Scace 2

This forum is for discussion of group temperature measurement using of off-shelf devices such as the Scace and/or the creation of home brew devices such as the "Endo I"
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Scace 2

Post by chas »

I just noticed this on the EspressoParts.com website:

In searching on the Internet it looks like this is going to be formally introduced at SCAA the first week in May.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

I saw that a couple of weeks ago on their site.
Do you think the added gauge would really help?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Greg thinks so:
Yeah, people are gonna be surprised at what is really happening at the cake. First off, nearly all gauges supplied for this purpose are pieces of feces. Second, the pressure drop across small diameter gicleurs is not small. Third, pressure drop across the system is quite machine specific and is another variable that obfuscates discussion of taste between different makes of machinery.

My hope is that through better measurements we can cut through a lot of bs. Also we should start talking about quality control programs now that the measurements will be so easy to perform.

-Greg
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Hmm.
Hit 2 birds with 1 stone...I can sure use the Scace 2 for my old S1 since it doesn't even have a gauge for the group.
And not only that, I can check how true the gauge is reading on the VII.

Ahh, more toys to play with.
The only problem is how long is it going to take Greg to make the Spaz version of this?

UPDATE:
It's now available.
For $350!!

Like I said earlier...I hope Greg makes a LaSpaz version sooner than later.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Niko wrote:Hmm.
Hit 2 birds with 1 stone...I can sure use the Scace 2 for my old S1 since it doesn't even have a gauge for the group.
And not only that, I can check how true the gauge is reading on the VII.

Ahh, more toys to play with.
The only problem is how long is it going to take Greg to make the Spaz version of this?

UPDATE:
It's now available.
For $350!!

Like I said earlier...I hope Greg makes a LaSpaz version sooner than later.
I'm trying to wheedle a Version 1 Scace device out of Espresso Parts. Good luck, I'm thinking, on seeing Scace II anytime soon.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Looks like it took a price hike again, they're showing it for $427!
...and yeah, good luck seeing any version for a Spaz soon.
They're only available for La Marzocco so far.
I expect to get one of the new version 2 but not until next year, after that I might look into selling my original Scace Device, there should be a nice fist-fight over it on eBay.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Niko wrote:Looks like it took a price hike again, they're showing it for $427!
...and yeah, good luck seeing any version for a Spaz soon.
They're only available for La Marzocco so far.
I expect to get one of the new version 2 but not until next year, after that I might look into selling my original Scace Device, there should be a nice fist-fight over it on eBay.
I was told in a phone conversation with someone (name forgotten) at Espresso Parts last week or week before that the original device for the Spaziale is unavailable, and they were not encouraging about it becoming available. I dropped Greg Scace an e-mail inquiring about where/how to get one but have had no response.
Niko

Post by Niko »

They are really hard to find, Richard.
I spoke with Greg a while back...don't remember how (email or on a chat in one of the forums on a far off land).
You did the right thing by sending email even though it went unanswered, your voice was heard so I'm sure he'll start building some.
I think there's only 2 of us on this entire forum that has a Scace Device, one on the West Coast (that would be me) and one on the East Coast (I think Carrie in N.Y.), Chas used hers to run some tests some time ago.

Do you need to run some tests to check the offset on your VII?
It was mostly curiosity for my VII but mostly it was my original S1 that was giving me temperature problems. Like I mentioned on another post, I use my Scace once a month on both my Vivaldis to make sure group elements are firing on all cylinders and to see if there's any erratic behavior.
EricC

Post by EricC »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, BUT,

I was talking to Steve, of HasBean here in the UK and a commercial friend of his has been in contact with Greg Scace with regards to the Scace 2 device for the LaSpaziale. Apparently, so he has been advised, it is definately not going to be built :( :( :( , because of the in-availabilty of a portafilter with the guage at the end of the handle in 53mm size. So, if you already have the Original Scace Device for the LaSpaz, i would keep it under lock and key. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards
Eric
Richard

Post by Richard »

Niko wrote:Do you need to run some tests to check the offset on your VII? . . . to make sure group elements are firing on all cylinders and to see if there's any erratic behavior.
Yes to all the above. Part of that's just being curious or, as they say, conservative retentive about temperature stability, recovery, etc., and part of it's diagnostic in that my taste suggests the offset may need to be changed by at least a degree.

And again, if anyone is in need of a 58mm Scace-1 device (for La Cimbali, La Marzocco, various E61, Rancilio, etc.), I can make them a good price on one -- or better yet, swap it for a 53mm. :wink:

(( **laugh** This site invokes some interesting word substitutions, I see. ))
Niko

Post by Niko »

EricC wrote:So, if you already have the Original Scace Device for the LaSpaz, i would keep it under lock and key. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards
Eric
OK! It's going in the gun safe as we speak.... :wink:

Funny thing is when I talked to Greg, he said he would make it available eventually (that was a while back), but I'm afraid Eric is correct unless he finds a way to create a gauge in the PF handle like that.
...and if he did, could you imagine the price? :shock:

Return to “Temp Measurements & Tools”