the lights setup.
Diagram looks good but let's see a photo!
symbology

Post by symbology »

Endo wrote:
symbology wrote:Here is a rough diagram of how I have the lights setup.
Diagram looks good but let's see a photo!
Will get some photos up tomorrow.
symbology

Post by symbology »

Here are some photos.

I still need to make some minor adjustments to magnet location, but it is pretty close. I ended up drilling a hole in the bottom of the right side panel for my mini toggle switch. My idea to install it on the screw/mount hole would not work because it is inside of the metal frame.

One more tip.... I cut my light strip up just using a utility knife and sawing/chopping it apart. Then, on the bottom by the wire connector pads I cut a fine slice across the bottom and used my thumb to rub the soft epoxy layer off. I did this a few times being careful not to cut too deep. After 2-3 slices I was able to expose the copper pads and solder my wires on.
Attachments
String of LED's before being installed
String of LED's before being installed
mini_led_light_string.jpg (27.8 KiB) Viewed 68823 times
What it looks like in the cup (using daughter's Cheeto)
What it looks like in the cup (using daughter's Cheeto)
mini_led_inside_cup.jpg (86.48 KiB) Viewed 68823 times
View of installed lights
View of installed lights
mini_led_under_roof.jpg (69.52 KiB) Viewed 68823 times
Front view without ambient light
Front view without ambient light
mini_led_dark.jpg (50.68 KiB) Viewed 68823 times
Front view
Front view
mini_led_front.jpg (69.52 KiB) Viewed 68823 times
MichaelS

Post by MichaelS »

Bravo... that looks really sharp!

I may pursue something similar once I get my flavor profiles worked out.

Michael
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

These moded machines should be renamed as "LaSpaziale S1 Vegas" models. :mrgreen:
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
symbology

Post by symbology »

GDK wrote:Thanks a lot! These are useful hints. I think I got the same lights - black flexible strip, warm white colour, 1 ft length. I also purchased from them a 5W 12V external adapter.
One more tip for you. The back section of wire that crosses the group runs underneath the group. The front section runs up and over the group. I just push the end of the string up and over the group, then out the other side.

Good luck.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Here's a cup view with the Dioder pods as well. Lots of light in the cup.
Dioder pod, light on the cup
Dioder pod, light on the cup
IMG_2722 (480x320).jpg (113.59 KiB) Viewed 68789 times
The Dioders go on so easily (on in 5 minutes, wires out the bottom, and no tools required). I moved them forward more this week (in front of the hot water tap). This makes it so I can remove the front panel easier.
symbology

Post by symbology »

Endo wrote:Here's a cup view with the Dioder pods as well. Lots of light in the cup.
IMG_2722 (480x320).jpg
The Dioders go on so easily (on in 5 minutes, wires out the bottom, and no tools required). I moved them forward more this week (in front of the hot water tap). This makes it so I can remove the front panel easier.
Looks good. It is amazing how much a difference the lighting makes IMO.

Yeah, I really wanted to be able to remove the front panel and not have to worry about lights stuck on with tape etc.... Cool that you were able to move yours outbound and avoid this too.
peter

Post by peter »

Endo,

How do the dioder lights mount?
Endo

Post by Endo »

peter wrote: How do the dioder lights mount?
They come with sticky tape on the back. I peeled them off when I didn't like the location and stuck them back without a problem. They come with a nice little toggle switch too that I hide in the back (near my timer). The wires from the pods pass through the hole next to the grouphead then down inside and out the same frame hole as the timer.

They may seem close to the group head and hot water tap, but this is the best place I could find. You may have more room on the regular S1 since the tap is a little more to the left side.

In any case, I'm not worried about steam or heat since it comes with 4 pods, so I have 2 spares. So far, no problems at all.
Dioder mounting
Dioder mounting
IMG_2735.JPG (40.25 KiB) Viewed 68769 times
peter

Post by peter »

Thank you sir!

Did you plug yours into the wall? What would you think about splicing them into the machines circuit somewhere?
Endo

Post by Endo »

peter wrote:Did you plug yours into the wall? What would you think about splicing them into the machines circuit somewhere?
I plugged mine in. Just so easy. I wasn't sure I would keep them at first, but now I leave it on a lot of the time. Makes a nice, low power kitchen nightlight too.

I don't see much point in splicing them in. I want to be able to remove them with no trace they were there.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

symbology wrote:
GDK wrote:Thanks a lot! These are useful hints. I think I got the same lights - black flexible strip, warm white colour, 1 ft length. I also purchased from them a 5W 12V external adapter.
One more tip for you. The back section of wire that crosses the group runs underneath the group. The front section runs up and over the group. I just push the end of the string up and over the group, then out the other side.

Good luck.
Thanks, I am planning to install mine tomorrow :grin:
symbology

Post by symbology »

Good luck. Mine have been great.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

OK... Lights are on.

Here is what I did. I decided to keep it simple and placed the two stripes side by side - no space in between. Placed the segment in front of the wand/hot water spout - no lights stuck on the lower front panel. For a magnet, I used two old magnetic business cards that people stick on fridge doors. Cut the cards in half, lengthwise and stuck the two LED stripes on it. The magnets have rubber feel and do not scratch the surface even if you slide them around.

