Reg barber tamper

All Discussions about 53ish mm tampers for the Vivaldi
PatRi

Reg barber tamper

Post by PatRi »

Hi all,
I am very happy new owner of a S1. It has been wounderful so far.

I tried to to find in the forums more info on the ideal size tamper to order from reg barber. I may have missed it :oops: .
Has someone ordered a 53.5 mm and how does it fit? should we buy slightly bigger or smaller.

I took the Thor when I bought the S1 and not overly in love with it. Maybe I had my reg barber to long before that so it is resistance to change.
The tamping is not so bad with the thor but the polishing is not good compare to my previous reg barber.

thks, pat
padillatim

Post by padillatim »

Welcome!

I have a flat and a convex base of 53.5 each. They work well. You might be able to squeeze another .1 or .2 mm. The triple basket that i have is a tighter fit though... Tell Reg I said hi :)
PatRi

Post by PatRi »

Thanks, so with the 53.5mm not to much coffee between the tamper and the side of the basket forcing to retamp? and not too tight such that the polishing does not turn well?

THKS, Pat
padillatim

Post by padillatim »

After dose & distribution, I do a light tamp, then flip the basket to clear the sides (no tap), then do a full tamp & polish. I think there will always be a little coffee that creeps between the tamper basket wall, which is why tapping has been so popular. There is room for a smooth polish with the 53.5.

TP
coffeejn

Post by coffeejn »

I got the 53.5mm tamper from RegBarber but it won't fit the double basket!!! It fits perfectly the single basket though, so not a total lost. Any one know what size I should get for the double basket?

Thanks
padillatim

Post by padillatim »

I have two doubles and one triple basket (the triple is the lino'd double) and my Reg 53.5 fits all three. I double checked the single basket and the 53.5 fits it also. It may be a new style basket that is a bit smaller? Or possibly it is a manufacturing defect...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

lino mentioned that between the time he made the first set of triple baskets and the second set that he got a different style basket from Chris. The first set had very vertical sides and the second set curved inward toward the bottom.

I'm guessing your double is one of these alternate basket styles.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
coffeejn

Post by coffeejn »

Ok so 2 choices, order another tamper, or find an older model of the double basket.....
Cheaper of the two would be a basket, any know of a location I can get one?
Or the size of the new basket....
The worst part is I have two new model of the double basket :?
padillatim

Post by padillatim »

Reg can reduce the size of the tamper base, which might be the best option (maybe you can send him a basket with the base?).

Can you post a picture of the issue? If the new baskets are thinner, before too long many of us will be having the same issue ;)

Thx
coffeejn

Post by coffeejn »

This is what I have observed from both....
The single does not fit confortably in the bouble basket, however, the double basket fits perfectly, so width size on the single is wider. So in theory, the newer basket don't allow as much coffee, in THEORY.....

I'll see about getting some pic out.

I think I'll send one to RegBarber and order a tamper as well as ask the exact dimension he is sending me. It's just a hunch, but I think the new baskets are exactly 53mm.
coffeejn

Post by coffeejn »

OK sent a basket to RegBarber and asked him the exact size, so some time in 2 weeks I'll know and post it here.

8)
zak42

Post by zak42 »

coffeejn wrote:OK sent a basket to RegBarber and asked him the exact size, so some time in 2 weeks I'll know and post it here.

8)
Any news on this ? my S1 turned up yesterday (wooHooo!), but the 53mm reg barber i have is too tight on the double basket, the 53mm espro is better, but still a little too tight for me.

Tx
Simon
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

I'm with you, Simon. My new S1 wouldn't fit a 53.5 mm very well.

The 53mm Espro is just about perfect!

Les at Thor doesn't seem to think that Chris would change his basket style but I beg to differ... :wink:

Either way, he's making my Thor tamper a 53 even!
coffeejn

Post by coffeejn »

Still no tamper.... I did send an e-mail to Reg, and he did receive the basket, he told me he would be making it this week. I've been out all week and will be most of next week but I'll let you know the dimensions if Reg passes them to me like I requested...

My only disapointment with the S1 is the price, every thing else is good! But then in about a month or so, I won't care any more....
coffeejn

Post by coffeejn »

Got the tamper today, apparantly it's a 52.5 mm tamper...... this is for the double basket.

Later.

Return to “Tampers”