What's this thing here on the boiler?

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
steamydream

What's this thing here on the boiler?

Post by steamydream »

Hello, picked up an unloved mini 2, trying to resolve some issues. I can't help but notice that something that should have wires connected to it - doesn't :shock:
So underneath the earth wire (yellow/green) what is this thing and why no wires on it?
thanks
IMG_3981.JPG
IMG_3981.JPG (171.32 KiB) Viewed 5847 times
MDL
Barista

Re: What's this thing here on the boiler?

Post by MDL »

I beleive that is the thermal switch to shut things down if the temperature gets too high. It also looks as if your fill sensor is not connected (the connection/thing in the center.
steamydream

Post by steamydream »

Update, yes you are right, I've noticed the previous owner has fitted some sort of aftermarket pressure valve? Bizzare.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

A lot of people have posted photos of their S1's on this Forum over the years. I think we can safely say yours gets the award for ugliest steam boiler!

It is interesting that you are not getting overflow issues (assuming you aren't) since there seems to be no wire connected to the water level sensor.

A far as your disconnected thermal sensor, normally the steam boiler power lead goes to one side of this device and a short jumper connects the other side to the heater element lead. That way the power is shut off in case the temperature of the boiler get too high.

s1v2/images/SIBoilerTop.jpg

As you can see in comparing this photo to your device, so long as they use the correct gauge of wire there is absolutely no factory standardization on the wire color used.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”