Pharos

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
Endo

Pharos

Post by Endo »

Since some of you have been discussing the Pharos lately, I thought I'd show a picture of mine next to my Vario and Vivaldi for some perspective.

It's a really fun toy ! The 68mm conical burrs deliver an excellent and consistant grind. The best way to describe the difference in taste is that the shots have more "mouthfeel" . The flavours seem fuller when compared to my Vario. It's most noticeable on my lever machine, but there is a good difference on the Vivaldi as well. It's not enough difference for me to shell out $1500 for the K10 (yet :smile: ), but definitely worth the $245 I spent (which is basically the price of the Vivaldi timer!)

The Pharos pairs very well with my Cremina (which is how it was intended). But there is no doubt it is a pain in the a%$ to use compared to the Vario. In fact, I'd consider this grinder the "anti-Vivaldi". :lol: Getting the grounds out of this thing or adjusting the fineness is about as inconvenient as you can imagine.

If someone could figure out a way to dose directly into the PF, this thing would be awesome. Maybe I'll try mounting it on top of a chopped Mazzer doser. :lol:
Pharos and Vario
Pharos and Vario
2012-03-09 007 (400x256).jpg (99.2 KiB) Viewed 58461 times
zedex
God Shot

Re: Pharos

Post by zedex »

Send it to me Endo. I will build something to make it work.
Endo

Post by Endo »

zedex wrote:Send it to me Endo. I will build something to make it work.
Seriously, if someone could mount a doser vane on the shaft just above the lower bearing, it could push the grounds that fell to the bottom out a enlarged hole, and we could be rid of the static filled funnel and all that silly "grinder spanking".
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

How does it work. I cant tell by the picture nor pictures on the net. I have a rather large machine/fabrication shop and could probably figure something out. My sister is looking for a grinder for her new silvia(my old silvia):) She does not want to plunk down 500 on a vario and if this is a viable option ,could buy one of those, mod it and bobs your uncle. The grinder looks cool,industrial looking.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Then attach a power drill to the top shaft to replace the hand crank and it's almost there! :lol:
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

chas wrote:Then attach a power drill to the top shaft to replace the hand crank and it's almost there! :lol:
Before I bought the Pharos, I too thought the hand grinding would be the worst part. In fact, the hand grinding action is incredibly smooth and totally quiet. I actually look forward to turning the handle and have no desire to motorized it. What I don't like is all the "whacking and spanking" required to get the grounds out (they actually recommend a rubber mallet.....seriously!).

The design is great (as is the taste), but has a few fundamental flaws that must be fixed (IMO):

The first is the grinds adjustment method. It used to be simply a single nut which raised or lowered the center burr. Obviously, it needs a jam nut to hold the lower nut position. After grinder 50 or so, they realized this and made the change by adding a second nut.

The second problem is there is no reference for grind position. I see some people have started adding a grid template on top of the grinder to help. Obviously again, this should be etched into the top cover, and 2" indicator/adjustor rods should be attached to BOTH nuts

The third problem I have not heard discussed yet. They are using a coarse thread pitch for some odd reason. They should be using a finer pitch to make adjustments more precise. A simple and obvious change again.

These problems are all minor compared to the chute design problem IMO. This inner chute/hopper below the burr does not allow the grinds to fall freely. Instead, they all get stuck to the sides due to static and you must beat the grinder like an old rug to get anything out. When it does come out, it goes everywhere. You need to put a #4 coffee filter on your counter to catch 80% of the flying grinds, and you still end up sweeping. This totally unacceptable IMO.

I would recommend removing the chute all together, and attaching a simple plastic vaned sweeper to the shaft inside the PVC tube (the sweeper center would also cover and protect the lower bearing from grounds, prolonging its life as well). The sweeper vane would be free to move up the shaft, but pressed down ightly with a simple loose spring around the shaft. Torque from the shaft would be transmitted to the sweeper by a square adapter on the shaft which is held in place with a screw (possibly on a local shaft flat, if required). This sweeper could easily be added to the design with only a very minor increase in manufacturing cost.

