Oh Boy, I screw up...Need help ...again.

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
SimonSoCal

Oh Boy, I screw up...Need help ...again.

Post by SimonSoCal »

As I was trying to descale the brew group. I accidentaly dropped a needle tip into the boiler (I was trying to siphon out the vinegar solution). Now I need to know how can I open up the boiler without using the hook wrench to open the back of the boiler (the golden portion of the unit)?

Stupid me.
Sure appreciate if someone (like John , Endo, or Chas ) can chip in. Thank you so much.

I'm really disappointed with myself.
Endo

Re: Oh Boy, I screw up...Need help ...again.

Post by Endo »

Needle tip?

Well, the boiler is stainless (non magnetic), and a needle would be steel (magnetic), so I would think one of those telescopic magnets they use to fish out bolts around car engines should work well.

http://www.lowes.ca/magnetic-tools/gene ... 98239.html
SimonSoCal

Post by SimonSoCal »

Thanks for a quick response Endo.
Do you think the size of the those magnet will fit thru the hex whole?
Also, I tried to look through the whole but I can't even see it, I'm afraid it fall pass the thermosat. will that make it difficuilt to retrieve it?
Anyway, what is my alternative? How can I remove the back end with the hook wrench? Is there any difficulity and problem once if I was able to remove it? Like, would I need to replace more parts afterward?

Man, I'm so not ready for this. Days before the holidays.

Thanks again Endo.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Sorry, it thought I read steam boiler.

Luckily, brass is not magnetic either. So the magnet still might work.

If not, no big deal. Just remove the brass nut on the back using one of the various methods ( big wrench and rag method or wood and hammer method). It's a more effective way to descale as well.
SimonSoCal

Post by SimonSoCal »

Any suggestion to remove the nuts from the back. I dont have hook wrench and I wanted it out:
I tried to use a adjustable wrench on the fins and use a hammer to hammer it counterclockwise (facing it directly from the back of the unit)
So far it is working.
SimonSoCal

Post by SimonSoCal »

latest development,
I got out the nuts but I cant pull out the thermostats.
Apparently the thermostat is wider than the opening. Can it be possible?
cannot pull.JPG
cannot pull.JPG (220.74 KiB) Viewed 17365 times
Endo

Post by Endo »

It's not the temp sensor that is binding ( that is straight). It is the the heating element ( which is a hooked shape). You can see the part which is binding in the bottom of your photo. Most likely the heating of the element has caused it to widen slightly so it can no longer come out. You may need to get a screwdriver in their under it and pry it slightly back into shape. Be very gentle as to bend it only enough to remove it.

Have a look at my blog. It shows you the shape of the element.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Unless you already ordered one, before you screw the group boiler cover back on, you'll need a replacement gasket. I think in the catalog below it is part number 7418. If you don't already have that part on hand, you have about a week (or probably more with the holidays), to figure everything out and get the boiler cleaned out. I talked to Chris yesterday and I don't think they are shipping again until the 26th.

LaSpaziale S1 Parts Catalog
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
SimonSoCal

Post by SimonSoCal »

Thanks Chas,
What if I didn't replace the 7481?
As matter of fact, I didn't realize I have to replace it. I got the needle out and re-screw the back-end on and test it for awhile. Actually I was flushing the vinegar out of the system with OS water...and so far, I dont see no leaks.
should I be worry? I already placed an order for the pump last week and will be arriving after the new year. I dont have any immediate order from Chris yet. Your advise or Endo suggestion will be greatly appreciate.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The o'ring seal should be reusable as long as it's not deformed.
SimonSoCal

Post by SimonSoCal »

Thanks John for your reply. Happy NY to you and all the S1 cafe
SimonSoCal

Post by SimonSoCal »

After a month of waiting. I finally got my pump from Chris.
Question, can someone remind or direct me on how to remove the bearing (the one closest to the pump) from the motor?

Btw, After I re-read e post I realized there are more than one set of bearing. Now if I successfully replace the front bearing closest to the pump but I am still hearing funny noise, does that mean I have to replace the other bearing? Where is that going be?

Many thanks.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

That was certainly a long wait for the pump. You could have bought it directly from the distributor but maybe there was a supply problem. The rear bearing is in the rear motor cover but shouldn't be an issue. The front one fails because water gets in otherwise they'd last many years with the limited use these machines see in home use.

Changing the bearing requires removing the front motor cover which is held in place by the bolts that run from front to rear. Once the cover is off you need to drive the old bearing out after noting it's position in the cover. When installing the new bearing use a socket or tube slightly smaller then the bearing's od to seat it in the cover. Only apply pressure to the outer race. Pounding on the inner race will destroy the bearing. If the rotor comes out with the cover you will have to drive the rotor shaft back out of the old bearing. Be careful not to mess up the end of the shaft.
SimonSoCal

Post by SimonSoCal »

Thanks John for your explaination and time.
Do you have any picture showing the race and the actual components?
Much appreciate, once again.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

There are a few photos here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=486 Once you get in there it's all pretty obvious.
SimonSoCal

Post by SimonSoCal »

Ok weekend project is on,
I got the motor out and barely able to unscrew the three nuts that secure the cover.
However, I'm not able to remove the cover. John mention once the cover is out I can tap the bearing out with a socket.
But I'm not even there yet.

Thanks in advance
SimonSoCal

Post by SimonSoCal »

image.jpg
image.jpg (218.46 KiB) Viewed 16950 times
Update: I got the cover out but for the life of me, I an having a hard time getting the bearing out. If you can't see the details the old bearing is cooked. I tried hammer it out and soak with WD 40 but so far no luck.

Please advise.

Btw, I think I'm going to have a hard time putting the covers back too. It's very bidding on the outer coils. See photos.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (189.25 KiB) Viewed 16950 times

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”