Bunn G3 for espresso?

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
Ristretto

Bunn G3 for espresso?

Post by Ristretto »

Hello all!

From reading the topics here, I sure hope I found the right forum!

Short background - I love espresso and the process. I take pride in doing this as cheap as possible, with the best quality I can manage.
Roaster: 1040w popcorn popper
Grinder: Breville Smart Pro (now toasted gears)
Espresso machine: several starbucks Baristas (reconditioned)
8' x 18" stainless counter
Aeropress

My current grinder imploded recently (Breville Smart Pro). I can have it repaired for $80, but still plastic gears.
I located a Bunn G3 grinder (reconditioned) for less than $200.00

Can anyone here tell me if the G3 can match or outperform the Breville for espresso? I have researched as much as possible and have read that the major issue for espresso grind is lack of fine adjustment. I'm just not sure it will do a real espresso level grind. Long ago, I tried a $100 cuisenart which would not grind fine enough to do an espresso - think salt grain size.
If the only issue with the G3 is grind selection, I have read others taking out the selector position detent to create stepless settings. I can also buy a Ditting burr set if I need finer/turkish setting.

So, please tell me your opinions! Keep in mind I won't be buying a nice $$$$ italian grinder. That would be too easy.
I just need to know:
1. Will the G3 grind fine enough to match the quality I got from the Breville?
2. Will I need to upgrade to the Ditting burrset to get espresso grind?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, as long as your thoughts aren't "just throw lots of money at it!"

Return to “Coffee Grinders”