Rocky bur gear change

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Rocky bur gear change

Post by rhinoevans »

Ordered some bur gears for the DL Rocky grinder about a year ago. At the time thought the old burs were still good. Decided to change out today. Very difficult to remove the screws holding the burs but finally was able to remove. Cleaned up the grinder and installed the new burs. On reassemble I was unable to get the burs to chatter on the lowest possible setting. Removed and replaced 3-4 time. Compared to old and look the same. Could not figure out what I was doing wrong . Not much to replacing burs and aligning. So put in old burs and chatter no problem. So even thought they look the same, they are not. Call Chris coffee where I purchases them and talked to Tim. On the bag it said Rancillo 40 burs. On the bur It was marked Rancillo trademark and A.13. On the old, only the Rancillo trademark. Anyway, going to send back to Chriss Coffee so they can see if any difference.
Any one have this problem. Upgrading next month to a new Mazzer mini elctronic. Considered the a Super Jolly electronic but Tim mentioned Jolly quite larger and in his opinion would get about the same grind from the small grinder. Any thoughts.
Firochromis
Macchiato

Re: Rocky bur gear change

Post by Firochromis »

I'm not an experienced user but from what I read Jolly is much better grinder than Mini. Upgrade once to the best, otherwise you'll always wonder the Jolly.
Be in Peace,

Firat Cingi
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

Good point, thanks
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I bought a Rocky around 2003 and changed the burrs once around 2009. I had no problems. So it sounds like maybe they did change something about the burrs or they sent you the wrong ones.

At this time I only use the Rocky for non-espresso needs. A Mazzer Kony-E is my daily driver. With the Mazzer big boys like the Jolly, Kony, Robur you can minimize the impact of their height by changing to a shorter hopper. If money is an issue you can usually pick up a used one for a reasonable price and refurbish it for a reasonable price. Usually a good cleanup and maybe a set of burrs at most.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

Tim at Chriss Coffee said he could tell no difference in the bur gears. Sending me a new set and I hope,it works. It not going to Home Depot to get some very thin washers to raise the gears .

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”