Brew pump got noisy, then main fuse blew

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
dregsCup

Brew pump got noisy, then main fuse blew

Post by dregsCup »

Hi all

I'm on my 2nd wave of problems with my 6 year old S1. In the past few weeks the brew group pump got very loud (when pulling shots, and when it first powers up and pulls water in from the filter line), to me it sounded like dying bearings/metal on metal. Then this morning (before we had coffee mind you :| ) the main fuse blew.

My inclination is to run to Ace and see if I can find a close enough match on main fuse to get us through Sunday morning coffee (I'm in CA, good morning!). From here I will likely need to order a few of the correct fuses and also replace the pump.

Any advice or suggestions beyond keeping a stock of fuses and replacing the noisy pump?
Futahaguro
Espresso

Re: Brew pump got noisy, then main fuse blew

Post by Futahaguro »

Try greasing the bearing on the motor? Maybe that will reduce the friction load while you wait for parts to replace it. It is not difficult to pull the pump from the motor, if nothing is seized. You can leave the water line connected but you will need to remove the Teflon hose from the pump output to the motor. The pump is held on to the motor with a simple collar which is tightened by a Phillips screw. You can look at my tear apart post for some pictures as well as searching the forums for pump motor or similar. Hopefully when you remove the tube from the pump it will go back together without a leak:) They use copper crush ferrules and if they are re-used too many times they may not hold pressure without leaking. Mine were fine except for one end of the steam hose.

Also, it may not be the pump as it could be the motor instead. I'm not sure of the official form of testing each to see where the issue is. Maybe you can get away with just replacing the motor bearing, if that is even possible.
Expobar Office Pulser (12 years)
La Spaziale S1V1 2008+ (I just got it)
Rancilio Rocky Doserless (12 years)
La Spaziale Top Grinder (I just got it) (Macap M4)
MDL
Barista

Re: Brew pump got noisy, then main fuse blew

Post by MDL »

If you search for "S1V1 Motor" you will find a thread by Vivaldi Dreamer that details the tear down and rebuilding of the motor bearings in great detail, complete with extensive pictures. The first post in the thread was made on Tuesday, Dec. 30, 2014. I believe that the thread is in Maintenance and Repair.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”