vario settings

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
comrade

vario settings

Post by comrade »

hello again,

I meant to buy a scale along with the new machine but seem to have forgotten. Can anyone give me a feel for how many seconds per single and double shots. I would appreciate it greatly.

cheers
symbology

Re: vario settings

Post by symbology »

It is going to vary by the bean. For me, I get just over 10 seconds for 14grams. Again, it depends on the beans. I have been trying to stick with 14 gram doses and it has worked out pretty well for me.
jbb
God Shot

Post by jbb »

In addition to intrinsic variation between roasts and beans, the set point of your calibration may also make it difficult to compare your grind rate directly with that of other Vario users. That said, symbology's value of 14 g in about 10 sec seems about right to me. I'm programmed for 11.2 sec. That typically gives me 15.5 g which I seem to be gravitating to with the double basket (one click from top macro, usually center to 5 from top on micro). But I always weight the dose; a habit Sylvia beat into me quite soundly.

Instead of trying to do your dosing by grinder time, you could also just go for a grind time that gives you enough grounds to nicely level off your basket, then adjust the grind until you're getting the pour you want. If you try the little PF holder that comes with the Vario I will be interested to know what you think of it.
Endo

Post by Endo »

jbb wrote:I'm programmed for 11.2 sec. That typically gives me 15.5 g which I seem to be gravitating to with the double basket.
That's about the same as me. Mine is set to 11.3 sec.

In my mind, weighing doses defeats the purpose of the Vario. I weight mine on my Super Jolly (which may be partially why I prefer shots from the SJ).
symbology

Post by symbology »

Endo wrote:
jbb wrote:I'm programmed for 11.2 sec. That typically gives me 15.5 g which I seem to be gravitating to with the double basket.
That's about the same as me. Mine is set to 11.3 sec.

In my mind, weighing doses defeats the purpose of the Vario. I weight mine on my Super Jolly (which may be partially why I prefer shots from the SJ).
Weighing doses defeats the purpose of the Vario? You mean, weighing every dose right? How was it you arrived at 11.3 seconds on your Vario? Did you happen to use a scale and weigh the dose while dialing it in?
Endo

Post by Endo »

symbology wrote:Weighing doses defeats the purpose of the Vario? You mean, weighing every dose right? How was it you arrived at 11.3 seconds on your Vario? Did you happen to use a scale and weigh the dose while dialing it in?
Yes. That's what I mean. The main reason I got the Vario was for convenience. If I have to weigh each shot, I'd just stick with my SJ.

I got to 11.3 seconds by trial and error. I use taste and the bottomless PF. I weighed once but have lost interest lately. Vario is for when I'm in a rush (i.e. for milk drinks). SJ and scale is for quality and consistancy (when I'm not rushed and making espressos). I often use different blends in each grinder as well.

Return to “Coffee Grinders”