hair bender

Discussion of various types and blends of commercially available pre-roasted beans, their best sources, prices, their respective merits, and the Vivaldi settings required to optimism flavor.
michael

hair bender

Post by michael »

does anyone have a recommended temperature for hair bender 8)
jmcphail

Post by jmcphail »

I'd like to know, too, Hairbender is on my list of "must-try" :)
Niko

Post by Niko »

93C.

Drop it to 92C once you get rolling past the 4th shot in a row.
I'd use 94C for your 1st shot in the AM after 2 quick warming flushes, after the the 1st shot take it to 93C.

94C - 1st shot
93C - shots after
92C - Party Mode (many shots in a row)
xxhanxx

Re: hair bender

Post by xxhanxx »

Is it possible to get the stumptown's counter profile w/ a 53mm?

I see alot of the pepople having to dose 18 - 19.5 grams for this coffee. I understand that most use a 58mm portafilter, how about vivaldi's 53mm? Is the shot parameters still the same to get over counter profile? If dosing that much (18 - 19.5g) should I use a triple basket instead?

Thanks!
Endo

Post by Endo »

xxhanxx wrote:I see alot of the pepople having to dose 18 - 19.5 grams for this coffee. I understand that most use a 58mm portafilter, how about vivaldi's 53mm? Is the shot parameters still the same to get over counter profile?
A much debated topic.

Some Vivaldi owners believe a 19g recommendation on a 58mm means 19g on a 53mm (this means the triple since the double is limited to about 17.5g or so).

Personally, I go for somewhwere near the max in the double basket (or about 16.5g) when I see 19g recommended.

I find the Vivaldi naturally tends to mute some flavours, and it gets even worse with the triple (IMO), so I don't really use it much.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

Endo is right. Europeans stick with 14-16g dose for a double and they do understand what perfect espresso is - that is my own extensive experience anyway ;).

Look at this post:
http://www.home-barista.com/tips/two-ty ... 15764.html

A quote: Within the South European style the dose doesn't create a distinctive difference for me. I stay with normal doses (say 6-8 g for a single). Updosing doesn't give me 'better' or 'different' espresso.

Return to “Pre-Roasted Beans”