Mini-E Grinder Problems

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
mdreuben

Mini-E Grinder Problems

Post by mdreuben »

I replaced the burrs on my Mini-E a month or so ago, and now am having trouble getting a correct grind.

If I tighten the grinder down to the point where I get a good :25 shot it takes nearly a minute to get enough coffee out out to fill the portafilter. This seems to be almost at the point where the burrs are touching. Then it takes hardly any turn at all (less than 3/8" of turn) to make the grind a little coarser. At that point the Vivaldi squirts the coffee through in about 7 seconds. Pressure on both indicators in the Vivaldi (V2) is in the green.

I can't really even get the grind fine enough to choke the Vivaldi.

I replaced the burrs with another set (both clearly marked for the Mini-E and purchased from Chris) and have the same problem. I've flipped the burrs, rotated the burrs, sang songs to them...nothing helps. The adjustment collar is going on smoothly - nothing is cross threaded.

Is there something I'm missing with the re-assembly? I've followed most of the documents on the web, especially from Home Barista, but can't determine what the problem is.

Help....please....help.....
JohnB

Re: Mini-E Grinder Problems

Post by JohnB »

My first suggestion would be to call the service dept at CC & run the problem by them. Did you compare the old & new burrs to see if there was any difference? Have you tried zeroing the burrs? How far off of your setting with the old burrs are you grinding now?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Mini-E Grinder Problems

Post by chas »

I replaced my burr set a few months back. On my first attempt I had the grind set way too fine and what it did was clog and choke the grinder. I had to get that clog cleared out before I could get a good grind going.

Have you double checked that all the screws on the burrs are seated and tightened correctly?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

Return to “Coffee Grinders”