How I added LED lighting to my Vivaldi II

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
SwingT

How I added LED lighting to my Vivaldi II

Post by SwingT »

I don't see as well as I used to, and had been using a small bright surefire flashlight to look at my pulls.

Then I saw Dana Leighton's thread on coffeegeek about adding LED's to his machine.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/m ... ods/440373

much of the information you need is in that thread. Basically, the way to do it is to use the IKEA products that Dana used, due to the heat rating of the wire. I put links to the stuff I bought in that thread, which I liked and would use in other applications where there is no heat issue.

Prior to someone posting about heat ratings on the wire, I ordered some stuff (linked in the previous thread) and simply routed it away from contact with the grouphead or other high temperature items. I did some soldering, used some heat shrink tape over my solder joints and put wire nuts over the lead out - I'm thinking that at some point in time I will wire the setup into the Vivaldi.

I had problems with the foam double sided adhesive tape holding - so I pulled the tape off and used 3M weatherstripping adhesive from my corner auto parts store.

Dana Leighton was gracious enough to send me what he had left over - temp rated wire and a switch that made it easy for me rout the switch out and leaves me enough higher temp wire to use for the run to have it switch on and off with the unit.

Again, while I am posting pics of my install - it was a bit more hassle than it would have been just to buy the IKEA unit Dana did - and was about the same cost.

Well worth the trouble - love being able to see under there.

Pretty cool as a night light, also.

going to attach pics -
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg (63.55 KiB) Viewed 51256 times
Last edited by SwingT on Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwingT

Re: How I added LED lighting to my Vivaldi II

Post by SwingT »

IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (73.19 KiB) Viewed 51256 times
IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg (59.04 KiB) Viewed 51256 times
SwingT

Post by SwingT »

IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg (68.5 KiB) Viewed 51256 times
IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg (64.91 KiB) Viewed 51256 times
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Looks good, it will be interesting to see how the units over the hot water tap hold up as there is a lot of steam/moisture collected up there after drawing water or steaming. Do you use a bottomless p/f at all? I'm wondering how they would affect the view when you look up into the p/f.
SwingT

Post by SwingT »

One good thing about these units is they are waterproof. So, I don't expect any issues over the hot water outlet.

They also have a quite wide angle of dispersion - really this is why selected this particular model.

So, consequently - I would say the 1st 3/8 to half inch below the naked portafilter is not in direct light - but lower than that the stream is pretty well lit up.

There appears to be a certain amount of reflection from the chrome grill in the drip tray, or other reflection.

Coverage beneath the naked portafilter was a concern that I had - but seems to be fine.

If you want, I'll try to take a pic of say a ruler - showing the line of demarcation for lights - which actually gets better the closer you go to the edge of the portafilter.

the streams from a regular dual spout PF are quite well lit up, going on up as far as you can see any stream.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Wow! Looks very good indeed! :grin:

I hads just the amount of glamour to the otherwise somewhat discrete Vivaldi. Only drawback I can see is that I'll have (as soon as I manage the modification myself) to keep the stainless backsplash sparking clean like yours! :-P
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Don't worry about the photo, I get the idea. My old eyes could use a little more light so I'll look into this mod soon. Now you need to get rid of those decals & stick them where the light doesn't shine. The data decal used to be placed on the right inside area that the drip tray hides.
SwingT

Post by SwingT »

Do you think that decal will pull off intact and go somewhere else?

I pulled off the others and just tossed them. They probably weren't in any shape to place somewhere else
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

I pulled mine delicately and stock them on the back of the panel. It required the addition of some tape because most of the adhesive stayed on the front of the panel.

May I asked where you got the Diodes from? I just went to Ikea and I think that the Round Dioder may be a bit big to put 4 arrays of them like your setup. I may try yet. They had none in stock! Just the displayed unit on the wall.

SwingT

Post by SwingT »

http://www.superbrightleds.com/light_bars-rigid.html

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/LBM-x3SMD.htm

I like the size, thickness, angle, etc. - beam angle of 140 degrees

This transformer -

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/wps.htm

ETA

These have short leads that i soldered some Radio Shack generic hookup wire to. Then heat shrink tape over the soldered connections.

