Settings

Please keep posts on this forum to topics about the programmable preinfusion option for the VII
Niko

Settings

Post by Niko »

So far, my favorite setting for a dry process Brazil is 6 seconds of preinfusion at 30psi. I will try upping the water pressure a bit (40psi) and keep the PI time the same to see what happens. Also, I will try the same exact coffee on the two Vivaldis and compare notes on the Passive vs. Progressive Preinfusion to add to the confusion for everyone.
coffeeowl

Re: Settings

Post by coffeeowl »

Niko wrote:So far, my favorite setting for a dry process Brazil is 6 seconds of preinfusion at 30psi. I will try upping the water pressure a bit (40psi) and keep the PI time the same to see what happens. Also, I will try the same exact coffee on the two Vivaldis and compare notes on the Passive vs. Progressive Preinfusion to add to the confusion for everyone.
:lol: :D
Anyway, I think I'll stay as I am. I'm happy and have it all dancing as I play, so why mess around? (maybe I'm lazy :) )
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I'm running a 25psi flow rate with a 3 second p/i & really haven't noticed much difference yet. Due to the heat wave I've been drinking mostly Iced Coffee but it should cool off in the next few days. I'll do a more intensive comparison at that point.

When you bump up the line pressure much above 30psi I assume you also have to readjust the pump pressure??
Niko

Post by Niko »

Not really, John.
I was thinking the same thing but I just bumped up my line pressure to 40 psi and the results were very noticeable. I locked in a PF with a blind basket (not the disc) and the output pressure was pretty much the same, didn't really go past 9 bars. I assume if we jack our line pressures any higher than 45 psi we'll probably notice the pressure go up.

Beware of tinkering with settings during a heat wave, things just don't work right. I don't know how else to explain it but it isn't fun. If you still want to pull shots during a heat wave, I suggest dropping the machine's temp 2C once it is warmed up. Iced coffee is a better idea :wink:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

So what did you notice after increasing the line pressure to 40psi over 25? I'm dialing in a batch of Terroir Konga Co-Op Yirgacheffe this morning so I turned off the p/i to get a base. Got a very tasty shot out of a so-so pour then bumped the p/i up to 6 sec. Much better pour but blander flavor. Still using 25 psi line pressure.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

For those of you that are seeing improvements with the p/i: Do you increase the p/i duration as you increase the size of the dose? Say 3 seconds for 14-15g & longer for 16-17g doses?

Return to “Post Installation Discussion on Programmable Preinfusion”