The only thing left would be to size the hole in the bottom plate to allow the grounds to drop, and slightly longer legs to fit a basket under the hole. And Voila! It would work exactly like a regular Mazzer doser, except powered by its own grinder action.

If I can find something that would simulate the sweeper vane, I'll try modding my grinder.
Pharos Sweeper Mod
Pharos Sweeper Mod
001 (605x640).jpg (31.32 KiB) Viewed 58404 times
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

Endo, do you read in french ? There's a nice paper in La Presse this morning about three crazy guys like us. One of these guys invented his own manual grinder. Once it will be on the market, it could be a Pharos killer... I was so happy when I saw this paper this morning. I could show to my wife there were craziest guys than me.
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Sounds like too many flaws to mod. Better starting off with a better manual with decent burs and modding that.
oton

Post by oton »

This what you have to do to pull a shot with the pharos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6s6RwGhvpg

:shock: I'm pretty sure If I had to do that everytime I want an espresso, I'd not drink espresso. Man, what tiredness. :sad6:
Last edited by oton on Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Are you frickin' kidding me????? I would rather use a lemon zester and do each bean individually.
oton

Post by oton »

zedex wrote:Are you frickin' kidding me????? I would rather use a lemon zester and do each bean individually.
:lol: :lol:

Another video. This with the rubber hammer technique. :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nB-qSByDJY
Endo

Post by Endo »

I agree it's pretty bad. Like I said, definitely not a grinder for the Vivaldi crowd, but a good match for a lever machine.

Also, for $245, it's a good way to see if it's worth spending $1500 for a K10.
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

LOL....wow. I am truly stunned.
Was that Annie Lenox at the end of the vid, long lost song that brings back memories.

On second thought Endo. Don't send me that thing. I swear i will put it in my 80 ton press and squish that thing flat. $1500 for a k10 sounds like a smokin deal. :grin:
Louis

Post by Louis »

Abnuceals wrote:Endo, do you read in french ? There's a nice paper in La Presse this morning about three crazy guys like us. One of these guys invented his own manual grinder. Once it will be on the market, it could be a Pharos killer... I was so happy when I saw this paper this morning. I could show to my wife there were craziest guys than me.
Quite nice!
Endo

Post by Endo »

I don't get the paper version of LaPresse. Is it online somewhere that I can link to?
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

http://montoit.cyberpresse.ca/201203/08 ... de-4-box-0

Look at picture number 5

Very beautiful grinder.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

"Like I said, definitely not a grinder for the Vivaldi crowd,"

I agree. First off, aesthetically Vario and Vivaldy match very well, look at the Vario site and you see the first picture there is a Vario with Vivaldi beside it. Then from functional perspective, they are also made for each other. The Vario-W auto-weight feature (or the Vario timer) combined with the Vivaldi programmable pour auto-dosing (and in my case the Espro calibrated tamping) provide consistency with next to no effort.

I have been looking at Pharos for a while but have been hesitant. Though that beautiful French grinder design could change things :grin:
jbb
God Shot

Post by jbb »

Abnuceals wrote:http://montoit.cyberpresse.ca/201203/08 ... de-4-box-0

Look at picture number 5

Very beautiful grinder.
That little grinder does look cool. But could not help notice that the last picture was of a Vario, and, if my French holds up, the caption is "ground to perfection".

Endo, would your chute mod on the Pharos solve the static problem? If that's arising from the grinding action per se an easier drop might not make much difference.

With the vario its funny, a few coffees have major static problems. Like Vivace for instance.
Endo

Post by Endo »

That's a fun article to read. These guys are maniacs, but not much different than us.

Here's about half of my bag collection:
Bags
Bags
2012-03-11 003 (400x264).jpg (40.51 KiB) Viewed 58272 times
Endo

Post by Endo »

jbb wrote:
Endo, would your chute mod on the Pharos solve the static problem? If that's arising from the grinding action per se an easier drop might not make much difference.
I'm sure the plastic sweeeper would have static issues as well, but just like a doser, the mechanical method of dislodging the grounds (while grinding) and pushing them to the edge and out the hole would work much better than having to "whack".

