I'm crazy for Turbo-Crazy

Discussions about roaster hardware and the finer points of their use
Bud

I'm crazy for Turbo-Crazy

Post by Bud »

Man I tell you, I love the Turbo-Crazy roaster. I built one of basic design but I added a chaff ejector ring similar to Woz's, except I designed mine to be able open and close the opening to really micro regulate my temps as the roast is going. I put that roaster together for about 65 bucks, and someone would have to convince me hard why I should trade it in for a $600 Hottop that you have to change filters every 20 roast. I have been roasting in
Niko

Post by Niko »

Bud,
Half pound roasting for $65!
That's crazy, more pics and info please.
jonniewishbone

Post by jonniewishbone »

I hear you Bud. I am in the same boat but without an "ajustable" chaff shoot. I do a pound every roast and sometimes a pound and a half with consistent even roasts every time. I also do 4-6 back to back roasts in one shot. No problems in one year and I roast outside in the winter at -40
Cel with the same times and temp profiles. This came after going through 4 I Roasts in one year. A GREAT home roaster!!!!
Bud

Post by Bud »

Niko,

jonniewishbone

Post by jonniewishbone »

Johnny, I got a few questions for you, you said you have roasted in some pretty cold temps, are you using a box to hold temps in?

Nope, I prep everything inside as far as beans in the SC/CO and then start it up outside.

And did you need to reconnect the heater on the stir crazy for extra heat?
Have not had to yet..

I know many have roast a pound at a time with the TO/SC, you even go larger, did you feel a need to do any of the Stir Crazy arm mods?

I have been meaning to go to an electronics store and add some gadgets to the stir arm but ... have not yet. Straight arms seem to stir the beans up enough.

So far the stock arms are doing well for me, although I have thought of adding another arm at 90degrees to the original, but not sure if it
Bud

Post by Bud »

Just ordered a Diedrich IR3FM
Way too cool!!!

That is a gorgeous piece of equipment. and you won't even need a wrench mod

I assume you plan on doing commercial micro-roasting. I wish you all the best! Hope you have time to do a nice write up of your expierences with it, I am very interested in hearing about it.

Again Good Luck!

Bud
jackiechang

Post by jackiechang »

Jonny, Can I come over and play? I'm going to longbeach next weekend just to check out the toys.
Have fun.
jonniewishbone

Post by jonniewishbone »

Yes Bud, you are right there. A fine piece of quality machinery from what I have read about... VERY excited about the whole prospect. We are going to put it in our store along with a Spaz II and probably a Macap 4 stepless/doser grinder. Have a Valentina Levetta with an Macap 4 stepless/doserless grinder at the house now that was suppose to go to the store but..... too use to those morning espressos now so that set-up has to stay put. I also want to check out a dual broiler/plumb-in machine as well which I think would suit an in store roaster set up better. (Not to mention the quiet pump.... altho I have been hearing some things about a noisy fan lately!!)
I promise to give you guys a full report on the set-up, first roasts, etc. etc. when it arrives. Luck was with me yesterday when I gave them my VISA number for a deposit. There was an opening in the production line so instead of late August/early September I was moved up to late May/1st week of June :shock: Renovations, gas lines, plumbing, bags, cups, everything has just been put on the FAST track!! HELP. This is where you come in JackieChang... Come on over and PLAY!!!!
Thanks for the good luck wishes Bud. Just think.. it all started with a hot air popcorn maker in the garage!!! Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will post pics of the SC/CO on Monday as the pics are at the store. Sorry
Niko

Post by Niko »

jonniewishbone wrote:.... altho I have been hearing some things about a noisy fan lately!!)
You won't even hear the noisiest Spaz fan in a commercial environment. With all the ruckus, background noises going on, you'd be lucky to point out the sound of the fan.
jonniewishbone

Post by jonniewishbone »

:D That makes me feel a whole lot better!! :lol:
Niko

Post by Niko »

jonnnie,
take a look at what Chas wrote on this thread about a fan silencing mod:
wforum/viewtopic.php?t=295
scroll down to Chas' post (dated Apr. 28th) and you'll see a nice write up on what he did. I'm going to try this on my original S1 soon.

And Bud,
Thanks for the nice pics and info on the roaster you put together. I'm eventually going to look into it since my iRoar2 is starting to make funny sounds. It'll be a while before it's completely dead (I think) so it has a few roastst left in it...
jonniewishbone

Post by jonniewishbone »

As promised. Pic of my SC/CO and Bean Cooler setup.

Return to “Roaster Equipment and Use”