black cat temp setting help

Discussion of various types and blends of commercially available pre-roasted beans, their best sources, prices, their respective merits, and the Vivaldi settings required to optimism flavor.
BEAN

black cat temp setting help

Post by BEAN »

What temp setting and how many G of coffee have people found make a good shot of black cat? Thanks for the help!
jmcphail

Post by jmcphail »

I've been using 15g at 94C for a double ristretto. Tastes good to me, but then again I'm a noob!
Niko

Post by Niko »

Hey BEAN,
try this thread: wforum/viewtopic.php?p=7071&highlight=#7071

Scroll down towards the bottom for the newer posts since Black Cat's blend formula changed in the last couple of months. The earlier posts are for the older version of the blend.
It's supposedly smoother now according to other sites I've read in the recent past.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I just got the best tasting shot of Black Cat I have yet tasted. I up dosed to 18g & ground fine, 2.9 on the M4, brewing at 92C. The shot dripped big glops of thick, syrupy goodness for the longest time before forming a rich, dark cone that I finally cut off at 35 sec just as it started to break & go blond.

Just as their website describes: hints of fresh cherries with a bakers chocolate finish. Absolutely delicious & probably the best tasting shot I've pulled in the 6 weeks I've owned the V2!
Niko

Post by Niko »

Man, now you have me salivating for a triple.
I've got to try that "new" and improved Black Cat.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Had to go back for another & this time I must have tamped a bit harder as I didn't cut off until around 50 seconds! Makes me wonder about the whole 20-25 sec thing as this one was even sweeter & tastier then the first.

I also should note that both shots were pulled from a batch roasted on 12/17/07 that was just out of the freezer this morning.
Niko

Post by Niko »

The whole 20-25 seconds thing is absurd to me anyway, I don't really time shots anymore...
It flows, it goes, it blondes - I cut it off.

BTW, I just got a Foodsaver last night, John.
Excellent product, I can't wait to use it. :wink:
PBL
Espresso

Blackcat

Post by PBL »

Finally got some Black Cat in Montreal. Very nice, probably the smoothest espesso I have ever had. Expensive locally, but worth it. In the same league quality and flavour-wise as the Bulldog from Toronto.

Pulled double shot at 95c, about 37 seconds with slight overfill on the stock S1 double basket around 17-17.5 grams. Medium brown, mild chocolate overtones, a bit fruity, very low acid and a texture like an aged spanish wine.

Will try the next shot at 92-93c.
Vivaldi S1 and my buddy Rocky
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

95c is pretty hot for Black Cat, 92-93C should give you even nicer flavors.
AlbyAlby

Post by AlbyAlby »

After 2 months of drinking/practicing with 4 month old Lavizza Crema, this morning I finally tasted what a real espresso shot should taste like. I love the taste of Blackcat. I wanted a full cup! :)
zoey

Post by zoey »

I have found that my black cat loves a temperature of about 37.8 C, which is substantially lower than what all of your black cats enjoy. :lol:

I find it strange that all of you work diligently to keep your black cats out of the sun and fresh air. Mine seems to thrive in it.

Unlike the rest of you weirdos, I don't enjoy the taste of my black cat...but to each his own and who am I to judge? I'll just leave the tasting up to either my black cat or one of the other 3 cats, who love to clean each other. Image
Weska

Post by Weska »

How shall we caption that, zoey? Cat on the beach? Cat on a Hot Wood Floor?
zoey

Post by zoey »

I'm working on some latte art, which attempts to convey the visceral emotions evoked from this photo. :lol:

Stay tuned. I've only got 5380 minutes, 27 seconds until I'm finished with finals.
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Thanks for the temp. tips! I just tore into 5lbs. Black Cat this morning!
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

too much coffee results in seeing white mice black cats all around.
PBL
Espresso

Post by PBL »

White mice and black cats are not the only things you start seeing.

Had some black cat again on the weekend. First with the regular double portafilter than with the neked portafilter, then at 95 degrees then at 92 degrees. Was going with the Black Cat head to head with the Barista from William Spartivento. Way too much coffee. My Italian brother in law preferred the Barista to the Black Cat and I found the Black Cat to be a bit more to my tastes.

First a few words on William Spartivento (http://www.williamspartivento.com). They are a small Artisanale roaster with two main blends. Sold over the internet and now appearing at some retailers. They are an old family firm going on the basis of a 'unique continuous movement burner' and the fact that they only sell high quality, organic fair trade arabica coffee. They had an in store stand at a local Costco store with some great prices. The Barista was $14.99 per kilo and the La Crema was $17.99 per kilo. (only temporary to get you hooked, then they up the price). The Internet prices a a fair bit higher than the Costco special. But about half of what I was able to buy the Black Cat locally. On the Internet net they also have a few caf
JohnB

Re:

Post by JohnB »

hlsheppard wrote:Thanks for the temp. tips! I just tore into 5lbs. Black Cat this morning!
What temp are you getting your best flavors at? I just got in a couple pounds Friday but don't seem to be getting the tasty shots I got out of the last batch I bought back in December. I know they've been playing with roast levels & possibly the blend itself so I've been trying different temps. So far 91C, 92C & 93C but nothing impressive yet.
hlsheppard