What would be totally awesome looking would be to make replace the ugly PCD lower tube with a clear plastic version. This way you could see the stuck grounds and watch the sweeper push them out. This would make this grinder a true work of art.
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

if my French holds up, the caption is "ground to perfection"

jbb, Your understanding of french language is probably better than the journalist's judgement. :lol:
Sincerely, Vario is not a bad grinder but it is far away from perfection in my mind.
Mass media are talking more and more about coffee aficionados and sometimes one can see that journalists don't know much more than peoples for whom they are writing. But if I remember well... thrity years ago wine lovers were the extraterrestrial in a beer world.
jbb
God Shot

Post by jbb »

Abnuceals wrote:
Sincerely, Vario is not a bad grinder but it is far away from perfection in my mind.
Agreed. Vario definitely has things in its favor, but I don't want to sound like a fan boy. As evidence....when we redid the coffee bar, I made sure to leave generous clearance under the cabinetry. :drunken:
Attachments
DSCF1774.jpg
DSCF1774.jpg (85.75 KiB) Viewed 58255 times
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

Definitely no problem here with the Vario.

But not exactly the same thing with Mr Compak...
Attachments
compak.jpg
compak.jpg (4.66 KiB) Viewed 58252 times
Vario.jpg
Vario.jpg (5.58 KiB) Viewed 58252 times
Louis

Post by Louis »

Abnuceals wrote:
if my French holds up, the caption is "ground to perfection"

jbb, Your understanding of french language is probably better than the journalist's judgement. :lol:
Mass media are talking more and more about coffee aficionados and sometimes one can see that journalists don't know much more than peoples for whom they are writing. But if I remember well... thrity years ago wine lovers were the extraterrestrial in a beer world.
Things need to be put in perspective (the readership perspective): a Vario maybe far from perfect compared to a Robur/Pharos/M3 (and the reverse would be also true for different reasons...), but compared to a Braun blade grinder, the Vario is pure perfection.

PS. Yes, I do own a Braun blade grinder. But be reassured: its cumin smell, from 10 years of use for this, is too strong for it to be used for coffee... ;-)
Louis

Post by Louis »

Endo wrote:That's a fun article to read. These guys are maniacs, but not much different than us.

Here's about half of my bag collection:
If my coffee bags have started to look like this, does it mean my mania is getting worse!?...
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (101.65 KiB) Viewed 58194 times
Endo

Post by Endo »

Louis wrote: If my coffee bags have started to look like this, does it mean my mania is getting worse!?...
Looks like a drug bust. :lol:
Last edited by Endo on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louis

Re: Pharos (off-topic sub-thread on greens)

Post by Louis »

Deleted. Was offtopic; see new thread by Endo: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1711&p=19846
Last edited by Louis on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Abnuceals wrote:http://montoit.cyberpresse.ca/201203/08 ... de-4-box-0

Look at picture number 5

Very beautiful grinder.
Very nice looking grinder but I like this photo even more! http://montoit.cyberpresse.ca/201203/08 ... de-3-box-0 :lol:

Where is that grinder being produced? Pricing?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

zedex wrote:On second thought Endo. Don't send me that thing. I swear i will put it in my 80 ton press and squish that thing flat. $1500 for a k10 sounds like a smokin deal. :grin:
I've never appreciated the K10 more then the morning after I sent Pharos #21 back to OE. They (OE) or should I say, the Pharos owners, have fixed many of the issues since then but as the current thread on H-B shows even loyal owners are getting tired of spanking their Pharos.
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

Very nice looking grinder but I like this photo even more! http://montoit.cyberpresse.ca/201203/08 ... de-3-box-0
It's not a great picture but I agree it is a great espresso machine that I'd like to have. JohnB, do you still have yours since you now play with the Strega (a machine that I'm planning to buy) ?

