Hand Grinder

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
Endo

Hand Grinder

Post by Endo »

Hey, check my vintage grinder I got for $50 off E-bay (a German made PeDe). It was never even used. Can't wait to see how it compares to my Zass.
Pede
Pede
bc84_1.jpg (14.83 KiB) Viewed 15528 times
caf4brains

Re: Hand Grinder

Post by caf4brains »

That looks great! Are you going to do a comparison test?
Endo

Post by Endo »

caf4brains wrote:That looks great! Are you going to do a comparison test?
You bet! I'll try doing some shots on the S1 with the PeDe (as soon as it arrives) and see how it compares with the SJ (David vs Goliath).
Endo

Post by Endo »

No Goliath slaying here. This Pede 435 makes a horrible espresso grinder. :-(

I had it on the finest setting (burrs touching) and the grinds came out looking somewhat like my Mazzer SJ (encouraging). But looks can be very deceiving. The pour from my bottomless PF was one of the ugliest geysers I've ever seen. The shot was over in 15 seconds and tasted horrible.

Oh well. Nice looking $50 mantle piece (or maybe a re-packaged Christmas present for next year)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I've never tried my Zass Knee Mill for Espresso grinding but it does a nice press pot grind when I'm traveling.
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote:I've never tried my Zass Knee Mill for Espresso grinding but it does a nice press pot grind when I'm traveling.
Same here. Never tried my Zass Turkish for espresso (only Aeropress).

Since it's designed to make a finer grind than the PeDe, it may work better. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I reaad if you buy refurbished PeDe from Oprhan Espresso they guarantee it will grind for espresso. I wonder if it is simply "hit or miss" or if thye do something special to make it grind finer. In either case, I wouldn't take the risk. It may have something to do with the amount of fines generated as well.

One thing for sure, I have a lot more respect for the consistancy from my Mazzer SJ (now that it's broken in, that is). :grin:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I believe that if they state that the PeDe grinder will do a good espresso grind then it is guaranteed to do so as they have tested/refurbished it. That doesn't mean that every PeDe will do the same.
Endo

Post by Endo »

JohnB wrote:I believe that if they state that the PeDe grinder will do a good espresso grind then it is guaranteed to do so as they have tested/refurbished it. That doesn't mean that every PeDe will do the same.
My PeDe was never used, so no refurbishment is possible. Still I wonder if there is something that Orphan Espresso does to make it grind finer. I can't see them throwing away half the grinders they get from E-bay. They must be tweaking the burrs somehow.

This seems like a good question for the H-B gang. They have a few PeDe owners and I think the Orphan guy is there too.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

They don't throw them away, they sell them for other brewing methods.
Possibly Pede marked mokka would do btetter, but still could be that it depends.
I have three KyMs rocking!!! and a Mocca (mocca brand, not mokka or anything else) that does the thing for Caravel in crazy number of turns. And Zass (for sale) that is very good but not for espresso.
Endo

Post by Endo »

The PeDe is at the summer house with the Hario. The quiet and relaxed manual grind and brew method is perfect there.
Endo

Post by Endo »

My latest grinder. Almost too pretty to use.

Could use plastic sides though. :lol:
IMG_3257 (480x320).jpg
IMG_3257 (480x320).jpg (94.06 KiB) Viewed 15175 times
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Wow! That is a cute little guy!
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
jbb
God Shot

Post by jbb »

It looks beautiful. The box looks like its made from some sort of hardwood; rosewood, cherry?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Definitely a pretty one. Vintage?
Endo

Post by Endo »

It's a 1961 Zassenhaus Record #531. (I fell in love with the handle, wood and the unique box shape).

I've seen Zass Brilliant #531 grinders before (the ones with no tray knob), but I haven't seen another Record #531 yet.

This one is mint condition too. :smile: Must have sat on a shelf.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Since you liked the Zass, here's a picture of my KYM "spanker". Another unused grinder. Love it.
KYM Grinder
KYM Grinder
IMG_3271 (2) (400x327).jpg (87.33 KiB) Viewed 15094 times

Return to “Coffee Grinders”