No flow from group head and hot water tap

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
btmac

No flow from group head and hot water tap

Post by btmac »

Hi. I am a new user and have a similar issue to a recent thread:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2333

I just pulled my S1 out of storage after about 8 years and it also has no flow from the group and hot water tap. I bought the machine lightly used in about 2006/7 and used it daily for a couple of years. It seems to have some of the V2 parts, but single pressure gauge.

A couple of days ago after plumbing in and heating up, when I pressed either the 1 or 2 cup brew button, there was no noise or flow, and no error code of flashing lights.

After reading the thread noted above I cleaned the flowmeter and the tube connecting to the brew boiler. Both had some mineral deposits blocking flow and chunky scale prevented the flow sensor from turning. I also checked the 3-way solenoid valve and it appears clear.

Those steps produced passive flow to the brew boiler, which I observed by taking out the bolt on top and briefly turning on the water supply. After heating up, pressing the 1 cup brew button then resulted in some flow through the group, but only after pressing the button for several seconds, and the flow stopped after a few seconds. I then tried pressing the 1 cup button again and the pump started but I did not see any flow and this time the 3 green lights flashed. I next tried pressing the 2 cup button with a similar result, except the three yellow lights flashed.

The steam boiler appears to be working fine, with normal steam through the wand. The hot water dispenser does not appear to work.

So, there were clearly mineral deposits clogging a couple of parts, and I guess there are likely to be more. What else should I check and clean? Any other suggestions?

Oh, I should mention that my line water pressure is around 70 psi. Plan to get a regulator but could not find one locally on the weekend.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: No flow from group head and hot water tap

Post by chas »

The hot water flow is completely determined by a solenoid valve. Either the valve is mineraled over inside so that it is stuck closed or else the solenoid itself has failed. If you press the hot water button do you hear a sharp click? If so, odds are the solenoid itself is OK and you probably need to disassemble it and flush out the deposits.

For the group you should start at the flowmeter and be sure that you get both water in and water out. If there are a lot of deposits you can clean it and then have it plug right back up again. If that is OK and you still get no water flow, you may need to disconnect the tube from the flowmeter to the boiler input, and blow through it to be sure it's not clogged. If you get flow into the boiler OK but still nothing or not much out of the group that pretty much leaves the 3-way solenoid valve. In this case the procedure to check the solenoid and the valve is pretty much the same as previously mentioned for the 2-way hot water solenoid valve.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
btmac

Post by btmac »

Thanks for the tips Chas! I had good flow to the boiler after initial cleaning, but it sure is possible that another chunk clogged things up. I will take that path apart again tonight and check it.

Regarding the hot water, I guess if I hear no click on pressing the button it could be a bad solenoid, or a bad switch at the control panel. Regardless, I will take that apart and clean things out there also.

Any recommendations for a pressure regulator?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I bought mine from Chris Coffee many years ago. It was nowhere near as nice as the one below that they currently carry and was probably 1/2 the price. I originally bought it with the 1/4" JG fittings, but later upgraded it to 3/8".

For the S1 V@ or Dream preinfusion where the water just runs in at line pressure for several seconds it is best to set it between 30-45psi. Now that I use a LM GS/3 as my machine I no longer use the regulator since it's preinfusion doesn't work that way.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/Pressure-Re ... /334gg.htm
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
btmac

Post by btmac »

Thanks Chas. Did a more thorough job cleaning the solenoids tonight and everything seems to be working. Plan to pick up a regulator at a local Grainger store tomorrow, Watts P60, looks similar to the one Chris has.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”