Group solenoid outlet tube blocked?

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
Paul

Group solenoid outlet tube blocked?

Post by Paul »

Hi guys,

Firstly thanks for a great forum, the posts have helped me greatly to resolve most of the issues I have seen with my newly acquired second hand 2005 S1 V1.

I thought as my machine's history is unknown I'd better try a back-flush. I noticed something different to the sound of my S1 than I had observed during S1 videos I had found online. When the shot was finished (brew or back-flushing) I couldn't hear the pressure being released from the group, and when taking off the PF there was still pressure within. I've stripped down the group solenoid valve as per the excellent instructions within this post

When taking off the backflush tube (part 7541 in the Spaziale parts catalog) I noticed that it appears to be blocked, I'm unable to blow through it in either direction. Looking in the exit end it appears to be blocked off with copper.
Blocked outlet
Blocked outlet
IMG_9576.jpg (77.59 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
I just wanted to check if this is normal before I attempt to drill through the end to open it up?
Tube 7541
Tube 7541
7541.png (53.57 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
Also, my steam pressure gauge is typically around 2.3 bar when the boiler light becomes constant and the boiler stops heating, is this also as I should expect or does this sound too high please?

Thanks,
Paul

UPDATE:
I thought I'd have a go at undoing the soldered larger part of the pipe to investigate before drilling. Not as easy as I expected it to be. I heated the pipe with a butane/propane mixture torch but never managed to separate the larger pipe from the smaller inner pipe. It did however clear some airway through the pipe, so I soaked the entire pipe in Puly Caff Head Cleaner and there is now a water flow through the pipe. I'm still not sure if this pipe should be entirely clear of obstructions, so I'd appreciate others thoughts on that and my current steam pressure if possible?

Regards,
Paul
slo
Barista

Re: Group solenoid outlet tube blocked?

Post by slo »

If I understand things correctly, the copper you see at the end of the tube is normal. It should be there to prevent direct flow down that would splash with a lot of energy in the drip tray. The exit holes should be sideways and the larger tube redirect the flow down after taking the bulk of the energy out.

Depending on how much flow there is, while you have removed, you might as well soak it in a descaling solution. The obstruction is most likely only coffee residue but could also have some scale build up.

Your steam pressure sound like it is way in the red zone is it not?
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Group solenoid outlet tube blocked?

Post by chas »

Re: your high steam pressure issues. Before troubleshooting an actual repair, be sure that the steam pressure gauge itself has not gone bad. With the machine off and cold, the steam pressure gauge's needle should sit exactly at zero. If instead it sits at 1 bar, then your gauge has been damaged and 1 bar actually is zero so a reading of 2.3 bar, for example, would really indicate a pressure of 1.3 bar. All it takes is one hard knock to damage this gauge.

If the gauge is bad you can either live with it and do the math in your head or else replace. If the gauge is good let me know and we can discuss what to check next.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”