Can't descale my mini Vivaldi. A bar in the way.

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
bgosselin

Can't descale my mini Vivaldi. A bar in the way.

Post by bgosselin »

I've been an owner of a mini Vivaldi for at least 4 years. I never did any descaling. It's not use that much but still after all those years I know it should be done.

I read multiple post on the subject and took it apart today to remove the Vacuum breaker so I can empty the steam boiler and refill it with descale solution.

But there a bar on the way. Is there a way to rotate de boiler? I think the bar is part of the structure so it can't be remove. Should I try to grind it? I can't imagine the mess it will do. I'm sure I'm not the only one that face that problem.

Here's a picture.
Attachments
photo-1.JPG
photo-1.JPG (116.96 KiB) Viewed 11500 times
Endo

Re: Can't descale my mini Vivaldi. A bar in the way.

Post by Endo »

The earlier model didn't have the cutout in the frame. If you look for the topic "mini changes" you'll see what the frame cutout looks like. I suppose you could move the boiler but if it were me, I'd grind away the frame to make clearance with a Dremel, like on the new model. Try covering the to of the boiler with a rag so the metal dust doesn't fly everywhere.
expy98

Post by expy98 »

any chance you can find a short enuf socket that will fit under the bar? If not, perhaps get a thin-walled socket and have it shortened or hacksaw and file the socket.
You only need to crack it loose so it doesn't need to be super short...
Last edited by expy98 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgosselin

Post by bgosselin »

Thanks!

I will check again this weekend what can be done. Probably go with the grinding. I'm always searching for good reason to get my Dremel out. :)

One more question. If I send it to the Vivaldi shop (Cafe Union in Montreal) Would they grind it and do this method of descaling or they will do something else?

My wife would give me a hard time if I accidentally break something.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Just cover everything up around the cutting area, use a hand vac, and you'll be fine. Your just doing the same thing the factory does. No way to screw it up. Use flat black touch-up paint afterwards, if you want to prevent rust.

Believe me....you'll be MUCH more careful than any espresso machine tech in Montreal (scares me to even think about it). It's your baby after all.

If you still feel the urge to get help....ask to speak to the tech and see the repair area before you decide. Chances are you'll be running back home! :lol:
expy98

Post by expy98 »

lazy me would rather measure the height of the bottom-of-cup to top-of-bar and go to local hw store
and buy a socket shorter than that. Otherwise imo much cleaner to chop the socket.
I would rather do a hack job on the socket instead of a more careful job on the bar but then again I'm pretty lazy.
Either way, after an Endo-descale, try removing some water out of the hot water tap when done w/ steaming
each time to keep the mineral content from building.
bgosselin

Post by bgosselin »

I may go that route..but space is very limited. There is a surrounding that block the way also. It would be easier for sure.
Socket needed is 19mm if I'm not mistaking.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Sockets are pretty hard. The frame is rather soft steel and should grind easy.

Another option might be to try turning the copper cup with some big pliers, to see if it turns the vac breaker at the same time.
bgosselin

Post by bgosselin »

Yes put i need to put it back in after. :)

I think grinding could turn out to be the only real solution. Will check this weekend.
expy98

Post by expy98 »

a pair of long needle-nose pliers might do the trick and putting it back in doesn't require much torque (altho breaking it loose
might need more). I still would rather hacksaw a socket, easier w/ a vise. Socket is no match for $5 hacksaw.
bgosselin

Post by bgosselin »

I finally descale my mini Vivaldi yesterday. My water is very soft. I check and its between 0 and 50ppm. Closer to 0. I have a reverse osmosis system under the sink thatseem to do its job right.

I didn't grind the bar but I had to dissasemble a good part of my Vivaldi. At first I thought that unscrewing this nut that hold the boiler would do the trick. The nut that keep the green wire in place. But a tube prevent me from pushing the boiler far enough to clear the bar. So i had to remove the stanless cover that cut the reservoir from the inside of the Vivaldi. The boiler when down a bit so i could remove the Vacuum breaker. Doing so cause two bolts to move so to be able to put them back i add to remove the plastic side on the left.

I wouldn't recommanded that route for someone that want to descale the boiler often. I don't plan of doing it more than every few years so it was ok for me. I may still grind the bar at some point. I ordered a replacement Vacuum breaker and plan on grinding the bar when its replacement will be needed.

Thanks for everyone help.

I replaced the steam wand for the longer version (regular type) and i'm planing to add the preinfusion chamber in the next few weeks.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346508252.860430.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346508252.860430.jpg (81.24 KiB) Viewed 11369 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346508237.652259.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346508237.652259.jpg (75.5 KiB) Viewed 11369 times
bgosselin

Post by bgosselin »

I got the pre infusion kit. I just finished installing it. I grind the bar at the same time and install a new vacuum breaker.

Machine will be a lot easier to descale now.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”