S1V1 Steam Boiler tripping GFI outlet

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
robertdrucker

S1V1 Steam Boiler tripping GFI outlet

Post by robertdrucker »

Previous posts point to the culprit being the heating element. Is there anything else I should check first before disassembling the boiler?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: S1V1 Steam Boiler tripping GFI outlet

Post by chas »

If it's the heating element, unplugging the power wires at the top of the boiler will stop the GFI from tripping.Then you'll know for sure.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
robertdrucker

Post by robertdrucker »

Unplugged power wires and nothing tripped, so will order heating element and gasket. Have citric acid from last major overhaul; motor, pump etc.
robertdrucker

Post by robertdrucker »

True confessions: After ordering the heating element and opening the covers, I realized rewiring of scorched or worn wires and terminals was in order. Not being a DIY guy, and knowing how frustrated I got replacing the pump and motor a couple of years ago, I though I should look for a new, less complex machine. I was considering a $1600 HX machine when someone on a HB board said I would be disappointed compared to the S1, and perhaps it was worth sending the machine to Chris Coffee. Eureka! I spoke with Tim this morning, had him hold the heating element and shipped off the S1. Hopefully his estimate will be far less than a new machine and I will get a fully refurbished machine back.

Since I don't want to spend the $400 for a new controller, is there any other upgrades possible that I should consider?
raddude
Latte

Post by raddude »

I had the same issues a few years ago, right after I bought the S1V2. It was metal shaving in the tube that exited the boiler and was clogging the line causing backflow and created a leak, which in turn tripped the GFI.
robertdrucker

Post by robertdrucker »

Update: Joe at CC did a great job refurbishing the S1. Considering everything that was done, it is a reasonable price. Basically anything that could be replaced internally has been. But shipping is soooo expensive! Anyway, I am considering selling what is now a good-as-new machine. I am thinking listing at $1100. Your opinions would be welcome. If I can't sell, I will keep in our finished basement for larger crowds. I am purchasing a Profitec 500 HX machine for the kitchen. Using Chrystal Geyser water which conforms more closely to the SCAA parameters should eliminate the scaling issues I have with the hard water here.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”