mazzer mini e

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
michael
God Shot

mazzer mini e

Post by michael »

how difficult is it to change the grinding burrs on the mazzer mini e and are there any issues with getting them in at the correct start point; is there a resounce for this with directions; are there options available for the burrs?

one of my mini mazzer e requires a setting maybe 5 notches finer than the range marked by mazzer and i was thinking of changing the burrs; is there another adjustment that could be made instead?

how long should the original burrs last 8)
ebprod

Re: mazzer mini e

Post by ebprod »

Hi Michael,

I just looked at my mini-e. I am currently set at #1 plus 5 notches. This is 6 notches finer than the left side of the sticker.

I just put new burrs in mine, and it took probably 5 pounds before it settled down. Even with that, I am about 3-4 notches finer with the new burrs.

Putting in the new burrs is not difficult, but you need to be extremely clean when you do it. It only took about 15 minutes to put them in.

-Joe

michael wrote:how difficult is it to change the grinding burrs on the mazzer mini e and are there any issues with getting them in at the correct start point; is there a resounce for this with directions; are there options available for the burrs?

one of my mini mazzer e requires a setting maybe 5 notches finer than the range marked by mazzer and i was thinking of changing the burrs; is there another adjustment that could be made instead?

how long should the original burrs last 8)
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

what do you mean by settled down?

how long should the burrs last before needing replacement; i have 2 mini e grinders; one grinds within the mazzer stocker band while the other has moved 5 or so notches finer; any thoughts on why that has happened 8)
ebprod

Post by ebprod »

For the first few pounds the setting needed to be changed often. Over the first couple of week I moved it a couple of notches coarser, but now I rarely move it more than a notch unless I change blends.

The new burrs used completely different settings from the old ones. I have no idea why, but the grinder is working just fine now.

-Joe
michael wrote:what do you mean by settled down?

how long should the burrs last before needing replacement; i have 2 mini e grinders; one grinds within the mazzer stocker band while the other has moved 5 or so notches finer; any thoughts on why that has happened 8)
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

where did you get the burrs; did you use the ceramic burrs 8)
ebprod

Post by ebprod »

I got them from Chris Coffee:

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... zzersburrs

michael wrote:where did you get the burrs; did you use the ceramic burrs 8)
Endo

Post by Endo »

ebprod wrote:For the first few pounds the setting needed to be changed often. Over the first couple of week I moved it a couple of notches coarser, but now I rarely move it more than a notch unless I change blends.

-Joe
I have a new Mazzer Super Jolly (same diameter burrs as the Mini-e). I had exactly the same experience you described for the first month.

I think it's just a matter of "breaking in" the burrs. I believe they call it "seasoning" the grinder. Some people just get 5lbs of cheap old beans and run them through. I imagine it deburrs the sharp edges on the teeth that ar left over from the machining process (much like running a sharpened knife over a strap of leather).
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Probably explains why I am seeing more consistant pours/grinds/better espresso after moving the recently purchased Duranium burrs over to my vac pot SJ & grinding for espresso with the "seasoned" standard burrs. Of course I also stopped using the WDT & leveling around the same time so its hard to say which was responsible for the improvement.

Return to “Coffee Grinders”