The transformer is not very heat resistant - I have it outside at the moment - if I put it inside later it will require careful positioning.

The LED's and transformer are waterproof - but the wire is not rated high for heat resistance.

These LED's are pretty thin, bright and wide angle - They're pretty bright - and I got the natural white model - am pleased with the white like color the light is

From Invoice

Quantity: 1
Product: 12VDC Waterproof Power Supply $ 14.95 (each)
Options: 15Watt WPS-12VDC-15W

Quantity: 6
Product: LBM-x3SMD series LED Module $ 3.95 (each)
Options: Natural White LBM-NW3SMD

SUBTOTAL: 38.65
SHIPPING: 5.00 US Mail (Estimated)
TOTAL: 43.65
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Thank you for the very detailed information. Very complete. I will look it up.

I think the size is much more appropriate to our application.

More soon... Thank again.

JohnB

Post by JohnB »

SwingT wrote:Do you think that decal will pull off intact and go somewhere else?

I pulled off the others and just tossed them. They probably weren't in any shape to place somewhere else
If you warm it up thoroughly with a hair dryer & work slowly you "should" be able to salvage the decal. It will probably stretch a little but should still be legible. Considering that most appliances have that info on the bottom cover you have to wonder why they started slapping it on the front cover of the Vivaldi.
Rick A

Post by Rick A »

IMG00027-20091203-2226.jpg
Just got done installing LED lighting to my Vivaldi and what a difference. Looks better than the picture. Thanks to SwingT's pictures and instructions it took me about 1 hour to complete. I used the same lights but a different transformer. I am adding a link to the transformer page and am also showing my invoice with part numbers. Not quite sure how to attach a picture of the completed setup but will give it a try.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... xible.html

Super Bright LEDs, Inc.
4400 Earth City Expressway
St. Louis, Missouri 63045

tel: 314-972-6200 (ext 3067 for order changes)
fax: 314-972-6202

PRODUCT INFORMATION--

Quantity: 6
Product: LBM-x3SMD series LED Module $ 3.95 (each)
Options: Natural White LBM-NW3SMD

Product: 12VDC CPS series Power Supply $ 10.95 (each)
Options: 12Watt CPS-12VDC-12W 2.00

Product: CPS Adapter Cable $ 2.99 (each)
Options: CPS-PT Pigtail Wire

SUBTOTAL: 39.64
SHIPPING: 8.00 USPS_PM (Estimated)
SALES TAX: 0.00
TOTAL: 47.64
Rick A

Post by Rick A »

Sorry, here is the photo. I think I have it right now.

IMG00027-20091203-2226.jpg
IMG00027-20091203-2226.jpg (195.16 KiB) Viewed 51084 times
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Impressive!! Do you need to wear sunglasses when pulling a shot? :lol:
SwingT

Post by SwingT »

Good Job, Rick
do you have to wear sunglasses?
Bwahahah

Nahhhh, due to the exposure setting and backlighting of the shot reflecting from the chrome front plate in a picture it shows up as being more startling and glary than it does in real life.

It is, however, somewhat bright - Seems like overkill in a photo, but is great in real life.

Particularly for an old fart in his sixties like me.

Shoot, this stuff is so good that I wish I had done my undercabinet lights with them. It's better than flourescent or halogen.

ETA - I had a pm from someone earlier, I only used four of the LED's, had a couple of extra's to play with and for spares, my son saw them and wanted them to make up something else.
I had problems with the foam double sided adhesive tape holding - so I pulled the tape off and used 3M weatherstripping adhesive from my corner auto parts store.
BTW, my only real hassle was trying to get by with the tape - that 3M weatherstripping adhesive is some really good stuff and appears to be holding quite well.
Rick A

Post by Rick A »

Thanks SwingT. That was me that sent you the pm earlier this week. I also bought six lights in case something went wrong. I wrapped the wires that ran above the group head boiler with high heat electrical tape. You probably can't see them that well, but the espresso and cappuccino cups are from LaSpaziale. I got them when I visited their offices and manufacturing plant this past May. Here is a better photo of them.
IMG00028-20091204-1356.jpg
IMG00028-20091204-1356.jpg (165.82 KiB) Viewed 51063 times
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

Wow, those Cappa cups are nice! Im not crazy about the Demi's, but I am wierd, Ill only use Tulips, and a select few other style cups. But the Capps! The upside down handle is awesome!

