Mazzer Upgrade

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
yokomist

Mazzer Upgrade

Post by yokomist »

I finally decided it was time to upgrade my mini mazzer before I move across the world and the prices double.

I won an auction today for a Mazzer Super Jolly. Hopefully it will serve me well and increase the quality of coffee coming out of my setup.
New Grinder
New Grinder
mazzer.jpg (28.7 KiB) Viewed 15579 times
I have to say it was Endo that posted photos showing how well the Black SJ looks with the Vivaldi. They do seem like a nice team.

Endo, is it the schectermatic schnozzola you have on your SJ? How have you found it?

Does anyone know about the built in tamper on this grinder? Will regular tamper bases screw on?

Let me know if anyone has some tips to get the best out of this grinder.

Thanks!

Bevan
Endo

Re: Mazzer Upgrade

Post by Endo »

Hey! That's a cool looking SJ. 8)
yokomist wrote: Does anyone know about the built in tamper on this grinder? Will regular tamper bases screw on?
It's got what's called the "telescopic tamper" add-on. It also has an extended PF fork that is required to make it work. The kit is nicely made and sells for about $100 in the UK here:

http://www.coffeehit.co.uk/PRD_ProductD ... pic-Tamper

You can always add back on an original short PF fork if you wanted. They sell them here:

http://www.espressoparts.com/MAZ_8
yokomist wrote:Endo, is it the schectermatic schnozzola you have on your SJ? How have you found it?
I still have the schnozz, but the black cardboard one I made wore out so I made another out of plastic. Nothing to fancy. I just glued togther a little plastic cone/funnel that fits inside the exit hole from the bottom. I find it works well to keep the grounds falling nicely in the center of the PF. This way, with the doser breaking up clumps, I don't even bother to distibute the grounds and I still get nice center pours....with a little nutation.

You might want to get the small hopper. I find the regular hopper HUGE.
yokomist

Post by yokomist »

Thanks for the reply Endo,

I emailed the website you linked to see if they sell the tamper bases individually.

Oh I was just reading this thread on HB:
http://www.home-barista.com/advice/star ... t9821.html

"The Mazzer Mini is a great grinder. I regret upgrading from my Mini. I read the TGP too and got sucked in, going from a Mini to a SJ. In my opinion the differences are exaggerated. When you go beyond the Mini, I feel the huge jump in money and inconvenience is not sufficiently offset by the very small improvement in taste."

I was suprised to read that from you as I am expecting a jump in quality from my mini. Given that the post was 2 years ago and you have also thrown the Vario into the mix, do you still think the upgrade to the SJ was a mistake? I will have both my Mini and SJ together for a while before I put the Mini up for sale, perhaps if I notice no big difference I will sell the SJ instead.

Thanks,

Bevan
Endo

Post by Endo »

Well, I admit I was exaggerating a bit to make a point. :smile:

I think the big grinder fad over the last few years was WAY over hyped and distracted greatly from other improvements just as significant (like basket shape, water distribution, etc).

I feel the Mini Mazzer is getting a very bad rap lately. (Remember, this is the same grinder that scored 10 out of 10 by the same bunch only a few years ealier!)

If you got your SJ used, it's very tough to beat in terms of taste and grinder quality for the $.
Endo

Post by Endo »

For those interested, here's some photos of my plastic "schnozz" i made for my Mazzer. Works extremely well. I get a little mound right in the center of the PF. No mess and best of all, the pile of grounds is so neat I don't even need to distribute the grounds. Just tamp and go.

Took all of 5 minutes to make.
Schnozz Alone
Schnozz Alone
IMG_3091 (480x320).jpg (108.11 KiB) Viewed 15514 times
View from Inside Doser
View from Inside Doser
IMG_3092 (480x320).jpg (116.72 KiB) Viewed 15514 times
Plastic Schnozz
Plastic Schnozz
IMG_3094 (480x320).jpg (91.08 KiB) Viewed 15514 times
Endo

Post by Endo »

And here's fancier epoxy version I made of the schnozz as well. (Surfboard epoxy stick of course!)

But I actually prefer the plastic schnozz below. It seems to deliver a nicer pile of grounds due to the steeper sides. The hard epoxy would work if I shaped it a bit differently, but why bother if the plastic version is cheaper, easier to see from outside, and easier to remove to clean.
2 piece moldable epoxy
2 piece moldable epoxy
IMG_3085 (480x320).jpg (102.65 KiB) Viewed 15514 times
Epoxy in doser with hole
Epoxy in doser with hole
IMG_3090 (480x320).jpg (129.26 KiB) Viewed 15514 times
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

Endo wrote:For those interested, here's some photos of my plastic "schnozz" i made for my Mazzer. Works extremely well. I get a little mound right in the center of the PF. No mess and best of all, the pile of grounds is so neat I don't even need to distribute the grounds. Just tamp and go.

Took all of 5 minutes to make.
IMG_3094 (480x320).jpg
IMG_3092 (480x320).jpg
IMG_3091 (480x320).jpg
How is the plastic schnozz attached? I just recently picked up a used SJ from a small coffee shop in Hollywood. I love it compared to my Doserless Rockey. Thinking about a Doserless conversion but am actually enjoying the doser. Very inexpensive funnel on eBay from a guy making them in Sacramento $85. Probably will pick one up just to experiment. $85 for nozzle and a back plate from Mazzer for $29. Makes my purchase much less than an actuall Doserless SJ. Saved about $500.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

rhinoevans wrote:Very inexpensive funnel on eBay from a guy making them in Sacramento $85. Probably will pick one up just to experiment. $85 for nozzle and a back plate from Mazzer for $29.
Could you post a link to this offer?
I also have a SJ that could use a funnel.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

slo wrote:
rhinoevans wrote:Very inexpensive funnel on eBay from a guy making them in Sacramento $85. Probably will pick one up just to experiment. $85 for nozzle and a back plate from Mazzer for $29.
Could you post a link to this offer?
I also have a SJ that could use a funnel.
Now $75

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mazzer-Supe ... 4ae76300fa

He makes them. So if you search Mazzer grinder you will see it. When they sell he will post another
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Thank you.
I had done my search with "funnel coffee" and it did not come up in the top few hundred... I gave up an asked. I should have tried "funnel grinder"...

It looks nice. Does the Mazzer doser lid fit well on top?
Does he also do the backing plate?
At this time there is none offered.
Thanks again
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

slo wrote:Thank you.
I had done my search with "funnel coffee" and it did not come up in the top few hundred... I gave up an asked. I should have tried "funnel grinder"...

It looks nice. Does the Mazzer doser lid fit well on top?
Does he also do the backing plate?
At this time there is none offered.
Thanks again
I just ordered one and it should have been their for u to see???. Not sure about the lid. He said he is going to make lids. I am hoping my mazzer lid fits

The backing plate is from mazzer. $29 from espressoparts.com

http://www.espressoparts.com/parts/coff ... king-plate

Ebay sellers ebay name. Wezkozcustoms
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

Return to “Coffee Grinders”