Rust on internal frame

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
monkeybongo
Latte

Rust on internal frame

Post by monkeybongo »

I was cleaning my machine and noticed some rusting on the internal frame underneath the paint and curious what I can do. I have a tank model and it's where the tank sits but I thought the paint would have help with some minor dampness.
jfrescki
God Shot

Re: Rust on internal frame

Post by jfrescki »

Just a thought, but maybe something that converts rust to a protective coating, like Rust-Oleum?
John

Mini Vivaldi, EPC-8, SJ, Steel Burr Vario
Behmor, Modded Poppery
Coffee Stuff
monkeybongo
Latte

Post by monkeybongo »

Great suggestion, I'll give it a try.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

monkeybongo wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 4:40 pm Great suggestion, I'll give it a try.
Sorry I'm late to this party, but Rustoleum rust convertor hasn't been as effective for me in automotive use as POR-15 . The Rustoleum product has rusted through on a few projects, but I've been using POR-15 for decades without a failure.

The "proper" way to repair rusty metal is to remove the rust and refinish, but I've used POR-15 on some pretty ratty auto frames and parts over the years with great results. It actually looks pretty good too, if you sand the rust down far enough to get a fairly even surface - you do not have to remove all the rusty metal. The Rustoleum convertor leaves a flat black surface that's not very pretty, but POR-15 comes in gloss black, matte black, silver, grey and clear.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”