Espro 53 convex neddle point at center! Is it nomal?

All Discussions about 53ish mm tampers for the Vivaldi
Cafesp

Espro 53 convex neddle point at center! Is it nomal?

Post by Cafesp »

Hello ALL,
I've just got 53 Espro CONVEX tamper. Feel good in your hand; i really like the look and its weight. It has American curve. But you can feel and even see the sharp neddle point at the base center! Could be a chance for channeling?
Is it the way it should be?
If not, should i sand it off?
I'm newbie; this is my only and first tamper.
Thanks for all your replies
Nathan
Last edited by Cafesp on Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Can you please post a picture?
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

Well, a couple of things:

1. If it is fairly small, my guess is that it wont hurt much. There is no water that comes in the center for at least the diameter of the screw that holds the shower head in place, so I think we are talking minimal if any influence. But that is just a theory.

2. If it bothers you, I would contact the seller, and just ask for another one. My guess is that it was a leftover from the machining process, and should not have made it out of QC. All tampers that I have seen are absolutely smooth.
Cafesp

Post by Cafesp »

Coffeowl,
Sorry, couldn't find my camera yet!
Just learn you have Estro tampers, both Flat and Convex. How's your convex base feel like? SMOOTH???
How the differences in espresso it came out and which one you prefer?
Thanks for sharing
Cafesp
krus

Post by krus »

That is so bizarre. I didn't like my convex Espro because it had a bit of a flat spot in the center. Maybe they were aware that the middle was too pointy and started machining them with a slightly flat center. I got mine around a year ago. When did you get yours?
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

I posted on HB a question about the curvature of the convex Espro and also tried to squeeze out some info on it here.
I bought the flat to use for singles.
Cafesp

Post by Cafesp »

I got mine on Dec. 14, 2007. Its base shape most slightly curved like the picture Coffeeowl posted;with 16mm center kind of flat!
Glad Coffeeowl has the answer from Espro.
Haven't set up VII and grinder; besides this is my only one tamper so can't say anything about it!
Cafesp

Return to “Tampers”