S1V1 steam boiler fitting maintenance

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
Bob_McBob
Macchiato

Post by Bob_McBob »

I have an old S1V1 I've been using on and off for the last few years. It was manufactured in 2006 and probably had a hard life with the local water supply before I acquired it. I descaled it when I first got it, and I've since stripped and cleaned most parts of the brew path at various times, and it's in great running order (my favourite steamer!). Most of the fittings on the steam boiler have mineral deposits around them, and I recently noticed the hot water supply fitting has a very slight leak where it screws into the boiler.

I'm happy to remove the steam boiler and do a full strip down. I know I'll need a new boiler gasket, but I may also need new hoses and the fittings that attach them, and I'm not sure where to order those. I'm also worried about unscrewing boiler fittings and discovering corrosion that makes them impossible reassemble, but the hot water fitting must obviously be repaired to fix the leak. I'd love to get any advice and suggestions on how to proceed and what to order from other owners.

MDL
Barista

Re: S1V1 steam boiler fitting maintenance

Post by MDL »

You should be able to get any necessary parts from Chris Coffee. When I broke the drain plug on my machine they talked me through the repair that I was able to accomplish myself.

I found that adding Teflon tape to the fittings sealed things where there had been a little bit of leakage.

Good luck...
Bob_McBob
Macchiato

Post by Bob_McBob »

Thank you for your reply. I have no problem handling this repair, but I'm a little worried about the mineral deposits around each fitting and whether there will be corrosion that causes further damage when I attempt to unscrew and retighten them. Is there anything I should order from CC other than the steam boiler gasket (I may as well get a brew boiler gasket and do that at the same time) and some extra plastic hose and the internal end fittings for it?

Are there any special tools I'm going to need? I assume I should remove the boiler fittings and carefully descale and replace them with PTFE tape, but I'm unsure if some of them are not meant to be removed and don't want to cause any further damage.
frachlitz

Post by frachlitz »

I gave up sourcing the right parts (I am in Europe) and with help of some parts from my work (from full-automatics) I succeeded:-)
(A bit tricky with most of my new parts in metric)
(Edit: Now with pictures)
The parts....
The parts....
IMG_3878.JPG (787.16 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
The final installation
The final installation
IMG_3881.JPG (922.77 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
At the valve. Used a push-inn as i did not have the tool to make the correct ends on the tubing for the compression fittings.
At the valve. Used a push-inn as i did not have the tool to make the correct ends on the tubing for the compression fittings.
IMG_3883.JPG (829.75 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
At the boiler end
At the boiler end
IMG_3885.JPG (791.53 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
Last edited by frachlitz on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Thanks for trying but your image upload didn't work. I can't see them either directly on the Forum OR via Tapatalk.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
frachlitz

Post by frachlitz »

chas wrote:Thanks for trying but your image upload didn't work. I can't see them either directly on the Forum OR via Tapatalk.
Redone from a computer - the images should now be there.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Thanks. Sometime today I'll log into the Tapatalk S1Cafe Admin account to be sure I don't have it configured to disallow uploads.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”