-----
As for this lighting... Im adding lights to mine. I was thinking of doing it, debating back and forth whether or not to put them on.. and then my Father saw this thread, I emailed it to him asking what he thought, and he responded immediately "DO THAT!". So, that seals it. . . Im adding some.

I think Im going to add Multi-Colored ones though... Bright White for pulling shots, and colors for display. . . IF..IF I can get a full spectrum. . . Might have to go with an Ikea light bar to do it that way... Which would be fine, just sayin.

Another mod Im considering, is a shot mirror, like the Slayer and Speedster has... I dont use the bottomless very often, but when I do, I hate bending down. Ive got a mirror that I use know, but a strip going across the whole drop tray would be wonderful! Im going shopping for a mirror strip that will work this weekend. If all goes to plan, it will be removeable for cleaning and access to the insides. Actually, I wont install it if I wont be able to remove it.

John, pretty soon, she wont even look like your machine anymore! Well.. except for the legs. BTW, I REALLY didnt think I was going to like them, but I am ADDICTED to the hieght! I raised it up a bit, I think theyre at about 5in now. LOVING IT! I even put on the stock feet to see it,, and while I think, overall, the stock feet do LOOK a little better, USING the machine is a million times better with the tall legs. These babies are permanent!(and I will still honor our deal, should my mind ever change. . . though i highly, highly doubt it!)
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

I have installed the Ikea round pods, unlike SwingT and Rick A, because it was a brainless installation. It was easy but do not get the brightness that can be seen in pictures and I am disappointed. The Ikea setup is about the same price (a bit less).

I will bite the bullet and order the Superbright LED. I though I'd share my less than good experience...Just in case.

SwingT

Post by SwingT »

I suspect that one of the major differences is - the wide angle of the LED's I specified. Probably a good bit wider.

I looked at the specs on the IKEA, IIRC, they don't really tell you very much about the performance, angle, various specs, etc. I'm thinking they just barely give the size of each unit.

Plus, I am thinking that the way I have spread the units out, helps give more uniform brightness
Rick A

Post by Rick A »

Slo, I am heading out tomorrow to buy adhesive that will keep the lights in place. After 2 days the lights to the right of the portafilter came loose. SwingT used a 3M weatherstripping adhesive and I will do the same. Don't forget to I wrap the wires that run over top of the brew boiler with high temperature electrical tape.
SwingT

Post by SwingT »

I pulled the double sided tape from the back of the LEDs and tossed it.

Put the adhesive on the chrome surface of the machine and also on the back of the LED, let get tacky - press together
Rick A

Post by Rick A »

Thanks for the detail SwingT. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

One note on the 3M adhesive: Make sure you buy the "Super" version (#08001 in yellow/black also available) as the standard version does not hold well when exposed to heat. I've used the Super for many years to apply the rubber knee pads to the older BMW motorcycle tanks. Made the mistake of buying the standard version once & the pads feel off the first time the bike was parked in hot sun.
SwingT

Post by SwingT »

#08001 is the one I used.

Yellow is the only one they had in stock. Sets up kind of brownish, IIRC.

Don't know if you guys have "pep boys" automotive chain, they're close so I just bought it there.
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

Been thinking more about adding lights to the VII. I definitely think it will look great.

I was thinking though, personally, I would rather not tie the lights into the machines power.

Looking on the "super bright LED" website, it looks like they have what I want to do this. .

On this page. . . There is three "sections" of products. The second section is entitled, "12 VDC COMPACT POWER SUPPLY", and its a couple different models.

So, if Im understanding this correctly. . .

One of those power supply boxes plugs into the outlet in the wall. And I plug the LED's into the Barrel Connector at the end of the wire, correct? The ones Im looking at, theyre called LBM-x4, says its 12VDC operation. So, I could use those, mount them by the grouphead, and plug them into the transformer I linked too above?

That would be the easiest way for me to do it. . . Im not the BEST with electrical stuff, but Im not clueless either. But, this way will allow me to have the lights on, even with the machine powered off, and I can still snake the wires through the machine and out the back to keep everything concealed. I would just prefer to not tap them in directly to the machine.

