Electric coffee roasting VS BBQ real gas (Flame) roasting.

Discussions about roaster hardware and the finer points of their use
Cafesp

Electric coffee roasting VS BBQ real gas (Flame) roasting.

Post by Cafesp »

Hi everybody,
I'm new, not spending enough time to read & learn about ROASTING but
Niko wrote:You don't need that grinder right now, you NEED a Hottop.
M3 can wait, fresh beans cannot 8)
So I jump into it with silly???? like:
When cooking with food, real flame, charbroil.. is better than electric cooking. Does it apply to coffee roasting?
How's about BBQ cafe roasting? RK drum roasting?
Greatly appreciate your advices

Cafesp
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

you're into Traditional Chinese Medicine?
they claim a real fire is better then electricity. Generally I'm curing myself with TCM but there are some claims I don't completely trust... like that pineapple is Wood element for example. For me it tastes sweet, it's Earth I believe.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I've been pondering this one for a while...
gas vs. flame.
I assume flame is better like most things cooking-related but in this case the flame option would run you in the neighborhood of $4,000-$6,000 for a small sample roaster with no more the capacity of a Behmor (454 grams).
Tom from Sweet Maria's mentioned how very similar the Hottop profile is compared to his Probat shop roaster. I've read that the Behmor also rivals good commercial drum roasts.
So yeah, home roasting has come a long way.
Cafesp

Post by Cafesp »

Niko,
Thanks 4 sharing your exp. At least I know where to start!

Coffeeowl, ( sorry 4 off topic !)
I have no exp. with TCM but with practicing Tai-Chi & Chi Kung +drinking tea +cut down on meat; my wife and I did experience amazing results.(my wife is not easy be bought in till proven!)

Nathan
Weska

Post by Weska »

Certainly I prefer a gas burner to cook with, but for sustained and controlled conditions it might not have any advantage. Gas pressure--at least the kind available in homes--varies (here it seems to vary quite suddenly) and even the BTUs per cubic unit will vary with the supply from your utility company.

And there isn't any gas variac to take the sting out of it.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Weska wrote: And there isn't any gas variac to take the sting out of it.
My brother-in-law is a patent attorney, would you like his number? :wink:

You may be onto something....

Return to “Roaster Equipment and Use”