Drip Tray Fix

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
JohnB

Drip Tray Fix

Post by JohnB »

I recently "modified" the back wall of the drip tray on my S1V2 so that water drops/steam condensation dripping off of the chrome cover fell into the tray instead of falling onto the edge & running down behind the tray. The back wall of my tray was slightly bowed in either from the heat or maybe it came that way from new. To remove the inward bow & replace it with a slight outward bow I cut a wooded paint paddle slightly wider then the front to rear dimension of the tray. Starting about 1" in from the left side I forced the paddle into the top edge of the tray so that the rear wall was now bowed out farther then I would want it to be when done. Using a heat gun I heated the rear wall just enough to change the set of the plastic. I kept moving the paddle further to the right & heating the wall until the entire upper edge of the rear wall was very slightly bowed out.(see pic)
Drip Tray.JPG
Drip Tray.JPG (69.54 KiB) Viewed 7232 times
I also gave the lower edge of the chrome cover a quick tug outward which tweaked it just enough that it funnels drips into the tray better. Be advised that if you do this you may see some distortion by the two mounting screws under certain lighting conditions.

I now no longer have to wipe up drips underneath the machine after a steaming or cleaning session.
slo
Barista

Re: Drip Tray Fix

Post by slo »

Good fix.

Thanks for the heads up. I have just checked mine and there is a very comfortable overlap of the backlash over the drip tay.

More documented variability of the Vivaldi manufacturing... Gotta love them! And I do!
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

slo wrote:Good fix.

Thanks for the heads up. I have just checked mine and there is a very comfortable overlap of the backlash over the drip tay.

More documented variability of the Vivaldi manufacturing... Gotta love them! And I do!
It might have been that way from new but I don't recall seeing water under the until a few months ago. My "guess" is that the rear of the tray deforms over time from the heat. Has anyone that has owned their machine for a couple years & runs it every day seen this??
Weska

Post by Weska »

I've had mine since late 2006 running usually 24/7. I put a square on the back length of my tray, and it is bowed by maybe 1 mm inboard at its maximum. It lines up well enough with the bottom of the stainless stell plate that hangs above it, but it does seat a little to the rear of the thickness of the tray's rear wall.

There might be enough space for any condensation to run down and work its way in back of the tray, but I really don't collect enough condensation long enough for it to form downward running drops, only a light coating that quickly evaporates. What does spill behind the tray regularly is the water full of coffee grounds that spills out of the portafilter when I rinse it after pulling a shot by running the hot water tap over the portafilter. Ideally I would like my stainless back panel to move a couple of millimeters forward to keep that in bounds. Spacers under the screws might be the answer.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Weska wrote:
There might be enough space for any condensation to run down and work its way in back of the tray, but I really don't collect enough condensation long enough for it to form downward running drops, only a light coating that quickly evaporates. What does spill behind the tray regularly is the water full of coffee grounds that spills out of the portafilter when I rinse it after pulling a shot by running the hot water tap over the portafilter. Ideally I would like my stainless back panel to move a couple of millimeters forward to keep that in bounds. Spacers under the screws might be the answer.
This is when I was getting my spillage also, not from condensation. Problem is now solved. The spacers would probably work but you might get an ugly space around the pressure gauge.
Weska

Post by Weska »

I don't have a heat gun and am without any experience modifying molded plastic parts (intentionally). I figured the gauge could be bent forward to meet the hole in the panel if an objectionable gap opened up. It needed that kind of treatment when I first unpacked it. As I recall, the gauge is supported only by the tubing that goes into it.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The S1V2 gauge is hung from a bracket as well as being supported by the pipe so its harder to tweak. Not much give in my run of pipe as I had a heck of a time getting the gauge & panel cut out lined up properly after insulating my steam boiler. Since you have no bracket it should be easier "if" there is enough play in that pipe section. Certainly worth a try as its nice not to have to mop up under the machine anymore.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”