Settings

Please keep posts on this forum to topics about the programmable preinfusion option for the VII
Niko
Caffeinus Reappearus

Settings

Post by Niko » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:41 am

So far, my favorite setting for a dry process Brazil is 6 seconds of preinfusion at 30psi. I will try upping the water pressure a bit (40psi) and keep the PI time the same to see what happens. Also, I will try the same exact coffee on the two Vivaldis and compare notes on the Passive vs. Progressive Preinfusion to add to the confusion for everyone.
La Spaz VII (with timer) S5 Steam Arm & Passive Pre-Infusion, Mazzer Mini E Type B, MACAP MC4 Doserless,
MACAP Autotamper, 3 Thor tampers, Espro convex & CoffeeLabs tamper.
Scace Device, Alessi steam pitchers, Motta Steam pitcher, etc..

La Spaz S1 S5 Steam Arm w/ progressive preinfusion, Compak K3 Touch Doserless, Espro flat tamp
Hottop P, Behmor, iRoast2 and Gene Cafe

coffeeowl
Barista

Re: Settings

Post by coffeeowl » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:37 am

Niko wrote:So far, my favorite setting for a dry process Brazil is 6 seconds of preinfusion at 30psi. I will try upping the water pressure a bit (40psi) and keep the PI time the same to see what happens. Also, I will try the same exact coffee on the two Vivaldis and compare notes on the Passive vs. Progressive Preinfusion to add to the confusion for everyone.
:lol: :D
Anyway, I think I'll stay as I am. I'm happy and have it all dancing as I play, so why mess around? (maybe I'm lazy :) )
Pawel

Mazzer Mini
KyM

JohnB
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by JohnB » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:59 pm

I'm running a 25psi flow rate with a 3 second p/i & really haven't noticed much difference yet. Due to the heat wave I've been drinking mostly Iced Coffee but it should cool off in the next few days. I'll do a more intensive comparison at that point.

When you bump up the line pressure much above 30psi I assume you also have to readjust the pump pressure??
Speedster/Bosco Sorrento/ K10WBC/K30/Bunnzilla
KvdW/Pullman/RB Tampers
Hario NCA 3 & 5s/Wooden Neck Dripper/Buono
Zassenhaus Knee Mill
Modded Hottop B

Niko
Caffeinus Reappearus

Post by Niko » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Not really, John.
I was thinking the same thing but I just bumped up my line pressure to 40 psi and the results were very noticeable. I locked in a PF with a blind basket (not the disc) and the output pressure was pretty much the same, didn't really go past 9 bars. I assume if we jack our line pressures any higher than 45 psi we'll probably notice the pressure go up.

Beware of tinkering with settings during a heat wave, things just don't work right. I don't know how else to explain it but it isn't fun. If you still want to pull shots during a heat wave, I suggest dropping the machine's temp 2C once it is warmed up. Iced coffee is a better idea :wink:
La Spaz VII (with timer) S5 Steam Arm & Passive Pre-Infusion, Mazzer Mini E Type B, MACAP MC4 Doserless,
MACAP Autotamper, 3 Thor tampers, Espro convex & CoffeeLabs tamper.
Scace Device, Alessi steam pitchers, Motta Steam pitcher, etc..

La Spaz S1 S5 Steam Arm w/ progressive preinfusion, Compak K3 Touch Doserless, Espro flat tamp
Hottop P, Behmor, iRoast2 and Gene Cafe

JohnB
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by JohnB » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:15 pm

So what did you notice after increasing the line pressure to 40psi over 25? I'm dialing in a batch of Terroir Konga Co-Op Yirgacheffe this morning so I turned off the p/i to get a base. Got a very tasty shot out of a so-so pour then bumped the p/i up to 6 sec. Much better pour but blander flavor. Still using 25 psi line pressure.
KvdW/Pullman/RB Tampers
Zassenhaus Knee Mill
Modded Hottop B

JohnB
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by JohnB » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:05 am

For those of you that are seeing improvements with the p/i: Do you increase the p/i duration as you increase the size of the dose? Say 3 seconds for 14-15g & longer for 16-17g doses?
KvdW/Pullman/RB Tampers
Zassenhaus Knee Mill
Modded Hottop B

Return to “Post Installation Discussion on Programmable Preinfusion”