And about the grinder, it is not yet in production. I will keep an eye on that if there is more details in the future.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Abnuceals wrote:It's not a great picture but I agree it is a great espresso machine that I'd like to have. JohnB, do you still have yours since you now play with the Strega (a machine that I'm planning to buy) ?
The Speedster is my "leave it in the will" machine. I turn it on every morning & it stays on until evening. The Strega gets turned on 3-4 days a week for a couple hours at a time. The tank or TOP version of the Strega which uses a vibe pump & 11bar "pre infusion" is a very nice machine & I'm sure you'd enjoy using it if that is the version you are thinking of buying.
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

Yes indeed, it will be the tank version. In fact, I never saw the TOP version in Canada. Maybe it was exclusive to 1st in line... By the way, they sold their last Strega one week ago and they will be out of stock for a few months. That will be good for IDrinkCoffee. My only problem now, I don't have enough room in the kitchen for the Mini, the Vario, the Compak K8 and the Strega. And there is no question that I get rid of the Mini. I'll be the man of two espresso machines.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I believe the TOP version has replaced the Tank version so that will most likely be what you get. I know one H-B member recently ordered the TOP version through your Canadian dealer. The TOP version is the Tank version I have with the additional plumbing & parts to plumb it in if you chose but it will still feed the vibe pump.
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

So, that's great news. Best of both world for the same price.
I heard that some peoples complained about the pump's noise. But from what I understood, the one you have is realy quiet. Do you think it is a matter of personal perception or an issue with the machine's production ?
expy98

Post by expy98 »

still spanking away and like it :-)
twin Pharoses.jpg
twin Pharoses.jpg (48.42 KiB) Viewed 58062 times
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Abnuceals wrote:I heard that some peoples complained about the pump's noise. But from what I understood, the one you have is realy quiet. Do you think it is a matter of personal perception or an issue with the machine's production ?
The leverheads don't want to hear any pump noise. Mine has gotten a little louder with use but it's just typical vibe pump noise & it's only on for the first 10-12 seconds of each shot.
Endo

Post by Endo »

expy98 wrote:still spanking away and like it :-)
Two Pharos...oooooooh. :shock: Can you whack them together to loosen the grinds. :lol:
expy98

Post by expy98 »

it wouldn't be spanking with only 1... well that's OT :-)

This morning, it seemed like every last .1g came out w/out any spanking at all, zero static cling.
But every once in a while, like rain in Socal, the static cling is pretty annoying and I get a large
crop circle on the counter as well as all over the bottom plate.

If that was the norm for me, I may have a different opinion. On days that static cling is worse,
I put a piece of paper on the counter under the scale to collect the crop circle of grind and pour it back on the
basket. Not the most elegant solution but simple and clean.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Nothing comes out of my grinder at all until I give it a few whacks. Hopefully it will improve with time.

I have tried dumping the grinds in different ways but I still haven't found anything I like. They all seem to make a mess or involve several container transfers. The last one I did was to shake into my open Mazzer doser. Worked with the least mess so far, but I risk chipping my Mazzer swinging that Pharos around.
expy98

Post by expy98 »

discovered something this past weekend... I've read that static is likely caused by temp/humidity...

used up a jar of brazil, zero static and everything fell out w/out any spanking. Then
opened up a jar of Bali which was roasted a bit darker but still not to 2nd crack (showing some oil after a couple of weeks)
and the crop circle came back. It seemed like every time I've used the Bali beans, I get a lot of static.

The only differences that I can tell between the 2 beans:

Brazil - some yellow chaff between bean crease, no sign of oil, denser, 14g dose at same grind setting
Bali - slightly darker roast, no yellow between crease, some oil, 17g dose at same grind setting (highest dose yet,
everything else I've tried, about a dozen different SO, fall between 14-16g at the same grind setting)

I'm wondering whether:
denser beans = less static
less dense beans = more static
Last edited by expy98 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endo

Post by Endo »

I'm convinced the Pharos is part "Van de Graff" generator. No blend of any kind comes out of mine, unless I beat it like I was the grinder riot police.
expy98

Post by expy98 »

that would be annoying for sure, have you tried dumping on a sheet of paper?
Endo

Post by Endo »

expy98 wrote:have you tried dumping on a sheet of paper?
This would be something I would do for a puppy, not part of espresso prep.

Seriously though, I tried it once and lots went off the edges of the paper. I think I may have more luck grinding into something bowl shaped (like a big coffee filter), but this is a pretty ugly setup IMO.

I still think the closed hopper on the Pharos is just a bad idea. What we need is some way to view the trapped grounds and mechanically move them out. I still think my doser idea holds some merit.
expy98

Post by expy98 »

bowl or paper...

in my SJ days, I used a ramakin, then spoon the grind onto the basket.