Re: Re:

Post by hlsheppard »

JohnB wrote:
hlsheppard wrote:Thanks for the temp. tips! I just tore into 5lbs. Black Cat this morning!
What temp are you getting your best flavors at? I just got in a couple pounds Friday but don't seem to be getting the tasty shots I got out of the last batch I bought back in December. I know they've been playing with roast levels & possibly the blend itself so I've been trying different temps. So far 91C, 92C & 93C but nothing impressive yet.
I've pretty much settled on 94C, John. But I have to agree with you.... What happened to the "old" Black Cat I used to love? I ordered 5 lbs. and can't see ordering it again any time soon. I realize that flavor is subjective; but give me Counter Culture Toscano ANY day over this!!
JohnB

Re: Re:

Post by JohnB »

hlsheppard wrote:
I've pretty much settled on 94C, John. But I have to agree with you.... What happened to the "old" Black Cat I used to love? I ordered 5 lbs. and can't see ordering it again any time soon. I realize that flavor is subjective; but give me Counter Culture Toscano ANY day over this!!
I started hearing good things about CC's Toscano a day after I ordered the B/C! I can't believe the B/C has gone to hell so I'll keep trying. Supposedly they are roasting it lighter so a higher temp then used on the old batch would make sense.
michael
God Shot

Re: black cat temp setting help

Post by michael »

i was never a fan of the old black cat, but think the new black cat is super, 15gs at 93 degrees 8)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

michael wrote:i was never a fan of the old black cat, but think the new black cat is super, 15gs at 93 degrees 8)
Just the opposite here, I tried 16g at 91, 92 & 93 & didn't get anything I liked. I got two "decent" shots today using 17-18g at 95C. I'll compare tomorrow at 94C using the higher doses. Intelli recommends 18g doses for the best flavor & that always worked well with the last batch I bought. Supposedly the only difference is the lighter roast.
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

i cant seem to get 17 - 18 gs of coffee into the portafilter; how fine are you grinding; i have a mini mazzer e and grind at around 4 notches to the left of the mark and get great pours 8)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

michael wrote:i cant seem to get 17 - 18 gs of coffee into the portafilter; how fine are you grinding; i have a mini mazzer e and grind at around 4 notches to the left of the mark and get great pours 8)
Hard to compare settings as I use a Macap Stepless but I'm grinding the B/C slightly finer then the La Bella Vita. If you want to stay in the same time frame you have to grind slightly coarser for 18g then 16g. Personally I like a long, slow pour when I use 18g doses as I get the best flavors that way. Anywhere from 35-50 seconds isn't unusual with a large dose.

As far as getting it all in the basket I'm not one for scraping perfectly good coffee off the top just to level the dose. I move it around with my finger to level/fill the edges but I also push it down slightly as I'm doing so. Easier to do then describe but I have no problems getting it all in the basket. You have to back off some on the tamp with that dose or else you will get the dreaded 3 flashing lights.

I just got 2 Finum "in cup" brewing baskets that I want to try out today with some Kenyan beans but I will try the 18g/94C combo first & see how it compares to 95C. With my last batch of B/C (12/07) I was getting rich chocolate/cherry/almond flavors in my Ristretto shots that I haven't found in the new batch.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Ok, tried the 18g/94C & it was a tasty shot but still not nearly as good as what I got out of the older B/C. I'll keep trying. Paid closer attention to getting 18g in the basket this time. Ground 18.3g of beans so I figure I'm pretty close to 18g in the basket. By pushing the grounds around the basket filling in the gaps I got them level with the top with no finger tamp & no waste. After tamping the top of the puck was level with the upper edge of the indentation. Shot lasted 35 sec & was probably less then 1.5 oz.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Maybe they'll take the marketing lead from the big boys eventually and come out with Black Cat Classic! :hello1:
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

chas wrote:Maybe they'll take the marketing lead from the big boys eventually and come out with Black Cat Classic! :hello1:
Right now I'm thinking that might be a very good idea. Tried an 18g/93C shot today & the flavors were way off from the 94/95C shots which still weren't up to expectations.

If anyone is planning on trying the Counter Culture Toscano sign up for their email newsletter first. You will receive a $3 off coupon good on any purchase made within 2 weeks of receipt.
PBL
Espresso

Post by PBL »

It would be nice to try Counter Culture Toscano but the site leaves the folloing map and I can't find Canada on it. Does anybody know how to get Counter Culture coffee in Canada?
AlbyAlby

Post by AlbyAlby »

All the good roasters are in the east coast. I am jealous.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Niko

Post by Niko »

Nice reply, John :wink:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I see that other recent B/C buyers are complaining on Coffeegeek so its obvious that something besides the roast level has changed. It does make a decent Americano so I guess thats how I will use up this latest batch.

Return to “Pre-Roasted Beans”