Need A New Group Head Gasket

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
Zzyzx

Need A New Group Head Gasket

Post by Zzyzx »

Hi All,

I'm starting to get a bit of leaking around my group head, so it looks like a new rubber gasket will be needed. While I'm at it, is there any other gaskets or parts (other then the screens) that would be recommended?

It was also be appreciated if someone has a good source online at a decent price!

Thanks for the help!

Dave
MDL
Barista

Re: Need A New Group Head Gasket

Post by MDL »

The screens should last for a long time. I don't know anyone who has replaced screens unless they are bent or otherwise damaged by the user. Many vendors sell the gasket but shipping will be as much or more than the cost of the part. You should check for local vendors who might be able to supply you with a gasket.

If you update your profile to show where you are located it would help us to suggest options based upon geography.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

EspressoParts.com has them for $6.04 and CCS has them for 6.95. The cost multiplier on these is shipping. You won't pay any more for shipping regardless of whether you get 1 or 10 from EspressoParts. ($10.21). From CCS you'll pay 12.95 for shipping from 1-7. 8 or more and you get the >$50 free shipping deal.

That's to my location in Maryland. You're shipping costs may vary. In any case I'd buy a few and if there are any other small items you needs through those on as well to take advantage of the shipping cost remaining the same until you exceed 1lb.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Zzyzx

Post by Zzyzx »

Thanks for the information guys. I also updated my profile location just in case it help!

I'll look at Espressoparts.com in the meantime. Thanks Chas!
Dan Bollinger

Post by Dan Bollinger »

The first time I need to replace my VII gasket I'm going to mold one from RTV silicone rubber. The one I made for my E-61 machine was still good after 3 years.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Just to help you decide on the quantity you should buy.
My experience has been that, leaving the machine ON 24/7, the P/F gasket needs a replacement on average every 6 months.
In a drawer away from the sunlight and heat the will last many years. So it is worth to order a few at a time.
I usually order gaskets along other things, even if I do not need them right away.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
Zzyzx

Post by Zzyzx »

It looks likes there a few sizes to choose from :roll:
From Cafe Parts:
65x53x6.7mm
64x52x6.3mm
63x52x6.5
From Espresso Parts:
63x 52x6mm

Is there a consensus of the best size to use on these?

Thanks!
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

I have measured both spare gasket that I currently hold. They both come out at 64.3 x 52.7 x 6.3 mm. I would guess that the 64 x 52 x 6.3 are the closest one.
These are the gasket from the manufacturer (Canadian distributor in Montreal) with a LS molded on the gasket and the 4 notches on the perimeter. They fit pretty well on my machine (VII from CCS).

chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

When I had the S1 VI and then the S1 VII before the GS/3, I was never aware that there were more than one gasket thickness available. However, on my first order of LM gaskets for the GS/3, after installing the gasket I could barely get the PF on the group and the handle was nowhere near the 6 o'clock position. After checking into it I found that they sell a variety of thicknesses 6, 7, 8, 9 mm. The reason is that in commercial use as the group wears down the handle ends up well past the 6 o'clock position. So you can order thicker gaskets as required to bring the PF handle back to 6. Turns out that I had purchased an 8mm gasket and I needed a 6mm one.

In the case of the LaSpaz gaskets the difference is on a few tenths of a mm between sizes so I am not sure how much difference that would make.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Zzyzx

Post by Zzyzx »

Talk about confusing. When you look at the exploded diagram (http://www.cafeparts.com/productDetail5 ... emID=72915), not only does the group head gasket come in 3 different sizes, but several other parts as well. It appears by he diagram that they a offering parts for both the S1 & s3 within the same diagram. Could you imagine trying to order a car part this way?!?

I agree Chas, I can't imagine that a few tenths is going to make much of a difference.

I might just go with 64x52x6.3mm as Sylvain mentioned.
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

I can only get the 53mm i.d. to work on my machine! I ordered all sizes and tried them all. Despite tears, swearing and maximum exertion, I could not get the 52mm to work. Alas! No one felt sorry for me!
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

If you look at the La Spaziale parts catalog they indeed offer 2 different thickness. I believe that Chas is correct in assuming that it is because of P/F ears wear.
What I do not understand is the different diameters available? There have been a number of reports of people having a hell of a time getting the gasket in place.

The thickness should not be a big deal but should not be underestimated either. With a brand new P/F and machine and a brand new thicker gasket, it might be difficult to even engage the P/F. But this is just a guess on my part.

chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

The S1 Parts Manual shows both the 6.3mm and the 6.7mm.
Chas
Hottop P/B
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

slo wrote:If you look at the La Spaziale parts catalog they indeed offer 2 different thickness. I believe that Chas is correct in assuming that it is because of P/F ears wear.
What I do not understand is the different diameters available? There have been a number of reports of people having a hell of a time getting the gasket in place.
I agree. What I meant is the different diameter being offered by the parts suppliers (Cafe part, and others)?

zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Hey guys.

Today i noticed my gasket was leaking a bit so "New gasket time". I have a spare one that was included with my machine. The gasket came out ok, a bit of prying. It was dry and cracked. The new one looked thicker. No way that thing was going in. It would not press in so i had to center the gasket on the portafilter and drive it in with the PF.. It just popped back out as soon as i removed PF.. I had to shave the gasket so it would slide into its home smoother. I had to push it in with the PF again, no way i could get it in with fingers.
So its in. screens back in, all clean.
The PF does not fit near as nice as it did. Way tight.At 6 oclock thats pushing it. More like 5 oclock now . I tested the seal with a blind PF, all good. I will try this for a few days maybe it will settle in . If not i will call CCS and find out what gasket is included, order a smaller one.

Funny though. As i was trying to install the gasket i was thinking to myself .." WTF. This cant be that difficult".
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

It is indeed sometime hard to get it in. Last change I did I put the gasket in the freezer for a while to get it to shrink. It does not shrink a lot but it does help with a hot machine to put it in.
The end position of the P/F should be at or before the 6 o'clock. I last changed the gasket about 3 months ago and the P/F seals at 6:30 or even 6:45 still.

zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Hi. Yes. 6 oclock is possible if i heave the PF over. At 5 it is still tight. I emailed Mary at CCS to send me out the proper seal. It does work but now my PF does not fit right. The overall quality of the fit is pretty bad IMO.
I did the seal on my silvia years ago and that one just popped in no prob. The seal fit absolutely perfectly.
Hopefully Mary will send one out ASAP.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”