Reg Barber, Espro or Macap table top Tamper for 2008?

All Discussions about 53ish mm tampers for the Vivaldi
Cafesp

Reg Barber, Espro or Macap table top Tamper for 2008?

Post by Cafesp »

Happy New Year to ALL,
After 'Have yourself a little Merry ChristMax", I'm thinking of New Year Celeration!
Which Only one should I Dance with:
-Espro Flat (already had Convex)
-Reg Barber( Flat or Convex) and precisely what size?
-Macap CPS Dynamometric Professional Grade Tamper(table top like Niko)
Thanks for Sharing your thoughts
Nathan
***http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/macap/CPS.htm offers 10% off for NewYear2008
Niko

Post by Niko »

You know I'm gonna' reply to this one, Nathan.
Then again, there 'ain't many posts I don't reply to :D

I've never owned a Reg Barber :oops: so I can't speak for one but I can say a few words about the other two.
I don't think getting a flat Espro is going to change anything for you, I use both flat and convex tampers and find no difference in shot quality.
As for the MACAP autotamper, it was a nice steal on craigslist which I couldn't refuse and then I got a custom piston shaved down to 53.4mm (or something like that) so if fits my Spaz baskets PERFECTLY, in fact the piston gets stuck in an empty basket when activated (if fits that good).
It's definitely a cool tamper but I'm not sure I'd spend full price on it.
The Reg Barber, again, is something I haven't tried so I'd personally go for that one :wink:
Weska

Post by Weska »

Like Niko, I would try something I haven't yet tried. For me that would be a Reg with a C-flat shape. Flat at the center and convex toward the edges.

As a tamping skeptic (that is, I think tamping crushes down the topmost layer of the puck and has little effect on the rest so that tamping styles, pressures, and tools don't matter much to the outcome) I think you could choose something sexy in appearance and therefore likely to impress your visitors or please yourself and do very well with it.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Yeah, I've always had a soft spot for the Skull tamper at EPNW.
Cafesp

Post by Cafesp »

Niko wrote"As for the MACAP autotamper,... I got a custom piston shaved down to 53.4mm (or something like that) so if fits my Spaz baskets PERFECTLY
Weska wrote" Reg with a C-flat shape. Flat at the center and convex toward the edges...sexy in appearance and therefore likely to impress your visitors or please yourself and do very well with it."
Thanks you guys, both sounds so convincing!
More questions for both:
How did you customized Macap( send the big 57 out to shop? where and cost? Niko pls!
Should i send( Which one, single,double or the one came with Naked PF?) to Reg B. and for handle; should be wood? short ?(my hand small)
Sometimes, is it nice to beee RICH!?
Nathan
Weska

Post by Weska »

The tamper handle size, shape and choice of material is all pretty hard to predict for another person. It would be like recommending a shoe for you.

Really, as home baristas we have so little volume of output--Niko excepted--that the considerations that would affect a pro, such as long-term comfort, don't apply to us.

My guess is that most like a wooden handle, but I haven't seen a survey and many other kinds are popular too. Speaking for myself, wood has pleased me. I might try another rubber or anodized handle just for the sake of variety, but I am not unhappy with my Reg. I have the short handle, and that's fine too.

One thing I do find helpful is having a short enough handle that my fingertips will reach down to the top of the piston while the top of the handle is in my palm. (So I wouldn't want a "Radical Pro.") I use my fingers to set the tamper lever into the basket before applying any real pressure with my palm. If you would like to use that technique with hands you describe as small, then you should probably be looking at shorter handles for whatever tamper you choose.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Weska, I concur. Once a tamper has met my functional needs, it almost like furniture. Pleasing the eye is almost as important.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Cafesp

Post by Cafesp »

Almost placing order Rosewood short ball handle with 53.5mm SS C-flat base.
...but COLD FEET...
Just sharing my instant 'thought"
Have a nice weekend.

Nathan
Last edited by Cafesp on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I'd send in a basket for them to custom fit a tamper, Nathan.
You never know, a 53.5mm piston might be a little on the tight side - unless you measured it yourself really well, it's OK.

Don't get cold feet, at least mine never do... :thumbleft:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

There always the added cost if it becomes necessary, but you can send a tamper back to Reg that's too big and he'll shave it down.

There's never a need to worry about too many tampers. Everybody needs a collection. Worst case there's always the Swap Meet area on this forum or eBay.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The wooden tamper I just got from Thor fits nicely in the double basket that came with the machine but sticks in the bottomless p/f basket. Seems like that one is slightly out of round but I think if I remove a little material from the tamper base it should fit both ok.
Cafesp

Post by Cafesp »

Hi JohnB,
The single and double basket came with VII are the same in size but slightly bigger than the double one came with my naked pf.( based on Espro tamper used to measure the diameter!)
I might need a digital caliper!

Cafesp
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The 58mm Bumper Tamper I had left over from my Vetrano wasn't selling on the CG forum so I decided to use it with the S1. Took it over to a friends shop today & had him turn it down so it fits nicely in the slightly smaller basket that came in my bottomless p/f. It actually fits all the baskets now better then the Thor tamper I just got.
Cafesp

Post by Cafesp »

JohnB,
Very good idea. What's size you have it turned to? 53.4 or 53.5?
Thanks
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

53.5mm was still too tight for this basket so we kept skim cutting it down until I got the fit I wanted. The baskets that come with the bottomless p/f have a series of high spots around the upper portion of the basket so a 53.5mm tamper sticks when tamping. I forgot to check the finished size at his shop but when I finally remember where I put my calipers last time I used them I'll measure it. With 3 20'X50' shop buildings filled with tools & such it can take awhile to find something you forgot to put back.
Mizspresso

Have you see these?

Post by Mizspresso »

A woodworker in Southern Ca is experimenting with some really stunning designs. He's only decided to sell one so far. Take a look. Tampers thread
Niko

Post by Niko »

Very nice tampers, they look functional as well. Looks like they work extremely well for those who go straight down and don't tap.
Weska

Post by Weska »

Yes, they look great and should serve certain tamping styles pretty well. But I would need to hear from some people that have used them before buying one. I have the same feeling about Reg Barber radical pros, which seem to require a certain less common way of gripping the handle.

Until I see some pictures or descriptions of how to use them, I'll stick with the symmetrical ones. There is always the call of something a little different, however.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Back to that MACAP table-top tamper...
someone on H-B posted a link to a pic showing that autotamper with an LCD screen on the back to view video of the coffee being tamped.
Nice.
Cafesp

Post by Cafesp »

Wiseman said " Xtra table-top tamper can wait, fresh beans can not" :o
After a month of giving myself a $pending $pree; I gotta to stop buying but READING only :roll:
Hottop or Behmor :roll: (To be or notto be)
Niko

Post by Niko »

H O T
T O P
Cafesp

Post by Cafesp »

I'm close to the TOP but not HOT enough! :oops:
Niko

Post by Niko »

If it's your first roaster, the Behmor is an excellent roaster. You can always get a HotTop later on when you crave more control.
I'm rather enjoying the Behmor today since I roasted about 3lbs in a row :wink:

...now it's time to crank up the HotTop for some espresso roastin' :P

Return to “Tampers”