Anyone try this bean?

Discussion of the merits of various green beans, where to obtain them, and how best to roast them.
Niko

Anyone try this bean?

Post by Niko »

Has anyone tried Panama Carmen Estate?
I can't make this bean taste good to save my life, maybe it's one of those beans I should just roast up for grinder setting adjustments, seasoning a freshly cleaned machine or just toss in the garden. The snails don't deserve that kind of punishment!
This coffee has been nothing but bad news to me in drip or espresso/blend. I can even pick that sour turd out of a blend even when it's used in very small quantity. It tastes like something that came out of animals rear end but those coffees are actually pretty good.
I'm not looking to bad-mouth this bean but I'm glad I only purchased 5lbs (could've been worse by getting 20lbs!). I really do think it's just a "Niko thing" and it's truly only me, something about it hits the wrong gland or something because everyone else I served it to disagrees.
I'd love to hear what other people think....

:pottytrain5:
bassface
Americano

Post by bassface »

I haven't had any coffee from Panama I liked. Even the Gesha tastes sour to me no matter what roast level. I've been afraid to mention it since everyone seems to revere Gesha.

bob
Niko

Re: Anyone try this bean?

Post by Niko »

Niko wrote:but I'm glad I only purchased 5lbs (could've been worse by getting 20lbs!).
Im' such an idiot. I have 10lbs of this crap!

Wow, I completely forgot about this post, thanks for revamping it, Bob.
When it comes to Panamas (and I've tried them all by now), there's only one that is drinkable for me. It's the Boquete by Maunier Estate.
Niko

Post by Niko »

OK, here it is....after a new roast profile and 3 days of rest.
Finally a drinkable Panama for me!
I'm talking about S.O. espresso here for the challenge.

Ristretto anyone?

And yes, the flavor was to die for!!
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

Just curious on the black background?

I know how I would do it (without actually having a black background).

Nice photo nonetheless.
Niko

Post by Niko »

It's not a photo, believe it or not...it's a video still!
The black background is Photoshop :D
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

OK - that makes sense.

With my Macro lens and a ring flash (or some other good lighting), just setting the aperture to something like f/22 or even higher pretty much makes the entire background black just due to lack of light.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Yeah, that was an awesome shot - not the photo but the espresso shot was unforgettable. I almost didn't live to tell about it! The flavors were so mesmerizing that I almost slipped into another dimension, some would call it a godshot but when you pull something like 20 in a row they're just simply goodshots.

Return to “Green Beans & Their Roasting”