Thoughts?>
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

Doing more investigation on thier website, yes, I can do that. just need to pick out the proper adaptor for what Im doin.

I should be able to order this stuff soon. . . Ive got a couple small things for sale on CoffeeGeek, and one already sold. SWEEEEEEEEET!
SwingT

Post by SwingT »

I'm not wired into the machine.

If you look at the first pic I posted, you can see an in-line switch (very graciously given to me by Dana Leighton, that he had left over)

I'm going from a regular power cord, salvaged from some item -

-into one of the square transformers

-out of the square transformer

-Into line with switch in it (from Dana)

-Into the Led's

-It's pretty simple - you have to keep the DC Plus/minus right or the string of LED's won't light.

-You may be better with the walwart transformer, no exposed AC - if so, you need some sort of adapter to make it to the two wires of the LED's.

I didn't even use high temperature heat wrap tape - what I could readily find was like $15 a roll or something outlandish.

Don't laugh, but I actually stripped a few lengths of heat resistant insulation intact from some larger gauge heat rated wire, slipped it over the other wire for areas near the group head. Once routed away from the highest heat, I'm just using Radio Shack hook up wire that I had on hand.

I like being able to switch the light manually. I sometimes will turn it on, take something else over there and be able to see it in good light.
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

For the actual LEDs, Im going to use the LBMx4's. Waterproof, 4 high flux LEDs. Color: White. 60 degree beam. Ill get 4, though I might only need two. If I have two left over, Im going to mount them on the underside of my bench, with a switch, so I can have good lighting for plumbing stuff, refilling bottles, things like that.

These suckers are gonna be BA-RITE!

Im going to get the 24w transformer, which, for now, is wayyy more then I need. . . But, Ive got future plans for these LEDs. . .

When I move(few months), Im going to have my setup on a pre-fab counter, which Ill be assembling myself, sortof. Two counter/cabinets. one is 36in wide, the other is 18in(36in deep). Join them, and put a 'black granite' Formica countertop on it. The cabinets are Oak. Now, when I move, Ill be properly plumbed in. So, Im going to mount a couple of these LEDs inside the cabinet, because there will be filters in there, a "tee" for running descales, and it will also be storage for coffee stuff. We all know cabinets are dark, and things get lost in them, so, with a couple of those LMBx4's in there, should be no problem at all.

I THINK my Gaggia Classic is sold. . . Ill know for sure by Wednesday we he gets back to me(If not, its going on CG, if anyone is interested), and while the "profit" is going towards my Hottop. . . Im gonna have to skim a little bit for the LED project. As I was dialing in some fresh "Sweet 16" from Klatch a couple hours ago, and watching the cones form, I was thinking how great it would be for this machine to be lit up(BTW, the sweet 16 is an awesome blend, if you havent tried, I suggest you do!)
SwingT

Post by SwingT »

JmanEspresso wrote:For the actual LEDs, Im going to use the LBMx4's...... 60 degree beam.
Not sure if this will do what you want. There is a substantial difference in in beam angle from the ones I used. The ones I used had 140 degree beam angle, and that is a major part of why I chose that particular one.

Beam angle may be part of the problem that Slo had with the IKEA's - don't know, only guessing without specs.

among other things, 60 degree beam angle will cut down dramatically on coverage of the stream beneath a naked portafilter, may even prevent coverage of the shot stream, a quite important part.

Before ordering, suggest you make a 60 degree template and attempt to ascertain what coverage will be.

I actually did this with a paper template at 140 degrees to ensure the viability of the project.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

The Ikea LED "pods" have a focused beam. Don't know the angle but you get off beam within +/-45 so it can't be more than 90 degrees.

