Descale a Mini

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
Barabus

Descale a Mini

Post by Barabus »

Does anyone have a link to the procedure to descale the Mini? I have seen John's take the boilers apart guide and bead blast the heating elements- that is not what I want. I just want the process for flushing with Citric Acid. My intention is to do this every 6 months so I do not need to take the machine apart. I have looked but have not found a good comprehensive guide for a flush descaling on the Mini.
Dodger1

Re: Descale a Mini

Post by Dodger1 »

This was done on an older version, that did not have a drain plug in bottom of the steam boiler, but it's the only one I've ever seen.

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/s1-mini-vivaldi-descaling
Barabus

Post by Barabus »

Dodger1 wrote:This was done on an older version, that did not have a drain plug in bottom of the steam boiler, but it's the only one I've ever seen.

Old and out of date unfortunately. Maybe I should video chronicle of what I end up doing after I determine best practices. I am thinking drain steam boiler then descale powder to warm water in reservoir and draw off about 3L thru the group and steam/hot water then let sit over night.

What says the wise and helpful forum members?
Endo

Post by Endo »

Barabus wrote:
Dodger1 wrote:This was done on an older version, that did not have a drain plug in bottom of the steam boiler, but it's the only one I've ever seen.

Old and out of date unfortunately.
The question in that link is actually me. Dave was nice enough to write up a procedure to answer my question. He provides a procedure that works, but it might be time consuming. He doesn't address the brew boiler descaling, only the steam boiler.

I also posed that same question to LaSpaziale and Chris Coffee. I got a few suggestions. They said they empty the steam boiler by tilting the machine on it's back and opening the steam wand! (I think I prefer the syringe method better....and it seems safer!).

Soon after posting the above and after at least one review commenting about the lack of a drain on the sealed boiler, a drain suddenly appeared on the Mini. The new boiler with drain on the Mini was $169 last time I asked about a year ago. I figure no use replacing it until it (or the heating element) finally goes.

I've been using RO water for the last year and I opened my vacuum breaker not long ago to peek inside with a flashlight and everything looks spotless (even the heating element). So I must assume the brew boiler looks the same. So in other words, I have no plans to descale or open the boilers in the near future.

Still, that day will one day arrive. At that point, I am still planning on using the "Syringe" method in the link you provided for the steam boiler. I'm not sure about the brew boiler. I asked in different forums about putting Dezcal in the resevoir as you suggested, but I got no answer. I must say I'm not convinced it's a good idea. Do you think you would ever get it all out?

Instead, since there is a big brass nut on the back of the brew boiler, I figured I would simply remove that and give it a good hand cleaning as JohnB had done. I assume I would need to replace the gasket as well so I was going to order one of those before I attempted anything.

Next time I'm down at Chris Coffee, I'll ask again to see if they have any new ideas for descaling the Mini. Or perhaps they will make a video! (that would be awesome).

If you come up with a good, easy solution, I'd love to hear about it.
Barabus

Post by Barabus »

Endo,

Sensi, teach me the way.

Barry
Endo

Post by Endo »

Barabus wrote: Maybe I should video chronicle of what I end up doing after I determine best practices. I am thinking drain steam boiler then descale powder to warm water in reservoir and draw off about 3L thru the group and steam/hot water then let sit over night.

What says the wise and helpful forum members?
I made some calls and collected some good descaling ideas for my Mini. I think you are on the right track with your technique described above but I think you'll also need to drain and then manually refill the steam boiler with Dezcal prior to turning it back on (by removing the vacuum breaker). Several people have advised me against emptying the steam boiler completely then turning on the machine due to the danger of exposing the permanent heating element.

I plan on giving it a try in a couple of weeks (after my surfing trip).

I don't expect the Dezcal to do a prefect job, but I will eventually take the brew boiler apart and get out what doesn't get removed by the Dezcal. As for the Mini steam boiler? That might need to be replaced eventually, but hopefully not before 10 years if I do this annual Dezcal routine (or when the heater burns out). At $169, it's not the end of the world.

I'll take pictures and let you all know how the descaling goes.
oton

Post by oton »

Endo wrote:
I plan on giving it a try in a couple of weeks (after my surfing trip).
I have to ask it. Are you the parachute guy? :headbang:
Endo

Post by Endo »

It's called snowkiting. (One of my favourite winter sports). In the spring and summer I switch to the water and do lot of kitesurfing and windsurfing.

It's an extreme sport. If you're interested in trying, here's super cool video of a guy named Chasta climbing the Mt Etna Volcano in Sicily using his kite. Just surreal stuff! :bounce:

http://vimeo.com/9139310

Check out the part at 5:00 where he's flying over the open crater. :shock:

Return to “Mini General Q&A”