Blue Bottle Roman Espresso - Help!

Discussion of various types and blends of commercially available pre-roasted beans, their best sources, prices, their respective merits, and the Vivaldi settings required to optimism flavor.
BEAN

Blue Bottle Roman Espresso - Help!

Post by BEAN »

They were out of Hayse Valley (my normal espresso) and only had Roman available so I bought some... but man... 184 at the portafilter!!!!! any suggestions? How can I get a temp that low. Even at 91 it is bitter and burnt. :cry:

Roman Espresso
A bit of a hothouse flower, the Roman Espresso can turn on you in an instant if one of a dozen or so brewing parameters are not to its liking. Generally, it likes lower brewing temperatures (approximately 184 at the portafilter), and slower extraction times. In the right machine, it is a crema bomb, pouring oceans of the red/brown frothy stuff into your unsuspecting demitasse. When all is well, the result is a sweet, carmelly, fruity medium-bodied espresso that takes modest amounts of milk in the most delightful way. As pleasant as it is, after a couple of years of tweaking and fine-tuning, it doesn't much resemble the espresso enjoyed in Rome any more, but we're not about to shell out another twelve bucks for a new rubber stamp when we have a perfectly good one right here.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

You can get to 184*F by switching to V1 mode where your 91C light will now be 85C(185*F). Then use the V1 fine setting function to drop down or up to dial it in to taste. Be advised that you need to know the offset setting on your V2 before switching as it can get wiped out & reset to 0* by the switch. You can easily reset the offset when you are back in V2 mode if you note the setting before switching.
BEAN

Wow thanks

Post by BEAN »

Could you tell me how to check the offset and how to change it to V1 setting? Thanks!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

This link will show you how to determine & change your machine's offset:
http://www.rimpo.org/s1v2/images/S1V2Of ... ctions.pdf

Return to “Pre-Roasted Beans”