S1V1 Steam Boiler tripping GFI outlet

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
robertdrucker
Latte

S1V1 Steam Boiler tripping GFI outlet

Post by robertdrucker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:59 pm

Previous posts point to the culprit being the heating element. Is there anything else I should check first before disassembling the boiler?

chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: S1V1 Steam Boiler tripping GFI outlet

Post by chas » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:24 pm

If it's the heating element, unplugging the power wires at the top of the boiler will stop the GFI from tripping.Then you'll know for sure.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.19 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

robertdrucker
Latte

Post by robertdrucker » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:27 pm

Unplugged power wires and nothing tripped, so will order heating element and gasket. Have citric acid from last major overhaul; motor, pump etc.

robertdrucker
Latte

Post by robertdrucker » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:29 am

True confessions: After ordering the heating element and opening the covers, I realized rewiring of scorched or worn wires and terminals was in order. Not being a DIY guy, and knowing how frustrated I got replacing the pump and motor a couple of years ago, I though I should look for a new, less complex machine. I was considering a $1600 HX machine when someone on a HB board said I would be disappointed compared to the S1, and perhaps it was worth sending the machine to Chris Coffee. Eureka! I spoke with Tim this morning, had him hold the heating element and shipped off the S1. Hopefully his estimate will be far less than a new machine and I will get a fully refurbished machine back.

Since I don't want to spend the $400 for a new controller, is there any other upgrades possible that I should consider?

raddude
Freeze Dried

Post by raddude » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:28 pm

I had the same issues a few years ago, right after I bought the S1V2. It was metal shaving in the tube that exited the boiler and was clogging the line causing backflow and created a leak, which in turn tripped the GFI.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”