Rick A

Post by Rick A »

Another alternative 3M adhesive product is called Super Strength Molding Tape, product # 03615. It is sold in 1/2 and 3/4 inch wide rolls. I spoke with a customer service rep at the company and he recommended it for the application. It has a heat rating of around 180 degrees. I just finished applying it to the LEd's and it seems much more durable than the stock double sided foam tape. I bought it at NAPA Parts. Here is a photo of the product.
IMG00029-20091208-1805.jpg
IMG00029-20091208-1805.jpg (81.22 KiB) Viewed 50948 times
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

Oh thats a good point. Ill go with the 3's, so that I dont have to worry about it.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

JmanEspresso wrote:
When I move(few months), Im going to have my setup on a pre-fab counter, which Ill be assembling myself, sortof. Two counter/cabinets. one is 36in wide, the other is 18in(36in deep). Join them, and put a 'black granite' Formica countertop on it. The cabinets are Oak.
Sounds familiar except I've got about 64" of cabinet/base under a 72" "Labrador Granite" Lowes countertop. Just got the bar sink in last night & running in the water lines/drain today. Power is in so I'm hoping to fire up the Speedster tomorrow!! :bounce:
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

Oh man that is awesome dude!

Speedster. I mean IS there anything better? I think not. Well.. Maybe my VII :) ..Maybe.

I need me an Accumulator so pre-infusion actually works properly. I realized thats why Im only getting good results with 3, MAYYYYBE 4 seconds PI. Inconsistent line pressure. Its not bad on brew pressure, the pump itself seems to smooth it out, but PI is all wierd. Im gonna order the Accumulator on Tuesday with my coffee order, so that will give me stable pressure, and quiet down the FJ somewhat.

Question.... Since the Accumulator will be on the line. . . Do I need a pressure Regulator too? Or is the accumulator ok by itself? Im under the impression that with the accumulator, Ill have about 30-40PSI line pressure. Im going to get the one from EPNW, the Shurflo Accumulator. (BTW, if anyone knows for sure what size fittings the accumulator needs, thatd be great, Im hoping/assuming its 3/8....anyone know for sure?)
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

After questionning the need and benefit of a pressure regulator I finally installed one to bring the line pressure down. The line pressure in my home is pretty high (approx. 50psi), I could have lived with it but after a while I realised that it was varying slowly from as high as 65 psi to as low as 35 psi over a period of many weeks. I now regulate it at 30 psi.

If you want to bring the pressure down as well, you do not need an accumulator. The regulator will stabilise the pressure as well.

You may want an accumulator if you want to maintain the line pressure where it is and stabilise it. The accumulator will absorb/dampen certain pressure spike and will compensate for certain pressure drop. Thus stabilising the pressure a bit. The accumulator is not effective for slow water pressure variation.

Oh! I just remembered! You are working with a flojet pump and a reservoir... Yes the accumulator will dampen the pressure fluctuation produced by the pump. I am not familiar with the flojet pumps and do not know if the pressure output is adjustable? If they are then I do not see why and what would be gained by a regulator over the accumulator preset pressure. Of course you will have to set the pump pressure to 20 psi (same as the EPNW accumulator)

I am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong. ;-)

JohnB

Post by JohnB »

JmanEspresso wrote: Question.... Since the Accumulator will be on the line. . . Do I need a pressure Regulator too? Or is the accumulator ok by itself? Im under the impression that with the accumulator, Ill have about 30-40PSI line pressure. Im going to get the one from EPNW, the Shurflo Accumulator. (BTW, if anyone knows for sure what size fittings the accumulator needs, thatd be great, Im hoping/assuming its 3/8....anyone know for sure?)
If the accululator gives you a line pressure somewhere in the 30-40 psi range you wouldn't "need" a pressure regulator but you will want one for your plumbed in set up eventually. I stayed with a 38psi setting with the Vivaldi after trying several lower line pressures. Since I'm on a well this is about the highest consistent pressure I can depend on due to cycling of the submersible pump pressure switch.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

I agree with John, that a higher line pressure is better. It helps the effectivness of the pre-infusion. I, also, slected the highest dependable line pressure that I could get.

JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Perhaps we should start a new thread but while we are discussing pressure regulators I wanted to mention that my CC regulator seems to have quit regulating after 23 months. I've never been too crazy about its quality & adjustment so I'm not going to bother trying to fix it. I'm going to see what is available locally but my current fav replacement is the Watts LF(lead free) 263A in the 3/8" 10-125psi version. This is a brass 3 way unit with a nice metal T handle for adjustment instead of the squeaky plastic screw on the CC unit.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Hey JmanEspresso! Did you receive your LED package?