First segment stuck on a magnetic card half - almost ready:
IMG_001.jpg
IMG_001.jpg (131.29 KiB) Viewed 68587 times
The two segments now soldered, insulation to be applied shortly. Magnetic cards, like the one shown here, worked perfectly:
IMG_002.jpg
IMG_002.jpg (164.86 KiB) Viewed 68587 times
Lights on:
IMG_003.jpg
IMG_003.jpg (83.94 KiB) Viewed 68587 times
IMG_004.jpg
IMG_004.jpg (108.86 KiB) Viewed 68587 times
IMG_005.jpg
IMG_005.jpg (102.05 KiB) Viewed 68587 times
WAF was easy to obtain :grin:

Thanks for all the hints.
symbology

Post by symbology »

Looks good GDK, smart move not bothering with the string in the back.
BobUSN

Post by BobUSN »

These all look so nice!

I bought these battery-operated lights for another purpose, but when they came in the mail today I had to give them a try. Certainly not so elegant as the other solutions, but I'm satisfied...for now!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobusn/591 ... /lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobusn/590 ... /lightbox/
Endo

Post by Endo »

6 months and I must say I can't imagine not having the Ikea lights.

Super cool at night too ! 8)
Lights at Night
Lights at Night
IMG_3237 (480x343).jpg (71.29 KiB) Viewed 68049 times
LDT

Post by LDT »

I just finished adding IKEA Dioder lights to my Mini. Installed them on the side since they are so thin. The front stainless panel still goes on and off easily. There were four lights in the package for $29.99, but I just used two. Way more wire than needed so the next project is to remove some of the wiring and re-splice.
Here are a couple of photos:

Endo

Post by Endo »

You'd be much better off shining them down into the cup. Side lighting is very unnatural and unflattering.
Dan Bollinger

Post by Dan Bollinger »

I am pleased with the results from using the LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs.com I put three of the self-adhesive units under the machine's cowl. I also added a light strip under the counter to illuminate the grinder and tamping area. All are powered by the wall wart. I installed a mini-toggle switch under the counter to turn them on and off.

What I ordered:

1 CPS-12VDC-xW:12VDC CPS series Power Supply - 6 Watt

1 RLBN-x30X3SMD:RLBN-x30X3SMD series Narrow Rigid Light Bar w/3-Chip LEDs - Natural White

1 C21-Px:C21-Px series Power Jumpers for Light Bars

6 LBM-x3SMD:LBM-x3SMD series High Power LED Module String - Natural White
slovan

Post by slovan »

I am using the IKEA Dioder multicolor LEDs. I change them depending on my mood. :)

CoffeeLegs

Post by CoffeeLegs »

Hi Guys looking good ;)

Got myself a pack of the Dioder lights from ikea, anyone talk me through where you routed the cables or the steps you took installing them?

Many thanks
A
slovan

Post by slovan »

CoffeeLegs wrote:anyone talk me through where you routed the cables or the steps you took installing them?
Honestly, it's very easy and straight forward. All the wires passes through where the group head extends out from the body. Then there are holes on the bottom of the frame for you to feed the wires out to the exterior. All you really need to do is remove the top cover to do this so it's very simple.
CoffeeLegs

Post by CoffeeLegs »

Okay thanks Slovan, i wasnt aware of the holes at the bottom of the frame, thats great. I was thinking the holes at the top would be messy with wires on show and in the way of the cups etc.

I picked up some velcro strips with sticky backs that will hopefully hold the lights in place and can then be adjusted slightly if needs be.
slovan

Post by slovan »

CoffeeLegs wrote:I picked up some velcro strips with sticky backs that will hopefully hold the lights in place and can then be adjusted slightly if needs be.

That might be overkill but maybe not. It really depends on your OCD level. :D The LEDs have a gentle and broad spread vs a focused output that would make it hard to position to get an even distribution of light. At any rate, good luck with your install and post your pics and feedback here for future reference.
CoffeeLegs

Post by CoffeeLegs »

I hear you slovan :) There is a nice spread on them alright.

I popped the top off and fished them through no problem, the velcro sticks them on perfect and i covered the cables internally with insulation tape like was sugguested. Also picked a route that was out of contact with the group. Im delighted with how they turned out, i always found myself ontop of the cup to look for blonding!
IMAG17712.jpg
IMAG17712.jpg (53.67 KiB) Viewed 61350 times
slovan

Post by slovan »

Looks great and thanks for posting a pic and feedback. It's so easy to do that it should be on all Vivaldiis!
tglodjo

Post by tglodjo »

Finally got my new (to me) machine in. Here she is with Ikea Dioder LED lights. This is my second Mini V and I absolutely love her!
Attachments
IMG_1439.jpg
IMG_1439.jpg (191.01 KiB) Viewed 61270 times
IMG_1441.JPG
IMG_1441.JPG (217.69 KiB) Viewed 61270 times
IMG_1438.JPG
IMG_1438.JPG (186.31 KiB) Viewed 61270 times
rktcyntst
Americano

Post by rktcyntst »

Just installed the multi colored ikea lights on my S1

Ikea Dioder on La Spaziale S1
http://youtu.be/xEarlLd3Aqs
ppower

Post by ppower »

Thanks for the idea on this so many years ago. I finally picked up a Vivaldi II a few months ago and was waiting for a trip to IKEA to buy my lights. Why only 2 lights when you can fit 3?
Attachments
IMG_2975.JPG
IMG_2975.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 43252 times
IMG_2973.JPG
IMG_2973.JPG (988 KiB) Viewed 43252 times
IMG_2972.JPG
IMG_2972.JPG (839.53 KiB) Viewed 43252 times

Return to “Pride Page”