S1 Mini 2 Seems Dead (Blown Fuse?) X-Post from HB

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
JerDGold
Latte

S1 Mini 2 Seems Dead (Blown Fuse?) X-Post from HB

Post by JerDGold »

Sorry about the X-Post if that's a problem, I just thought I might get more specialized help here. I'm not very mechanically/technically inclined, but here goes. My hot and turned on machine just turned off today. No blinking power light. After searching the internet pretty extensively, I'd say it appears I have a blown fuse. However, I don't know what I'm supposed to do about. There is a little fuse nubbin underneath my machine next to the power cord which I can pull out, but I don't know what it would look like if it were blown. I understand there is also a fuse in the control box, which I gather is the black box with the on/off and 15a/20a switches on it. I don't want to start playing with that unless someone smarter than me tells me what to do with it.

Obviously I can't read an electrical diagram and am looking for some advice/guidance.
MDL
Barista

Re: S1 Mini 2 Seems Dead (Blown Fuse?) X-Post from HB

Post by MDL »

First, my appologies for not being able to write enough to really help you at this moment; I am on my way out the door to work. Second, you have two issues:
1. Determining which fuse(s) is/are blown
2. Determining why the fuse(s) blew so that you can prevent/repair the problem

I hope that someone else will chime in to assist directing you down the appropriate path before I return from work this evening.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

The fuse by the power cord should be a glass cylinder with a metal cap on each end. For a good fuse you should see a thin wire through the glass that spans between the two end caps. If you see a wire but it has a hole in the middle or if you see no wire at all, you need to replace that fuse.

I don't know what size that fuse is but it is printed on the side of one of the end caps. Assuming you need to purchase a replacement, you should get a small box of five. If there is a problem that caused that fuse to blow, it may blow again as soon as you plug it in.

To reduce the likelihood of this occurrence, you may want to remove at least the warming cup cover so that you can inspect the top of the steam boiler. The wires that go to the steam boiler heating element can oxidize in that hot wet environment and heat up enough to melt. If the wire melts it is possible for it to then bent over and short to the chassis or the boiler and blow the fuse. You should check for this before you head to the hardware store to buy fuses. If one of the wires has melted, it usually happens right next to the crimp on connector. Should this be your issue, you'll also need to buy a new box of crimp connectors while you're at the store. I mention all this in detail because this exact thing has happpened to me. This may not be your issue but it is easy to check for and worth inspecting at least once a year.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JerDGold
Latte

Post by JerDGold »

So it looks like it was "probably" that 20A fuse underneath the machine. Although it appears the wire inside the fuse is intact, there is some black soot on the glass inside the fuse and it appeared some metal had melted on the outside. (Although that metal may have been there the whole time...who knows)

It was almost impossible to get the fuse out of the fuse holder though. I had the actually remove the fuse holder from the machine and dig the old fuse out with a wine key. I damaged the fuse holder a bit and may need to buy a new one...but that's a whole separate issue. Should it have been so hard to get the fuse out? It didn't seem right...
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

It almost sounds like the fuse fused to the fuse holder!
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JerDGold
Latte

Post by JerDGold »

Haha! I feel like I'm swimming in fuse humor!

So I bought some fuses at home depot today and I think I may have bought the wrong ones. The Vivaldis apparently are fitted with 20A, 32V MDL fuses and I bought AGC fuses, which only have a metal strip down the middle, no coil. MDL are slow-blow fuses, while AGC are fast blow. I would guess that either will work with the machine, and I doubt I can do additional damage with the AGC...but what's the consensus?

EDIT: Wasn't willing to wait for you chas. It's alive! Now I'm just watching it heat up lest it blow again. Thanks everyone for the help! Really glad I didn't have to go into the control box!

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”