fan noise has gotten loud

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
aptosca

fan noise has gotten loud

Post by aptosca »

The fan noise on my six year old V2 has gotten pretty loud. I figure that means it's failing?

I've been lazy and not opened it up. I don't actually remember how (though I did a bunch of maintenance on it when I first got it.)

Do I remember that fan (and other related) failure is an issue? I read that the new models are fan-less but I'm not sure if that's a retrofit I should consider at this point.

There's a place in SF that does repairs. I'm thinking I could take it there ...

Recommendations?
MDL
Barista

Re: fan noise has gotten loud

Post by MDL »

Remove the front cover and check to see if the fan has become loose or if something (a wire, etc.) is getting hit by the fan.

Doing this requires removing the drip tray and then the two screws that hold the front cover in place.

I have never replaced my fan, but it should be pretty easy. Changing out the board to the new control board is going to be much more work and much more money.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

MDL, you forgot one step. Once the front cover is off and the drip tray removed, there is still a small chrome bracket on the lower right side that is in front of the fan but behind the expansion valve and 3-way which prevents water from splashing back into the area where the fan and circuit boards are. It is held onto the right side of the chassis with one screw.

If you need to replace the fan, the screw end of the two nut/bolts that attach the fan to the bottom of the chassis are accessed from the bottom. You either need to tilt the machine up or lay it on it's left side to remove those screws. Then just unplug the fan from the steam boiler triac board and remove it. Those fans are cheap. It's a 40mm, 12v fan.

I've had good luck with this replacement fan: http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Mini-KAZE- ... P7T6KJ3H7T

This old thread may help, too. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=385&p=3274&hilit=noise#p3274
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
aptosca

Post by aptosca »

Are we talking about the same fan? I think I'm thinking of a fan on the boiler(s)?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

We can't be talking about any other fan. There's only one on the older machines and none on any that have shipped in the last two years.

The fan is not "on" the boiler. It cools the triac on the steam boiler triac board. On the 120V S1 model there is 12A running through that triac when the steam boiler is on so it gets pretty warm. Whereas there is 6.5A running through the group triac when it is on. So convective cooling is enough for the group triac board. Therefore, only one fan is required.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

BTW: This repair takes one Philips screwdriver, one slotted screwdriver, removal of 5 screws - about 15 minutes total time. You don't need to remove the side or rear panels.
Chas
Hottop P/B
aptosca

Post by aptosca »

Thanks for the info. I figure it's gotta be that fan, if it's the only one. Obviously I never really understood the geometry when I was reading about getting rid of the fan on the old thread.

It's a simple enough repair that I can do it. I let you know how it turns out.

Thanks!
aptosca

Post by aptosca »

You know, I'm not 100% sure of the source of the noise. Is there some chance it's one of the high-power electrical components dying?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Depends on the sound and when it happens. The steam boiler fan only runs when the steam boiler heater element is on. So if you only hear the noise when the red boiler light is blinking then it's the fan. If you hear the noise when the boiler light is off, then its something else.
Chas
Hottop P/B
aptosca

Post by aptosca »

Crud. I didn't pay enough attention. It was cycling on and off pretty quickly, small number of minutes (if that) for a fraction of a minute, I think. But that may not be reliable (or useful.)

I've got the fan out now. Not sure I want to put it back together before I get the replacement.

Another thing I didn't pay attention to: on the orientation, is the label towards the inside or the outside?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Most fans have a arrow somewhere on the plastic frame that indicates air flow direction.
Chas
Hottop P/B
aptosca

Post by aptosca »

Yeah, it does. Is this an intake or exhaust configuration?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Make sure the arrow points toward the bottom of the triac board; i.e. the fan has to pull cool air up through the bottom of the chassis and blow it on the hot triac board.
Chas
Hottop P/B
aptosca

Post by aptosca »

Yeah, seems to be that fan. I cleaned it out and it's less noisy. Now it sounds like some of the comments from the earlier post. I'll replace it with a new fan and maybe try some of the other things from that post (gasket, position).

Thanks again. Much less hassle than trying to find someone to service it.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Here's what I did that changed my VII fan from sounding like a miniature air raid siren to being absolutely silent.

Once you have removed the front panel and that small chrome splash protector:

1) Remove the two screws and nuts that attach the fan.
2) Take them with you to the hardware store.
3) Find the identical screw but the next standard size longer. Buy two screws plus two more nuts. Keep the original two nuts and ensure than all four fit on the new screws.
4) Put the new, longer screws through the holes in the chassis of the VII. Put two of the nuts on the screws from the inside and tighten. Now put the fan on so that the first two nuts act as spacers to hold the bottom of the fan up off the chassis.
5) Connect the last two nuts to the top of the screws to hold the fan down.
6) Reconnect the fan wire and then replace the other chrome parts.

If you have any fan noise now you need a new fan.
Chas
Hottop P/B
aptosca

Post by aptosca »

chas wrote:I've had good luck with this replacement fan: http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Mini-KAZE- ... P7T6KJ3H7T
How did you end up attaching this? The connectors on the plug on the new fan and the socket on the PC board are different enough to not be compatible.

Splice in the old connector?
aptosca

Post by aptosca »

I spliced it in. A little ugly but works fine. Much, much quieter. Thanks!

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”