Is the pump suppose to spin freely?

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
SimonSoCal

Is the pump suppose to spin freely?

Post by SimonSoCal »

I just discovered my motor and pump have a leaks and rusted. [ please see my other post on S1VII- operation trouble]
While I'm waiting for help. I wonder as I'm testing the parts that need replacement, I've question if the pump suppose to spin just as freely as the motor rod?
Right now, the motor spin fine with a hint of metal rubbing, but when I try to spin the rod on the pump it is rather difficult with noticable resistance [by hands].

Now I did not disassemble the the water tubing from the pump but I did unplug and shut off the water from coming thru the OS system.

Please advise.
Also I would really appreciate if someone can give some suggestion to my original question on the other post as well. I need to learn how to take off the bearings.
Oh below is the motor after I did my best cleanup:
cleanup.jpg
cleanup.jpg (147.92 KiB) Viewed 7776 times
cleanup.jpg
cleanup.jpg (147.92 KiB) Viewed 7776 times
Attachments
pump.jpg
pump.jpg (117.48 KiB) Viewed 7776 times
JohnB

Re: Is the pump suppose to spin freely?

Post by JohnB »

The pump will have some resistance & I wouldn't expect it to spin as freely as the motor shaft. To change the motor bearing you will have to remove the two bolts holding the front & rear covers in place & pull off the front cover which holds the bad bearing. Once the cover is off you should be able to drive out the bearing. I haven't had the motor apart so there may or may not be a lock ring holding the bearing in place.
SimonSoCal

Post by SimonSoCal »

Thanks John for your replies .
If not too much to ask, based on the photos above. Does it look bad to you ( both motor (before was on another thread) and pump) ?
Cheers
Endo

Post by Endo »

Shouldn't these motors use a viton seal rather than a metal dust shield? Then again, I guess you get whatever comes with the motor.

From the look of that high-water mark, I would bet that bearing is as rusty inside as out. Is that metal dust shield removable?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

SimonSoCal wrote:Thanks John for your replies .
If not too much to ask, based on the photos above. Does it look bad to you ( both motor (before was on another thread) and pump) ?
Cheers
Doesn't look any worse then mine but what matters is how that bearing sounds when you spin the motor shaft & if you can feel any roughness as the drive shaft turns. If so then replace the bearing. Any decent automotive supply shop (Napa) can get you the bearing using that number on the bearing face if you don't have a local bearing supplier.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Or you can them off Ebay for about $5 each. The number is 6202 Z (that's not a 2 on the end but a Z, which means a single metal shield).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Motor- ... 1020540521

Though I still think you'd be much better off replacing it with a 6202 2RS sealed version for about $10 (2RS means double rubber shield, which is the right choice for wet applications).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-of-10-6202- ... 1023220418

That way you'd never need to worry about water again.

Then again, if you drill a good sized drainage hole and coat the metal dust cover heavily with waterproof grease, you'd probably be OK too. (But why take the chance for $5 I say).

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”