I ordered mine about two weeks ago and I am still waiting. I took the cheap no tracking option and have no idea where it is. To those that did order from SuperbrightLED, how long did it take to receive your order?

Rick A

Post by Rick A »

I received mine in 2 days. Shipped from St. louis to Cleveland.
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

Nah I haven't ordered it yet.. Probably will wait till after Christmas... Spent much more then I planned on Christmas this year, including a big order of coffee and stuff for me. Accumulator came, and is installed. Big difference on PI, and my extractions are DEAD ON. LOOOOOOOOVE it. Plus the VII is ridiculously quiet now
SwingT

Post by SwingT »

My order from Superbrite just took several days.

Slo, what type of shipment did you request?

Most small stuff thru either US Post or Canadian Post seems to go cross border either way just fine, UPS can suffer customs issues, though.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

I took the US post... Still no sign!

I'll e-mail superbrightled tonight to see what we can do.

Thanks for the answers. Can't wait to be bright!

slo
Barista

Post by slo »

The LEDs are in! They arrived today, just in time fo Xmas!

Pictures soon...

slo
Barista

Post by slo »

My leds are coming undone as well... This double sided that they use really sucks!

Going to the store to get an alternative.

Rick A

Post by Rick A »

Slo, take a look at my post from December 9th. There is a picture of the 3M tape I used and have not had a problem since. I used Goo Gone to remove the adhesive residue on the machine and then cleaned with windex. I then removed the tape from the LED's, replaced with the new tape and it was good to go.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Thanks. I had seen it and I did get similar moulding tape. Not the 3M but similar. Been 2 days now and holding.

Here is a picture.
LED light 3.jpg
LED light 3.jpg (75.38 KiB) Viewed 50728 times
Notice the switch in front which I usually push under the Vivaldi. It is a dimmer switch but I discovered that the power supply does not allow for dimming. At least not upstream. No big deal.

BTW my wife loves the effect!

Rick A

Post by Rick A »

Looks very nice Slo. Super Bright sells various dimmers for led lighting.
Here is the link: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... dimmer.htm

By the way, I noticed your steam bolier pressure guage is reading in the red zone in the picture. Is it just the angle of the photo or is there an issue? Happy new year.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Thanks again Rick.
I had noticed their dimmers... There all meant to be installed downstream of the power supply. I do not think that there is anything special with them. Any dimmer would do, I think. But really so far, I am satisfied with "Full on cool white"! I really love it!

Good catch Rick! Or should I call you eagle eye! The lights makes the pressure guages come out so much more!

I also saw the boiler pressure when I posted the picture as well. I went to check the machine. When I use the boiler water or steam the pressure builts back up to nominal (edge of red) and stays there for a while. But after a long idle time it, sometime, creeps up a bit. I had never seen it so high. I've been monitoring it since yesterday and it hasn't gone up that high since then.

I'll keep monitoring for a while.

LJCoffeeGuy

Post by LJCoffeeGuy »

I finally convinced my wife to let me add some lighting and glad I found this topic. Thanks for the post and help with finding the vendor link.

Here's what I'd like to do with my coffee bar, which is in the location of the old double oven and has one shelf.
I would like 3 locations for lights:
1) on each side of the brewhead to light up shots - as pictured in previous posts
2) One light bar on each side of the upper section
3) One long light bar mounted to top of the bottom section to light up the lower coffee bar area.

So, would it be possible to power all three sections with one power supply, as well as using three switches? I'd like to have all switches in one unit.

If you have any suggestions for the light bars, please let me know.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMAG0661.jpg
IMAG0661.jpg (179.17 KiB) Viewed 50527 times
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

SuperBrite sells a nice array of both rigid, and flexible light bars. Different beam types, sideways lighting.. A man can get very carried away for sure.

You should have no problem running them all one on transformer.. just match the right transformer for the power draw... There is a chart on their webpage to pick the right one.

They also sell all kinds of switches and dimmers

Should be no problem for ya.

I have to be careful.. everytime I go to their website, I want to spend a lot of money.
LJCoffeeGuy

Post by LJCoffeeGuy »

Did you finish your lighting project? If so, please share some pics!

Glad you came to the S1 side!

Return to “Tips & Tricks”