Offset Poll #1

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.

What is your offset temperature?

+5C
5%
+4C
14%
+3C
36%
+2C
9%
+1C
No votes
23%
-1C
9%
-2C
5%
-3C
No votes
-4C
No votes
-5C
No votes

Total votes: 22

chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Offset Poll #1

Post by chas »

I thought it might be useful to get an idea of the range of offset values everyone has and how they were set.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Re: Offset Poll #1

Post by Endo »

Excellent idea!

It makes a better starting point guess than just "0" for thoese who buy machines which aren't calibrated.

Based on my informal poll I originally set mine to +3C. It was later confirmed by rental Scace.
MichaelN

Post by MichaelN »

My machine arrived with no offset pre-calibrated. I played with my settings between +1 and +3C and finally settled upon +2 based on taste. I did this by comparing the results between my machine and another machine that had been properly calibrated with a Scace. Then I validated the settings using my homemade styro-scace: http://www.s1cafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1365#p16337

Michael
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Where is the 1.77*C option?
Barabus

Post by Barabus »

+4 for me set by Chris Coffee
jerrycl

Post by jerrycl »

Just wondering if anyone has noticed whether the temp offset changes on installation of the mechanical preinfusion?

Mine arrived uncalibrated and I set the offset to +3 on the back of the poll on this thread (I don't have access to a scace device). But I note that Chris' Coffee is using an offset of +4. Could this be because the preinfusion chamber creates additional heat drain on the group head?
AndyPanda

Post by AndyPanda »

jerrycl wrote:Just wondering if anyone has noticed whether the temp offset changes on installation of the mechanical preinfusion?

Mine arrived uncalibrated and I set the offset to +3 on the back of the poll on this thread (I don't have access to a scace device). But I note that Chris' Coffee is using an offset of +4. Could this be because the preinfusion chamber creates additional heat drain on the group head?
It's several years since you asked the question, but I love to resurrect old threads 8) . I ran my Mini with mechanical preinfusion for a few weeks then took the preinfusion off and I found that it does make a difference.

I was using +4 with the preinfusion and I also would alternate warming flushes into a cup with flushes into a blind basket (letting pressure build to 9 bars with the blind filter would fill the PI chamber to warm it) .... when I removed the PI chamber I found I needed to change my offset to +3.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”