Dream SW 1.19

Forums below are for discussions of Dream and Dream T specific issues. However, both machines have as much, if not more, in common than they have differences. This area is for information sharing and questions that you think apply equally to both machines.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Dream SW 1.19

Post by chas »

Jason just send me a beta of 1.19 to test. I'll let you know how it goes. I am also awaiting clarification from Jason on some questions I have. For example, there is no mention of the previously unreleased fixes that were part of 1.18; i.e. DST and button backlight fixes. I assume these are still in 1.19. Plus I was needing to put in a +12F Offset. I'm still not sure if this change will let me get there. If they put in a +10F HW offset and changed the SW offset range from where it was -10F to +10F to -10F to 0F. I still won't be able to make it as I'll still need a +2F offset and may not be able to set that.

Time to dive in now and start testing. More later with my results.

•Shot Timer increased to 10 seconds, when the shot timer is being displayed, the shot buttons are active.
•OFF¬SET built in the firmware (¬10°F; ¬5°C).
•Adds scroll down and up in the following functions: PID, Language,Timer, Coffee Temperature, Boiler Temperature, Pre¬infusion, MAT, Service, Filter, Backlight LCD, Grinding, Automatic Shutdown, Password, Set Calibration Temperature and Off¬set.
•Removal of Factory menu.
•Removal of Reset function.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Dream SW 1.19

Post by chas »

I started with a cold machine so I still need to wait for it to come up to temp before I can check what new SW offset I need, but the GUI changes are nice and definitely welcome.

Except for removal of the reset feature within the factory sub-menu, the other menu items under factory have just been bumped up a level and the actually factory option along with the password is gone. So if you need to tweak the offset or change between 15A-20A modes, for example, no more password entry BS!

The offset ranges are the same as they were even with the new HW offset. So you can still change the offset in SW between -12F and +12F (-5C and +5C). Since the programmed SW offset is "sticky" through SW upgrades you should adjust the offset before you upgrade. My machine is a worst case example. I had the offset set to +12F. If I hadn't changed the offset before upgrading to version 1.19, I'd have an effective offset of +22F. I don't really want to kitchen test the boiler's over-pressure protection mechanisms! Assuming LS correctly implemented the +10F HW offset, I should now need a +2F offset. If you had previously set a +8F offset, you should need a -2F offset after the 1.19 upgrade.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

1.19 is looking good. Now that I can hold the arrow keys down so I get a fast scroll through values in the PID settings and I also don't have to enter a password each time I want to tweak the values for testing, it is a breeze to use. Yesterday, mostly for grins, I put in the equivalent values for PID used by the GS/3. To my surprise the resulting temperature profile I get is nearly identical to the GS/3 with an additional offset value of +1F. The Dream now seems to be in good enough shape to get back to doing some valid taste test comparisons.

I have a call with Jason at CCS tomorrow to run through all the testing results. I'll see what he thinks about a possible release date. From my perspective, this is the version we've all been waiting for.
Chas
Hottop P/B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

So it sounds like you've figured out what units the Pid settings are in. Are you saying that 1.19 once it's issued will have updated Pid parameters in it?
And that the new settings will address the overshoot on temp you've observed?
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

goodboyr wrote:So it sounds like you've figured out what units the Pid settings are in. Are you saying that 1.19 once it's issued will have updated Pid parameters in it?
And that the new settings will address the overshoot on temp you've observed?
No. When you load a new SW update (including 1.19) it does NOT change any of the settings you already have on your machine for any parameters that are user changeable *. While my converted GS/3 PID parameters do a good job, they might still be improved. I'll probably tweak the I and D parameters around what they are now over the next few days just to see what happens. I do not know what CCS will do about the PID values in the long run. I have not heard of any immediate plans to change the current defaults. I wouldn't advise anyone to try it themselves without at least a passing knowledge of PIDs and unlimited access to a Scace device.

* Knowing this I made sure to adjust my original offset of +12F down to 0F before I did the update - though if I updated and then IMMEDIATELY dropped the offset it would have still been OK. I sure didn't what to run for very long with an effective offset of +22F since this version includes a permanent +10F offset in firmware.

I do have a theory about the PID settings. They are typically given in parameters like 8, .15, 10. However, you can't do decimal calculations in a microcontroller so they most obvious thing would be to multiple all the parameters by 100 and then adjust the algorithm to use those scaled up parameters to give the same end result. I suspect that is what most of the others that implement SW PIDs are also doing but they are showing the original values and not the scaled up values in the user interface. If you did the math you'll know that the values I am currently using are 800, 15, and 1000.
Chas
Hottop P/B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Any update on this version? Is it close to being issued?
Bob
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Jason and I have been trying to pull a call together to discuss for almost a week. I am retired and have plenty of free time. However, as fate would have it, both times Jason has tried to call me have been times when I was out doing other things.

I will try to reach out today. 1.19 is a great update and really ought to be out "in the wild". I think Jason feels that he needs to write up a more detailed info sheet for this update so I am wondering if he is so busy that he may ask me to do a draft for him. Stay tuned.
Chas
Hottop P/B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Thanks, Chas.
Bob
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Jason says that 1.19 may be posted tomorrow.
Chas
Hottop P/B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Ok. Its now there. I've installed it and reset my offset to 0. I note that the PID settings are unchanged. Will make some coffee and check it out.
Bob
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

You are correct that no changes were made to the PID settings in 1.19. I currently have my PID set the same as I use on my GS/3 which still requires a +1 offset. I suspect if I go back to the original PID settings I might need to move to +2-3C based on past experience. However, for the average users that got a machine set to 0F offset and have never changed it, I suspect there will be an eye opening improvement in flavor.

BTW: I do plan to retest the original PID settings next week since I have not tried that with SW 1.19. When I borrowed the Scace device I thought I would have it for two weeks max to test and document, then be done with it. My hats off to Sakurama for letting me keep it this long. However, I need to do one more quick round decide for sure what I want to use for PID and offset, then return it. He will rent it to any of you that are interested in doing your own tests. You should be able to PM him using his Forum handle. If you want to contact him off list and would like his contact info, PM me here on the Forum.

I would definitely recommend that EVERYONE with a Dream or Dream T upgrade to the 1.19 version. This is the version that really makes the machine what it should have been from the start. FYI, Jason told me that both machines use the same software AND controller board. There is a jumper or switch on the Controller board that is set to which type of Dream machine it is installed in.

Speaking of Jason, he mentioned that he's been having some serious health issues for a while now and he will be going out on long term disability at the end of May. It will be sad to see him go and I sure hope he is able to eventually regain his health.

One more thing about the 1.19 update. The update manual lists the specific things that were added in this version and then just notes that it also includes all features added or fixed in previous versions. However, even if everyone has followed all the previously released updates and knows what they include, version 1.18 was never released and it includes the DST fix and the fix for button lights that were going out when switching profiles. I have documented those in earlier posts in the sub-forum. Just look for the 1.18 thread for more details.
Chas
Hottop P/B

Return to “Dream and Dream T Common Feature Discussions”