The Cocobolo Project

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
JohnB

The Cocobolo Project

Post by JohnB »

When I came up with the idea of getting the Cocobolo covers/handles made last November I never dreamed it would be 5.5 months before I saw them. The adjuster handles are the product of 4.5 months of waiting for Les @ Thor to do something. The man gives new meaning to the term "part time job". Turned the job over to Dave (cannonfodder on H-B) last month & my new lids arrived Saturday. The Vivaldi steam knob is still a work in progress but when its right I will post some new pics of the entire set up in the Pride Page section.

My refurbished Major:
Major Lids.JPG
Major Lids.JPG (107.9 KiB) Viewed 8700 times
Alternate set up:
Alt Set Up.JPG
Alt Set Up.JPG (90.38 KiB) Viewed 8700 times
The "little" SJ:
SJ Lids.JPG
SJ Lids.JPG (107.53 KiB) Viewed 8701 times
Those doser lids weigh 1/2lb+ each!
michael
God Shot

Re: The Cocobolo Project

Post by michael »

looks super

is that some sort of short hopper on the major 8)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The "hopper" on the Major is an antique glass canning funnel I found on an online antique site. The one on the SJ is an aftermarket piece that I am redesigning. The sliding throat cover that came with it was useless so I am making a new one out of lexan & modifying the hopper to accept it so that it works more like a stock Mazzer piece. I was using a short Mini hopper but I hated the molded in finger guards as they made vacuuming out the throat area a real pain. Also it had a loose, sloppy fit in the throat so it rattled around. The new hopper has a groove that the grinder throat sleeve fits in so there is a nice tight bond & its wide open inside so no problem going in with the vacuum nozzle.
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

was looking for something to use as a shorter hopper on a kony so i could get it under my cabinets, any ideas?

does the mini mazzer e short hopper fit a kony 8)
caf4brains

Post by caf4brains »

Wow - that is beautiful wood - much classier than the plastic. Who knew a hopper cover could result in such envy??
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

caf4brains wrote:Wow - that is beautiful wood - much classier than the plastic. Who knew a hopper cover could result in such envy??
I'm very happy with the way the covers turned out. If we are able to make the steam knob the way I want it too look it should be equally nice.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

michael wrote:was looking for something to use as a shorter hopper on a kony so i could get it under my cabinets, any ideas?

The new Konys I see on line have that black locking collar where the hopper attaches. I believe if you remove that the short Mimi hopper will fit as it fits both my SJ & my Major. You need a 60mm opening for the Mini hoppers.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

michael wrote:was looking for something to use as a shorter hopper on a kony so i could get it under my cabinets, any ideas?

Have you read this thread? http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/ma ... t6250.html

Return to “Coffee Grinders”