49th Paralell Epic

Discussion of various types and blends of commercially available pre-roasted beans, their best sources, prices, their respective merits, and the Vivaldi settings required to optimism flavor.
comrade

49th Paralell Epic

Post by comrade »

Good Evening,

Picked up a pound of Epic today. Been using locally roasted beans since buying my machine seeing as though the options in Winnipeg are slim. I can get BC but I want to improve my skills before going for it.

Anyone have experience with this blend recently i.e. vario settings, tamping pressure, grams per double.....

Any input would be great.

Cheers

Rob
Endo

Re: 49th Paralell Epic

Post by Endo »

I've got a bag of Epic in the grinder right now.

It changes often so I usually try a bag every 6 months or so. Still I can't seem to get it right on either my Vivaldi or my Cremina. It always comes out too sour for my taste (and I've tried many temp, dose and pressure combos).

It's definitely not my favourite blend. Though come to think of it, I have had much better shots of Epic on 58mm machines like the Synesso. Perhaps it just needs to be updosed?

Oooooh, that reminds me. I have a triple basket I haven't used in a while. I'll give that a try tomorrow and report. :bounce:
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

I am going through a pack of Epic Espresso now. I believe they have suggestions on dose and temperature on their site - check it out. I am at 17.5g and 94C. My Vario W is set to very fine setting but quoting position will not help as it all depends on the grinder calibration. Let me know what you think about the flavour once you dial it in. It is too fruity for me (cherry and stuff) but no chocolate or nuts.
Endo

Post by Endo »

My attempt this morning was a 19g triple at 95C (close to what they recommend). Much better than my usual 16g double at 93C, and MUCH better tahn on my Cremina (which tends to highlight the fruit even more). As you say, too sour and fruity for my taste. This may be my last bag I buy.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

Same here. I will be in Montreal this weekend and will pick up a pack of Redline Espresso or Black Cat from Cafe in Gamba, will see.
Endo

Post by Endo »

If you like Redline and Black Cat, you may want to try the Toscano as well (assuming they still have some).
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I tried Redline again recently but I find it pretty boring. What's wrong with cherries? Too sour? Let it age longer? Tighter pulls?
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

JohnB wrote:What's wrong with cherries? Too sour? Let it age longer? Tighter pulls?
I will go get me a bag of 49th as soon as possible. Cherries are possibly, the fruit aroma that I like the most in Coffee! Very hard to find!
One man's "sour" is another "bright". Bright and strong acidity coffee are very popular right now but it is not everybody's cup of coffee...
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?

Return to “Pre-Roasted Beans”