The paper is actually more elegant, you just fold up the paper and pour.

neither are sexy but...
scareyourpassenger

Post by scareyourpassenger »

FYI, Peeps on HB are indicating that coating the funnel with food grade silicone, letting it dry and wiping it off reduces the amount of whacking that it requires to remove the grounds. I just got mine yesterday and ordered some from Amazon to give it a try.
Endo

Post by Endo »

After fighting my Vario all night, I have new found respect for the Pharos. If only I could make grounds removal easier, I'd be totally happy. Silicone spray doesn't seem like a good answer. Time to think about the sweeper mod again.
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Endo.. Does your pharos have the funnel? I was looking inline and service bulletin 3-617 :grin: ,there is a funnel that goes inside the bottom portion that funnels the grounds. This should at least work allot better.
I didn't realize that the pharos is just one guy making these things in his shop 1 by 1, plus his wife DEB who's drill he uses. He just orders the stuff per his spec and assembles.
The funnel should work though other than the grounds that will collect around the center of the burr shaft.
Endo

Pharos

Post by Endo »

Mine is the new Pharos with the new funnel and the double lock nut.

The problem with the funnel is that the grounds don't slide down as intended. In fact, when you open the rubber stopper to let the grounds out, nothing comes out as all. You need to shake the heck out of it and then most of the grounds will fall out. The wild shaking causes the grounds to fly everywhere so it's best to cover the exit hole with a small cup to catch everything. This still leaves about 1 g of retained coffee that you need to whack out by smacking the grinder down hard on a solid table, or you can hit the grinder with a rubber mallet.

Just plain silly in my opinion.

I really feel the funnel needs to go, and a mechanical sweeper needs to be added that is driven by the grinding motion (like a doser).
scareyourpassenger

Endo wrote:Mine is the new Pharos with the new funnel and the double lock nut.

The problem with the funnel is that the grounds don't slide down as intended. In fact, when you open the rubber stopper to let the grounds out, nothing comes out as all. You need to shake the heck out of it and then most of the grounds will fall out. The wild shaking causes the grounds to fly everywhere so it's best to cover the exit hole with a small cup to catch everything. This still leaves about 1 g of retained coffee that you need to whack out by smacking the grinder down hard on a solid table, or you can hit the grinder with a rubber mallet.

Just plain silly in my opinion.

I really feel the funnel needs to go, and a mechanical sweeper needs to be added that is driven by the grinding motion (like a doser).
After looking at it, it was very easy to understand why it won't come out.

1. We are trying to get it all out at once and the opening it too small to allow that. Try tipping upside down and then pouring again focusing on incremental dumps of grounds.
2. The walls allow the grounds to stick causing it to block the flow. Silicone spray fixes this and this is the only part I have an issue with.

the dozer sounds great but adds more complexity and costs. I bet it would be closer to $350 with that mod.
expy98

Post by expy98 »

after grinding, try bumping the grinder on the grind pad (so that the feet don't go thru the holes) a few times,
that will get most of the grind to the bottom. I remove the stopper w/ the grinder sideway, then rotate grinder
back upright directly over the basket (on a scale). If it's Brazil or Ethiopia or a typical espresso blend, practically all of the
grind will come out easily w/out any static for me.

2 friends bought Pharos after seeing mine in action. First one brought it over and I set it at 1/2 a turn
from zero and he's been happy as a clam since. The other one got it last week and he still couldn't get it to work for him
after a week despite many long phone conversations. Not sure why but I've offered that he brings it over, if it doesn't work
after setting it at 1/2 turn, he can take mine home. We have the same machine, same grinder...
Endo

Post by Endo »

scareyourpassenger wrote:
the dozer sounds great but adds more complexity and costs. I bet it would be closer to $350 with that mod.
Why wold it be any more expensive? The doser style sweeper would be simply a single molded plastic part and would simply replace the existing hopper at roughly the same cost.
scareyourpassenger

Endo wrote:
scareyourpassenger wrote:
Why wold it be any more expensive? The doser style sweeper would be simply a single molded plastic part and would simply replace the existing hopper at roughly the same cost.
I was thinking there would be a ratcheting mechanism, lever for the dozer, the wheel, seals to make sure it swept evenly, a spring and making the lower cylinder out of clear acrylic.

