americano

All things beans. Discussions about green and roasted coffee beans - where to purchase them, how to roast them, how best to grind them for the S1/V2/Mini/Dream/Dream T. Also, discussions about grinder and roaster hardware.
michael

americano

Post by michael »

how do you make an americano 8)
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

You brew an espresso shot and pour it into a cup of hot water. The espresso may be a single or a double, and you have to have the water ready when your shot ends.
How much water - also accordingly to your taste. I usually pour a single into some 220ml of water.
It's important to pour your espresso into the water with one short move.
Zzyzx

Post by Zzyzx »

I make these in the morning with my Vivaldi.

I pour out about 8oz of hot water from the machine, then I pack about 16-18 grams of coffee in my naked portafilter, then I pour out 2oz of espresso right on top of the hot water. It really helps having the naked portafilter since the cup can slide right underneath.
woodchuck

Post by woodchuck »

Ditto ... maybe a tad less water.

Cheers

Ian
4vDesmo

Post by 4vDesmo »

Ok - so why pour the espresso shot into the water, instead of the water being poured into the espresso shot?

Just curious. Do you think it really makes a difference?
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

I guess it is better tasting.

EDIT: :lol:

Honestly I don't remember exactly (was over year and half ago) but I read something somewhere that pouring anything (else then a steamed milk) into espresso kills the taste.
Personally I haven't tried pouring water into a shot, but the result probably would taste like an espresso diluted (weakened) with water, while americano tastes like espresso based (strengthened or lengthened) with water.
BrewHaHa

Post by BrewHaHa »

There was an interesting Americano discussion a while back on coffeed:
http://forum.coffeed.com/viewtopic.php?t=1517
4vDesmo

Post by 4vDesmo »

Thanks for the link, it's an interesting discussion. I would not have guessed any of that.

And of course, another of the multitude of details and esoterica that I'd guess most never consider. I'm constantly amazed at the analysis that can be put into a cup of coffee.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

yes, it's an interesting discussion, but I dont' like the idea of mixing hot water with cold for getting lower temperature (like, for example, the GS3 does).
Better to let the hot water cool down a bit waiting for the shot.
BillK

Post by BillK »

I let the double shot run until I have 8 ounces rather than 2 ounces of liquid.

No, wait.

Actually, I combine a standard double shot with water from the hot water dispenser such that the total volume is 8 oz.
fiddlefly

Re: americano

Post by fiddlefly »

Can somebody please tell me why in the coffeed discussion they seem to be offended by the use of the machine hot water dispenser for the americano?
Endo

Post by Endo »

I believe it's because the steam water is too hot and destroys the espresso taste (burns it if you will). The espresso is brewed at around 95C for the best taste but the steam water is under about 1.2bar pressure so is actually above boiling (100C+). Mix them togther and you get a bitter Americano.

You can get around it by pouring your hot water first and by the time your espresso is pulled, the hot water temp has dropped. Then pour the hot water into the espresso so as not to raise the temperature of the espresso too quickly (as would happen by doing it backwards and pouring the espresso into a larger amount of hot water).
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Lots of "interesting" how to's in this thread. Glad I never read it before I started making Americanos. I make the Espresso directly into a Cappo cup first & then fill the cup with hot water from my hot water tap. I've never had anything but delicious sweet Americanos making them this way. My guests that have had them say they are they best cups of coffee they've ever had & always request them. If you place a digital thermometer in a preheated cup & run your hot water tap directly onto the probe the highest temp you will see is 206*F for an instance before it quickly drops into the mid 190* range. Try it both ways & see if you can taste a difference.
oton

Post by oton »

Not sure why but 'ive tried to make an Americano and well... it tasted like dirty water :-? like a very very watery tasteless coffee. I added sugar and it tasted like... dirty sweet water. :cry:

I've only used a 2:1 water/coffee ratio (50ml/25ml), so I dont know why it tasted so poor. Problem is that I've never drinked an Americano, so I not sure what should it taste.
Any ideas?

One guest I have likes large coffees so I dont know what to serve it...
Endo

Post by Endo »

oton wrote:Not sure why but 'ive tried to make an Americano and well... it tasted like dirty water :-? like a very very watery tasteless coffee. I added sugar and it tasted like... dirty sweet water. :cry:

I've only used a 2:1 water/coffee ratio (50ml/25ml), so I dont know why it tasted so poor. Problem is that I've never drinked an Americano, so I not sure what should it taste.
Any ideas?

I use a cheap $25 bodum for guests who like regular coffee. Fill it from the hot water dispenser (picky people will say use a kettle) and it's ready in a couple of minutes. I have a Solis 166 conical grinder for the bodum. But you can use a $35 Aerobie Aeropress and use your espresso grind if you don't have a second grinder.
fiddlefly

Post by fiddlefly »

@Oton
Have you tried putting the water in after the shot?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

oton wrote:Not sure why but 'ive tried to make an Americano and well... it tasted like dirty water :-? like a very very watery tasteless coffee. I added sugar and it tasted like... dirty sweet water. :cry:

Any ideas?

If the shot of espresso tastes good the Americano will taste good. If the shot sucks so will the Americano. Typically I add 3 oz of hot water to a normal 1.5-2 oz shot & get delicious Americanos. An Americano made from a good espresso shot should be one of the best cups of coffee you've ever had. Much less intense then the shot but sweeter & full of flavor.
PBL
Espresso

Post by PBL »

Adding a great shot to the hot water from my S1 makes a great Americano. I have learned to let the water cool a few degrees to get rid of the bitter edge for some coffees (seems to be the darker roasts only) but otherwise it only makes a minor difference. A double shot with about 6.5 ounces of water seems to make a great Americano. My guests who like drip coffee find the Americanos to be excellent. Either that or they are just humouring me. :lol:
Vivaldi S1 and my buddy Rocky
Staypower
Americano

Post by Staypower »

I really like americano with milk. Without sugar, but with honey sometimes. I make espresso, add some hot water and some milk (1:1).It's my favourite type of morning coffee.
Tokio
Freeze Dried

Post by Tokio »

I used to order different ground coffee bags and try to experiment with the taste of my morning americano drink. Last time it was Death Wish Ground Coffee, I decided to try it because of its name. Anyway, I believe I make it the same way as everyone else except one thing. Firstly, I add some water after that I pure coffee (for some espresso foam).

Return to “Coffee Beans, Grinders, & Roasters”