I've Been Meaning to Get Around to...

Discussions about roaster hardware and the finer points of their use
keithcutter

I've Been Meaning to Get Around to...

Post by keithcutter »

... roasting!

And, now that I have this awsome new espresso machine (V2) -- I'm taking the plunge!

I ordered a very modest roaster (FreshRoast PLUS), which I'm sure one day I'll outgrow. I just want to get some experience roasting in the mean time.

I've done quite a bit of reading on sweetmaria's and other places, and have one question:

After you roast the beans, it is suggested that you let the beans rest for 12-24 hours 'in a canning jar' before use. Should I put the lid on and tighten it? I've heard that the beans out-gas CO2, but I don't know how much -- not enough to burst the glass I take it???

Thanks,

keith
Niko

Post by Niko »

I'd get the valved bags, keeps freshness in and C02 out. I'm not sure if it would break glass but on my vacuum (plastic) jars, the lids get blown right off.
Sweet Maria's sells those bags in several different sizes. I use the valved bags in the first day or two and then transfer the beans over to jars later.
Weska

Post by Weska »

My freshly roasted beans go into canning jars with glass lids that snap down on a rubber gasket. Definitely these permit some gas to escape, although sometimes there is a slight hiss when I open the lid during the first day or so. No noticeable stress to the glass.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Keith,

Here's the plastic vacuum jar I use, they're great because they have a pump that sucks the air out.
You can get them from wholelattelove.com, I've got over half a dozen of them kicking around loaded with beans. I'd say they make the roasts last at least 50% longer. I did some tests once and I had one particular blend last twice as long than a regular valved bag.

Return to “Roaster Equipment and Use”