I may have missed your idea completely but for it to be a fully functional dozer it seems like it adds a good bit of complexity to the simple design.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Perhaps it would be better to refer to it as a "sweeper". It moves the grounds out mechanically by the motion of the handle as it turns. No need for dosing since the hopper is too small and the beans are already weighed for single dose before grinding.

All that would be needed is the plastic sweeper and a spring to keep it loaded downward. The shaft might need a flat as well to transmit torque to the sweeper.

The outer barrel which is PVC could be easily made of clear acrylic (like the hopper), so you can see if everything is properly swept out. The whole in the bottom would need to be reshaped to something like the shape of the hole on the mazzer dozer.
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Just fashion yourself an auger out of cardboard attached to the shaft. Make it the shape of the funnel. As you crank and grind the auger spits it out the hole.

Oh hell wait. That wont work, the funnel is offset. Send it to me and i will modify it in my 80 ton press. :grin:
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

I notice that there is a cheezy ring and cover that sits on top of the pharos. The ring must be a bean enclosure for pouring but that cover? Is it needed?
Endo

Post by Endo »

The solid ring is helpful to get the beans in the little hopper. (I remove it when grinding).

The little rubber flap stops the beans from popcorning out during grinding (it's needed).
expy98

Post by expy98 »

I never use the ring. The flap is nec and I just flip one side up and pour the beans in from a basket. Never lose a bean...
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Thanks. I know how i am going to mod that grinder. I just dont know whether i want to spend $250 on it. I need to find a used one.
Ohhhh. Endo?. You have a used one that your sick of, am i right? :)
expy98

Post by expy98 »

hmmm... not sure if you've seen Voodoodaddy's mods on the Pharos on HB. His mods address pretty
much all the common complaints w/ the Pharos. I am fine w/ the Pharos as is but those mods certainly look great.
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Got a link?
Endo

Post by Endo »

expy98 wrote:hmmm... not sure if you've seen Voodoodaddy's mods on the Pharos on HB. His mods address pretty
much all the common complaints w/ the Pharos.
I don't get it. Is he selling a kit?

If I had his machine shop, I'd just make something similar to an HG-one.
expy98

Post by expy98 »

unfor there's no one place for all of his mods, it needs its own thread and sticky but this shows all the mods so far
and to order you need to PM him directly. He sells the parts individually as well as the whole shebang and I believe
he will also apply all the mods if you ship him the grinder, I'm sure at some additional costs...

http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/ph ... 8-170.html
Endo

Post by Endo »

Any idea how much?
scareyourpassenger

It really depends on what you spec out. I asked for a quote on the new catching method without the needle bearing or the alignment nut and it was $125 plus shipping and another $25 for the install. The bearing and the adjustment nut make a big difference and were worth every penny.

I am still using a wooden mallet but would like the kit. I might have to snag one before he loses interest in selling them.
expy98

Post by expy98 »

I think I saw some mention of the total price of the kit around $165 or so, that's parts only. Can't find that reference now but
it's best to PM Voodoo as it's possible there may be updates or change in price.

I have tried it w/ both the needle bearing and w/out (thanks SYP) and altho it is better, right now I'm using the one w/out the bearing
and hardly miss it. I suppose when I switch to the one w/ the bearing the "ahhh" moment will come.

I have a wooden mallet but never use it, I find stomping the grinder on its pad works well for me.
Endo

Post by Endo »

expy98 wrote:I think I saw some mention of the total price of the kit around $165 or so, that's parts only.
Too much for me. Besides, I don't like the rigid alignment and tiny distance between bearings. This is a step backwards IMO.
scareyourpassenger wrote:I am still using a wooden mallet ...
My current method involves placing the spare plastic container from my Vario under the hopper hole, shaking it, then tapping both on the counter to get the last 1g out. I then pour from the container into the PF. Still annoying, but at least no hammer or paper on the counter.

Return to “Coffee Grinders”