Are Espro tampers accurate?

All Discussions about 53ish mm tampers for the Vivaldi
Roger

Are Espro tampers accurate?

Post by Roger »

I have discovered that my Espro is tamping 2 lbs. light (28 lbs.) I am curious if anyone else has ever checked theirs for accuracy and how much it might matter. For the price I thought it would be right on. Mary at Chris
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I don't really think that you can expect much more than what you are getting. The "error" is only 6.67%. I think that the value of an Espro is the consistency that you get with it.

I've used mine since April and love it. Feels good, tamps consistently and looks nice.

Do you really think that it matters if you tamp at 28 or 30?

Focus on the quality of your shots and not the precision of the tamper at this level.

Mark
Richard

Re: Are Espro tampers accurate?

Post by Richard »

Repeatability and consistency are important factors, but a greater level of absolute precision than that is quite irrelevant.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I've never checked mine but I can tell you this, my MACAP autotamper stomps the grinds at the same exact level as my Espro...as far as I can tell at least since the shots are IDENTICAL. I'm talking about the big table-top bad boy MACAP with the lever you pull down, not the hand held model. From what I recall, the MACAPs are calibrated to smack down at 32lbs so maybe there is a variance between the Epros and mine happens to be the same as the MACAP...?
Damn, no bathroom scale in my house...I'll have to take the Espro to Mom's house. She'll think I've really lost it now, thanks to you guys! :lol:
Roger

Post by Roger »

To tell the truth I had no idea if it matters if you tamp at 28 or 30. From what I can tell it doesn
Niko

Post by Niko »

As long as it's the same every time, their reputation is untarnished. I wonder if it loses calibration over time? If so, then I should measure mine since it has at least 1,500 tamps on it, the other 10,000 tamps are shared by my other tampers scattered about :D
I don't think the big table top versions lose their calibration since they don't work by spring pistons, it doesn't feel "springy" like the Espro.
Mr.Ken

Post by Mr.Ken »

I checked mine twice yielding 30.3 and 29.9 on a digital scale. That's got to be closer than what passes for tamping technique at the local shops.

The hand of the operator is the weak link at my house. It's certainly not the Espro.

Return to “Tampers”