New Software Update Available on CCS website v1.14

Forums below are for discussions of Dream and Dream T specific issues. However, both machines have as much, if not more, in common than they have differences. This area is for information sharing and questions that you think apply equally to both machines.
etout00

New Software Update Available on CCS website v1.14

Post by etout00 »

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that software update v1.14 is now active and live on CCS's new website:

http://www.chriscoffee.com/kb_results.asp?ID=37
goodboyr
Barista

Re: New Software Update Available on CCS website v1.14

Post by goodboyr »

Thanks. Just installed it. A couple of tips. I had to delete the old firmware off the memory card before the machine would recognize the new firmware. As well, the instructions say that after you load the new firmware, you disconnect the reader and unplug the machine. then plug it back in and hold the ok/menu button for 5 seconds after plugging it back in. In reality, in order to access the boilder threshold selection, after plugging the machine back in, turn it off with the power button, then hold the ok/menu button for 5 seconds. The machine automatically powers on when you plug it back in, so you have to manually turn it off first. No explanation for what 'boiler threshold' means, but I'm sure they will tell us.
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I didn't have your first issue. When I selected the option to download new software or whatever it's called, it showed me both filenames on screen for the 1.07 and 1.14 versions and allowed me to scroll and select which one I wanted.

I asked Jason about the boiler threshold option and he wasn't sure about that himself. What he told me was that some of the Tank machines didn't really have the steam boiler grounded well enough. Therefore, the water level sensors weren't detecting when the water was full and the boilers were overflowing. CCS has been rewiring the boiler grounds to fix the problem but LaSpaziale's solution apparently was to provide two options with differing sensitivity levels. Unfortunately, by calling them Threshold A and Threshold B, it isn't clear which one is the more sensitive option. I am guessing that Threshold A is the original option and Threshold B is the more sensitive option, but I could be completely wrong.

The bottom line is that unless you have a Tank machine and are having problems with the steam boiler overfilling or overflowing, I don't think you need to mess with it. If you don't need it to correct a problem, it probably doesn't matter which option you select so just leaving at the default value is fine.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Question: How did you locate this update in the Knowledge base section of the CCS website? Were you just rummaging around that section and stumbled across it or is is linked from some other web page on their site? I thought it might be linked from the actual Dream and Dream T web pages, but it does NOT seem to be there.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I have been testing 1.14 since early this week. Here are some of my comments and observations:

1) The good news is that (at least so far) I have not found that the 1.14 update breaks any of the features that are working correctly in 1.07.
2) It is great to be able to hold down the arrow keys and fast scroll through lists and menus. The only place I have found where it would be nice to have this feature and they did NOT implement it is where you enter the password to get into the factory settings.
3) It is also nice to be able to put spaces in the Profile names
4) The shot timer used to disappear the instant the shot completed. After I complained about that, LaSpaziale extended it to 3 seconds. This still isn't long enough. On my GS/3 the shot timer value for the last shot stays there until the next shot or until you enter the menu system. This seems like the best solution. Currently if you are doing something and your eyes are not glued to the screen when the shot stops the fact that the value stays there for 3 more seconds is not really a wide enough window to ensure you will see the number before it disappears.
5) Since AM/PM was added to the time for both American and British options in this version, the real difference between the two options is American = Fahrenheit, British = Celsius. With Italian you get 24 hour time, Celsius, and language change.
6) Threshold - When I first saw this, the term it made me think that it was an option to adjust how full the steam boiler gets - which is not what this is at all. It is really a boiler level sensor sensitivity adjustment with two values. Since CCS recommends Threshold B which is required for addressing issues with some Tank models and is pretty much a don't care for all other machines, I guess it is a good default. The GS/3 actually has this as well but with low, medium, and high sensitivity options. Low is the default but if you have very low mineral content, RO, etc. and the conductivity of your water gets very low, then you need to crank up the sensitivity.
Chas
Hottop P/B
fiddlefadel

Post by fiddlefadel »

Can anyone recommend a SD card reader brand?
thanks
Dave
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Not sure what you mean. The Dream comes with an SD card and a reader that plugs into the front of the machine. It has its own dedicated ribbon cable connector so you can't use any other SD card reader to connect to the machine.

On the other hand, you do need an SD card reader on your computer so that you can download the new SW to the card and then move the card to the Dream's reader. Most SD card readers have a USB interface and there are a huge number on the market to choose from. Any of them should work OK. Some SD cards actually come with a cheap USB reader.

In my case my laptop already has a built-in SD card reader and I have an "internal" SD card reader on my desktop PC that actually connects to one of the internal USB connectors. Many folks have readers on their PCs already due to the use of SD cards in digital cameras. I am guessing very few people will actually need to go out and buy one just to use for the Dream.
Chas
Hottop P/B
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

For the purpose of loading the Dream software you can use any inexpensive card reader. However, if you are going to be using it for photographs or videos from cards it is worth spending the money to purchase a USB 3 reader that is much faster than a USB 2. I have a Lexar Professional model LRW300U that has been very reliable and has a number of desirable features. Again, any USB 3 reader is going to cost more and is probably not necessary if you are only intending to use it to load the Dream software.

Good luck

Return to “Dream and Dream T Common Feature Discussions”