Stealth mode Rocky

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
CLB

Stealth mode Rocky

Post by CLB »

Given those large flat sheet metal and cast surfaces, I figured Rocky could benefit from a little Dynamat.

Exhibit A:
The cast front plate is pretty easy to treat.

Exhibit B:
The sheet metal takes a bit more work but Dynamat can be massaged between the inner and outer structure on all three sides. I added material to the top tabs after taking this photo.
I also ran a strip around the inside of the "scale" surface at the bottom of the hopper.

The result?
It is much quieter but certainly not silent. The harsh high pitched components are pretty well damped out. I didn't take measurements but would guess 8~10 dB overall. I would do it again knowing the results.
The finished setup still looks the same as my entry in the pride page.

The retailer asked what the Dynamat was going into, no doubt deciding what other products to pitch for my project. When I told him it was going into my coffee grinder he asked if I was messing with him. I told him "Yes, but the Dynamat is going into my coffee grinder".
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Nice work! Never heard the Rocky but I take it that its pretty loud?? My KA Pro is on the loud side but the Macap is fairly quiet. My only concern with the insulation would be heat retention but that would only be an issue if you were grinding large amounts at one time.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Nice work! Never heard the Rocky but I take it that its pretty loud?? My KA Pro is on the loud side but the Macap is fairly quiet. My only concern with the insulation would be heat retention but that would only be an issue if you were grinding large amounts at one time.

Return to “Coffee Grinders”