Temp offset affect on output

If you have already upgraded your controller board to support the new +-8C offset option and have a question or comment about it, post here.
ebprod

Temp offset affect on output

Post by ebprod »

I upgraded my VII, and noted the offset setting before I sent it in. At that time it showed one light on: this would mean -1, right?

Anyway, since getting it back I've noticed that I couldn't use the same settings as before. So I went back and found that I had set the offset to +1 instead.

My question is how this setting affects the output. For example, if I had the front panel set to 95c, then changed the offset from +1 to -1, what would the equivalent setting on the front panel be now? Would it be 93c or 97c?

I hope this makes sense.

-Joe
JohnB

Re: Temp offset affect on output

Post by JohnB »

If you put the offset back to -1* where it belongs then you will get 95C water at the grouphead when you press 95C. Right now with it set at +1* you are running hotter by 1*C from the factory set preset temp offset & 2*C hotter then the CC corrected offset..
ebprod

Re: Temp offset affect on output panel

Post by ebprod »

Was it possible with the old temp offset to have a positive offset? I just remember that one light was on before I sent it in for the upgrade. But now I have it set to -1 and everything seems way too cold.

I tried to measure using a styrofoam cup, but I don't know how accurate that method is. With the offset at zero, and the front panel at 94c, I am getting a reading from my thermometer of 90c.

Does anyone know if Chris Coffee keeps records of the setting they put the machine they sell at? Is there any better method of testing the temperature, short of a scace device?

Thanks.

-Joe

JohnB wrote:If you put the offset back to -1* where it belongs then you will get 95C water at the grouphead when you press 95C. Right now with it set at +1* you are running hotter by 1*C from the factory set preset temp offset & 2*C hotter then the CC corrected offset..
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

ebprod wrote:Was it possible with the old temp offset to have a positive offset? I just remember that one light was on before I sent it in for the upgrade. But now I have it set to -1 and everything seems way too cold.

I tried to measure using a styrofoam cup, but I don't know how accurate that method is. With the offset at zero, and the front panel at 94c, I am getting a reading from my thermometer of 90c.

Does anyone know if Chris Coffee keeps records of the setting they put the machine they sell at? Is there any better method of testing the temperature, short of a scace device?
You'd have to email service & see if CC keeps records of those settings. If I remember correctly you only had 0 through -3* offset adjustments previously so 1 light would have been -1*. Did you cut down the cup & place it in the P/F? Is you digital thermometer accurate? How many flushes before you got 90C?
ebprod

Post by ebprod »

I did some more temperature readings, this time putting the cup into my bottomless portafilter. I got a reading of 93c (front panel at 94c). Also, I tested my thermometer with boiling water and got 98c, but I think that it should read 99c for Minnesota. In that case, my front panel must be pretty close. However, this is with the offset at 0c, so I will probably put it back to -1 (where I think Chris had it).

If I understand the reason for the offset correctly, it is to compensate for heat loss between the boiler and the group head. What then would be the point of being able to set it to a positive value?

-Joe
JohnB wrote: You'd have to email service & see if CC keeps records of those settings. If I remember correctly you only had 0 through -3* offset adjustments previously so 1 light would have been -1*. Did you cut down the cup & place it in the P/F? Is you digital thermometer accurate? How many flushes before you got 90C?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

ebprod wrote:I did some more temperature readings, this time putting the cup into my bottomless portafilter. I got a reading of 93c (front panel at 94c). Also, I tested my thermometer with boiling water and got 98c, but I think that it should read 99c for Minnesota. In that case, my front panel must be pretty close. However, this is with the offset at 0c, so I will probably put it back to -1 (where I think Chris had it).

If I understand the reason for the offset correctly, it is to compensate for heat loss between the boiler and the group head. What then would be the point of being able to set it to a positive value?

-Joe
The factory builds in a fixed offset temp which is the same on all the machines. The programmable offset is to compensate for variances between machines. Your setting is reducing the factory setting by 1* to arrive at the correct grouphead temp for your machine. Mine is 0* so the factory setting was spot on. You can also use the new 8* offset range to reach higher & lower temps then you could get with the temp selection on the display panel. Say you had a lightly roasted S/O & you wanted to try something between 85*C & 90*C you could change the offset so that 91*C gave you that temp at the g/h.
Endo

Post by Endo »

I've been wanting to verify my temperature and pressure on my MiniVivaldi.

I was looking a buying the CC PF gauge for $98 to check the pressure. This seems to have been discussed already at length. What are people doing to check the temperature that doesn't involve a lot of cash (like a Scace)?
Niko

Post by Niko »

Chas was measuring temps with an inexpensive temp probe from his Fluke meter (I think it was the probe that ships with the meter).
Only thing is that you not only need a Scace (if you buy one) - but you also need a decent meter to measure the temps. It doesn't have to be a Fluke (about $200) but something decent would be a good idea. I'm not sure which brand is a good value but maybe someone can chime in.

Edit:
I remember seeing Chas' single basket with a hole drilled in the center, probably for the probe to take measurements with.

Return to “Post Installation Discussion on New Temp Offset Option”