Boiler Leaks on Mini

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
ryanbolson
Freeze Dried

Boiler Leaks on Mini

Post by ryanbolson »

After hearing an sizzling noise inside my machine and noising some moisture on my cup on the heating tray, I opted to open up my mini to see what was up.

I have two leaks:

Leak #1: Appears to be the water inlet to the steam boiler. This is triggered upon refilling. A few seconds after the pump stops, then I get a few drops of water.
See youtube video link to see issue:
https://youtu.be/cxfFH6ctWSk

Recommendations on how to fix "Leak #1"?
Do I need to order replacement parts prior to working on it?

Leak #2: Not sure what this is? A sensor on the top of the boiler with two hex-screws.
Leak is the worst during initial heat up stage. Then it seems to resolve itself, with only an occasional bit of water leaking.
See youtube video link to see issue:
http://youtu.be/ULXjBPSzEHI

Recommendations on how to fix "Leak #2"?
Do I need to order replacement parts prior to working on it?

Your help it much appreciated.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Boiler Leaks on Mini

Post by chas »

Leak 2 is around the water level sensor. The larger hex nut on the bottom attaches the assembly to the boiler. The smaller one actually squeezes a teflon sleeve against the water level probe to lock it in place and to keep water from leaking around it.

In most cases fixing this is just a matter of cinching up the smaller hex nut.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Leak number 1 has become very common. The original S1s using copper tubing for the water connections. Now they have switched to Teflon tubing and where the Teflon mates with the metal threaded fitting a lot of leaks occur. You can try unscrewing the metal fitting and then reseating the Teflon tubing into the fitting. Occasionally it requires pulling off the Teflon tubing, cutting a small piece off the end and then reseating it. The problem with this approach, if it is called for, is that there is often zero slack in the tubing so that there is no way to trim off even 1/4".
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
ryanbolson
Freeze Dried

Post by ryanbolson »

REF: Leak #1 - How do you unscrew the metal fitting? There is round metal part where the tube fits in. That part just spins. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to pull or push and twist?
I want to be cautious that I don't break anything.

REFL Leak #2 - I first tightened the top, smaller nut. That didn't work. So I losened and retightened the bottom, larger nut. I believe this worked. I am going to let the unit cool down fully, then turn it back on again. The heating stage seems to be when this leak surfaces.

Please advise on how to properly loosen the fitting to try to reseat the tube.

Thanks
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Leak 1. That's a push fit connection. When there's no pressure in the line, push in metal ring while pulling the tube to release it.
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
eskilbrun
Latte

Post by eskilbrun »

I have the exact same problem with my Mini.
Just a slight whistling noise and then the occational leaking. Some of the leaked water bubbled up and touched some of the power connectors and this caused the automatic circuit breaker to trip. I did at first not suspect the Mini but was in the process of having an electrician replace the circuit breaker.

I have ordered replacement fittings and tubing from chriscoffee.com but have to wait some days for them to arrive since I live in Norway and had to ship through a carrier company (jetcarrier.com). In the meantime I have gotten a hold of some other replacement parts that may fit. Getting a small length of tubing is probably a smart thing to do. Having some replacement tubing lying around to try and fix the leak again should it occur.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”